Two questions

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm watching some videos and I get the hitting the cushion three times stuff but there are two things I'm really lost on.

1. Can it be a combination of ball hits and cushions? Let's say I hit my object ball, it hits two cushions, then hits both other balls and another cushion, is that a legal shot? Or do I have to hit the other ball first?

2. Speaking of the balls, if I'm the white ball player, do I have to hit the yellow ball first? Or can I hit the red one first?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Does not matter which ball you hit first
Unless its the break shot you have to play thw red ball first on the opening break shot other than that doesnt matter

Later on once your a bit more seasoned you might start looking at defensive play and if his ball is glued to a rail youd save that one to hit last so if you miss your putting them in a tough spot to begin with

You may not contact the second ob ball until a minimum of 3 rails is contacted first and this can be done in a multitude of ways

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Examples

Ball 3 rails ball most common id say
1 rail ball 2 rails ball little more difficult
Another super hard 2 rails ball rail ball

3 rails first into 2 balls
3 4 5 6 7 rails into both balls

And on and on

Assuming your watching 3 cushion

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I'm watching some videos and I get the hitting the cushion three times stuff but there are two things I'm really lost on.

1. Can it be a combination of ball hits and cushions? Let's say I hit my object ball, it hits two cushions, then hits both other balls and another cushion, is that a legal shot? Or do I have to hit the other ball first?

2. Speaking of the balls, if I'm the white ball player, do I have to hit the yellow ball first? Or can I hit the red one first?
I think BTS answered your specific questions, but if you're interested in 3-cushion, I think the best introduction in print is Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. You can have it delivered to your house for less than $10.