Can someone suggest a game?

Noles20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got my first table and I play mostly at night after my kids go to bed. Is there a good game that is meant to be played alone? I have just been playing 8 ball and playing both sides myself. Thanks in advance.

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
When I'm alone,

I sit one ball on the edge of each pocket and one on the spot. Starting at the head of the table, I try to sink them, in the least number of shots. This game requires alot of English, so its good practice. Yet any ball configuration you set up will help you.

Webb's Billiards Supply
sales@webbsbilliardssupply.com
Facebook.com/webbsbilliardssupply

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got my first table and I play mostly at night after my kids go to bed. Is there a good game that is meant to be played alone? I have just been playing 8 ball and playing both sides myself. Thanks in advance.

A good game is one we used to call Skin Pool. You put the Cue Ball on the front spot. You put a regular ball on back spot with a regular ball like two fists to the left of it and another 2 fists to the right. You hit the regular ball, usualy the middle one into the cue ball trying to make that ball you hit go into say the right or left hand corner. If you make it you play either one of the other balls into where the cueball ended up so that ball will go into a called pocket. If you make all three with no misses, thats game. If you miss you spot whatever balls were made back where they started, you need to make all three in a row for game.

This is helpful for learning position play as the balls being hit are like your cue ball and it gets you up to speed on what the English will do when playing other games. I doubt there is a YouTube on this, you would have to find a pretty old man that would know this game,

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
I always play alone..... besides the guy rackin 'em... until he gets tired of not getting to shoot and quits LOL

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Track down the game, "Target Pool", Kim Davenport endorsed

Anyway, this is a great way to improve your cue ball control, stroke, and shot selection. Anyway, you can play alone and just pick 10 shots and add up the total and then put on a board an All Star Round, with those 10 shots, what the highest score was with a possible, MAX of 50 points.

Then when your friends come over you can challenge each other to a round or they can try to shoot those 10 shots and post a higher Top Score.

Good Luck

Mike

sysiphus

Registered
Put one ball at the lip of each pocket, with one on the spot inside the rack (at the point of an 8-ball rack). Set your order before taking the first shot. Pocket all loose balls without hitting the rack. Once all 9 of them are in, remove the rack and sink the 10th.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
When I'm alone,

I sit one ball on the edge of each pocket and one on the spot. Starting at the head of the table, I try to sink them, in the least number of shots. This game requires alot of English, so its good practice. Yet any ball configuration you set up will help you.

Webb's Billiards Supply
sales@webbsbilliardssupply.com
Facebook.com/webbsbilliardssupply

What's your lowest number? I've done the balls over the pockets in 3...so I imagine 4 with the ball on the spot.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Imagination

Use your imagination to make up games. Using your imagination cultivates and nourishes your imagination. As you progress, you'll realize that imagination is what makes a great strategic player.

As an instructor I tell students not to try and memorize everything I say or copy everything I do.

I try to get them to think about pool in ways that allow them to progress on their own. In other words, things as simple as looking for alternatives to every first choice in shot selection. To look at shots from different angles. To plan ahead.

No teacher can teach every shot that will come up in a player's future. I try to teach them how to approach every shot with analysis and imagination.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

yep, try this.

Grab a spare cue and some masking tape.
Place the cue over the galley portion of the table with the cue tip atop of a rail sight.
Eye ball or measure 3 equal spaces between the rails and mark with masking tape a couple inches long wrapped around the cue.
You now have a straight 2 or 4 ball rack.
CueRack1a.jpg

rack #273 | rack strength 3. Align this rack as shown on the "in" sight with object balls on the inside, closest to the side pocket.
First_rack.jpg

Place an 11" piece of masking tape atop the table and draw 10 boxes spaced equally apart. Fill in your choice of rack and mark down its strength.
First_rack_S.jpg

First_rack_St.jpg

Your ready to go.
Notice 2 things; the center line and the out of bounds line.
Play begins with ball in hand between the outer edge of the object balls.
The Objective; pocket all 4 balls without a miss for a perfect score.
The cue ball must always finish in bounds of the object balls for play to continue.
First_rack1.jpg

