Reviews on Bob Frey sneaky petes

SugarMan76

Thinking about purchasing a Frey sneaky pete and just looking for some reviews about the quality and playability of them. Any thoughts on them would be very helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good cues. They feel great to shoot with and have a thin handle. Mine measured at 1.24 at the end of the butt cap and the taper on the butt portion carried out a thin feeling all the way to the joint.

Only really two negative things to say about my sneaky.

1.) Points do not match up. Not a problem for me but I know some people go crazy over that.

2.) The butt and shaft have a little roll to them. It is alot more pronounced when joined together. If you roll the cue on the rail the tip would really make small circles. So you kind of have to reassess the quality. Having said that, alot of cues do not roll perfectly straight.

Overall though, I really liked the way the frey plays and would buy another but inspect the hell out of it.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I have one, 60 inches long. Plays very nice. Curly maple forearm is very pretty over rosewood, points are even. As good as it gets.

Vermy

Registered
I've had one for maybe 8-10 years and the shaft warped badly shortly after getting it and the clear coat finish has chipped off quite a bit over the years. I've never experienced any of those issues with the 30+ cues I've owned over the years.
Maybe they are better now but I surely would think twice before I bought one again. It does hit quite lovely with a 1970's Joss shaft though.

Last edited:

dulaney22

Registered
I got one about a month ago and the shaft rolls a little uneven already. Points are off a good bit but it's a Sneaky Pete. Hit is great, really like it just hope the shaft is done.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard too many bad stories about the Frey SP's so I decided to get a Keith Josey.
No regrets whatsoever.
They're amazing.
And if you want a LD shaft he'll match it to the cue.
I didn't get an LD as I simply don't like them on top of Keith makes one of the best shafts on the market.
His sneakies are amazing.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have one and it is my player. It just feels right to me with an SS360/2 shaft. But, early on there were a few white spots that showed through the clear. I also have an Omen Sneaky with the same shaft. They're nice looking, full splice with deco rings. They come with a 3/8 x 11 pin which is not as common a pin as the 3/8 x 10 on the Frey. The Omen feels very good as well, I just haven't hit as many balls with it.

Last edited:

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Sneaky petes play like any decent cue makers sneaky Pete. I've only played with one with a z shaft and it's a decent playing cue. If you're looking for a review with a Frey shaft I don't know. I'm sure that's zero help to you but definitely a nice hitting cue regardless

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Hobsy45

I've heard too many bad stories about the Frey SP's so I decided to get a Keith Josey.
No regrets whatsoever.
They're amazing.
And if you want a LD shaft he'll match it to the cue.
I didn't get an LD as I simply don't like them on top of Keith makes one of the best shafts on the market.
His sneakies are amazing.

If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the SP? I checked out his website, but no pricing was listed. I myself am interested in purchasing a SP, but would rather not buy a production cue. I appreciate your time. Thanks

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the SP? I checked out his website, but no pricing was listed. I myself am interested in purchasing a SP, but would rather not buy a production cue. I appreciate your time. Thanks

I forgot but I think it was 550 for a 60" cue 30/30 with a Triangle tip and a 12.75 tip size.
Waiting was about one year.
But for me it was no problem.
Mine has been my main player since I got it. It's amazing and plays real solid.
All the points are sharp as can be and are 100% even. No warping or anything like that.
Keith also got the butt diameter I like the most which is 1.22 inches at the very back.
As far back as you can go without falling off the butt with your caliper.
I love the hit of Sneaky Petes and don't regret getting the one I got from Josey for a moment.
It's the best Sneaky I've played and I have some top ranked classics in my collection.
The other Sneeaky's are not close to the top when compared to this cue when it comes to craftsmanship and hit.
Maybe as far as the collector's value but that's a different matter.
Order one and get on his waiting list.
They're good people and easy to deal with, except sometimes the wife can be outright angry and impatient with you. Deal with it gently and in modesty so as to not escalate things and you'll be happier in the end anyway.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an older Frey I believe, with a SS joint, that I had bought used from someone a while back. I have one shaft I believe to be stock with a Kamui clear hard, and another no-name shaft. I think it hits great...