Lets shoot.
I'll go with the 1ball. Made it with not the best shape.
First_rack1a.jpg

First_rack1b.jpg

Slash and fill in upper left of the first square (rack/frame) for one point.
First_rack_S1.jpg

Went for a slight cut on the 2-ball and missed.
The object ball finishing closer to the center line is the new Out of Bound line for that side of the table.
Staying in bounds on a missed shot play continues.
Can not miss 2 shots in row for play to continue.
First_rack1c.jpg

Mark - an open slash as a miss on the 2nd ball shot.
First_rack_S2.jpg

My next shot will be the 2 in the corner, easy enough.
Cue ball must finish between the 4 and the 8 for play to continue.

I'll finish this in next post, reached 10 image limit.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Choice of the next rack is,
rack #277 | rack strength 3. Align this rack as shown.
Mirror a in/out rack at the inside sight on opposite sides of the table.
picture.php

Mark/update the score board.
picture.php

I'll go with the 4-ball
picture.php

Pocketed the 4-ball with good shape.
I'll take the 2-ball for my second shot.
picture.php

Mark it down.
picture.php

Made the 2-ball with good shape on the 1.
The table cleared of object balls on the one side - "it" has no Out of Bounds.
picture.php

picture.php

This shot sets up well for shape on the 8-ball.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

reached the image limit...

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...continuing,

wow, over did it on my intended finish(shape), however I'll take it.
picture.php

picture.php

Made it. Making the 4th ball without a miss is important
8 points and it keeps the frame open for points from the next rack.
So, do not fill anything yet.
This frame right now is worth 1+2+4+8= 15 points.

picture.php

on to the 3rd frame...

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Couples" for one person

I play a lot of pool by myself out in the shop. I start my session with 3 racks of break-and-run all balls with a penalty of 2 balls for missing a shot and 3 balls for a foul.

Then I play three games of scatter-and-run which is just like above only I simply don't rack the balls, just scatter them all over the table before beginning. Same penalties.

If I've got a lot of time, I play the game "Couples" which I made up due to being bored with 8-Ball runouts. Look under this "Cuesports: Rules & Strategies, "Couples" for the rules.

I'll warn you ahead of time, "Couples" is not for the faint-heart-ed ;) and it's an excellent way to train for shapes.

I intentionally made the game difficult to deal with boring sessions.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll go with the same as the last frame,
rack #277 | rack strength 3. Align this rack as shown.
picture.php

Mark it up.
picture.php

I'll go with the 1-ball.
All it takes is a nice little pop-draw - pushing to my left for
shape on any of the 3 other Object balls.
Up to you if you want to keep in mind that
your working on a perfect previous frame -
adding to it with this shot.
picture.php

:smile:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, I'll go...
picture.php

Perfect, having good angle on all 3 remaining balls.
When ever you can; clearing one side of the boundary's
is a good thing - more playing room.
I'll take the 8.
BTW **CALLED POCKETS ARE NOT REQUIRED**
A look from the other side
picture.php

No problem
4-ball is closer to the center line making it Out of Bounds.
1+2=3. So for thats 3 more points added to the previous frame.
picture.php

picture.php

Have great shape on the 2
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looking good... If, your not sure on this shot you
could take the points 1+2+4=7 adds to the previous frame.
picture.php

well... out of image space.

Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nothing to this
picture.php

Mark it down, 2 "strikes" in a row - for lack of a better term on a perfect frame.
picture.php

There's 15 in the previous frame and another 15 here, post 30 in the second.
picture.php

On to the fourth

2 in a row, feeling good so I'm going to press a little bit -
tightening up my line strength,
rack #164 | rack strength 2 1/2. Align this rack as shown.
picture.php

Mark it down.
On the rack strengths and the line strength – It is the second
measurement of the game. Overall you want a high point total
with a low “tight line”. If you are challenging your line with
someone else, the difference in the line strength has
additional point value when totaling the final score.
There is a 4.5 point value on every 1 degree of rack (line) strength difference.
picture.php

picture.php

I be back...