Predator vs. OB shafts

tonto21

Registered
I am looking to improve my game, so I am buying a decent cue finally. I do not know very much as far as the technical aspects or difference in some of the higher end equipment, but something that has become obvious to me is that a high end shaft is essential. Predator and OB seem to be the shafts of choice, or so it seems...so my question to you is what are the differences in the predator shafts vs. OB. and further more what are the differences between models in brand ex: pred 314 1st gen vs 2nd gen vs Z? and OB1 vs. OB2? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
adding to confusion

I am looking to improve my game, so I am buying a decent cue finally. I do not know very much as far as the technical aspects or difference in some of the higher end equipment, but something that has become obvious to me is that a high end shaft is essential. Predator and OB seem to be the shafts of choice, or so it seems...so my question to you is what are the differences in the predator shafts vs. OB. and further more what are the differences between models in brand ex: pred 314 1st gen vs 2nd gen vs Z? and OB1 vs. OB2? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks

You should also consider the Universal Smart Shaft

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Easy Pick

I prefer Predators over OB's, in all tapers and sizes available..
( I own both shafts )
314 is 1st generation, its taper ,and 10 pie made the shaft less deflective than most other brands by a minimum of 28%..
314-2 -- its taper was more rounded to give even less deflection than the "314 1st generation"by 7 or 8%,,the 314-2 is about 35% less deflective than other cues on the market,both the 314 and 314-2 tip diameters are standard 12.75

ob1's are 12.75 in diameter on the tip, i.m.o. they hit like mix between mcdermott and meucci standard shafts only softer because theres cusion somewhere on the shaft ,I believe its in, or beneath the ferrule..

Predator Z is a smaller taper and smaller tip at 11.75 ,z's or 38% less deflective than other cues ..

Predator Z-2 tip diameter like the 1st 'Z' is european standard size at 11.75 ,,
because of the z-2 taper,, its 51% less deflective than other SHAFTS [including oB] ..

OB 2 is a 11.75 tip,with a smaller taper as well , making it less deflective than the Ob 1.. but deflective to a degree none the less !!

The Predator has a firmer hit ,with the Predator shaft, I can use less of the cue ball ,and less power to achieve english ,and sets..

OB's hits are much softer than predator,, I have to hit the ball harder to get around the table ,, and I have to compensate the tangent line more with Ob's to achieve my desired english ..

Predators Trump OB's hands down i.m.o.;)

Last edited:

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned a Predator and a OB1, I prefer the OB1. It's a matter of personal preference. Both are excellent shafts, you really can't go wrong with either one. I do believe OB's are made in the U.S.A. if that makes any difference to you.

JasonS

jason-sadler.com
Silver Member
I've hit with an OB-1 and a 314-2 and between the two the predator 314-2 suited my style. The OB-1 felt like I was hitting with a sausage.

I didn't stick with either one btw... If I were to get a special high-fangled shaft I'd probably go with a Tiger. That low deflection special amazing shaft hobnobbery is rubbish in my opinion (unless of course the shaft that came with the cue is rubbish) because anything you can do with a 314 or whatever you can do with a standard maple shaft with a good tip and taper that suits your style.

The real benefit that I see is if you go through cues a lot you wont have to adjust very much if you stick with the same shaft.

instroke2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've hit with an OB-1 and a 314-2 and between the two the predator 314-2 suited my style. The OB-1 felt like I was hitting with a sausage.

that's too funny...! I never heard that one before, I do agree due to the ferrule being wood, and the shaft having the foam insert. But still allot of players here swear by it.

Never tried the Tiger shafts but the Mezz ones are really good too.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I own 6 predator shafts (314 and 314-2's) and I owned 2 OB1 shafts. I bought the OB1 shafts to see if I liked them better than my predator shafts and I didn't like the OB1's. Maybe I was just used to the predator hit, but the predators just feel better to me.

James

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ob-1 vs 314

I have tried both. The 314 makes a plastic sound when you hit the
cb with any thing but center ball. I had a ob-1 but it was a little small
for me. Royce fitted a 13 1/4 ob to a new OB cue for me that I picked
up for him Monday. Only got to hit a few balls yesterday and it had a very
solid hit no matter where you hit the cb. The hit did not seem as soft as
the ob-1 just very solid. I am going to play for a few hours with it today
and will put my thoughts on cue and shaft in cue reviews.
jack

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried them all and hate the look of the OB shafts, but I play so much better with them that I will continue to use OB shafts. No idea why I pocket more balls with the OB but I do.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st, compare the Predator 314-2 and the OB-1 (both with 12.75mm tips). Performance (low deflection) is about the same. The difference is the feedback (hit)...the 314-2 vibrates on the grip hand, the OB-1 doesn't. The sound each one makes is different.
The smaller 11.75 tips of both the Predator Z-2 and the OB-2 give even more spin, but you have to be VERY careful in cueing the cue ball. A very small degree off from where you want to hit the cue ball will cause a missed shot! Also, both have a cone taper and not the pro taper of the other shafts, so the cue fattens up quickly when stroking it.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer the OB1 myself, but it's entirely a matter of preference - although there has been a spate of broken (sometimes repeatedly) 314-2's showing up lately. If your product breaks down with frequency - standing behind it loses appeal for me.
The only thing I will pass along is... If your stroke, and the control of it, aren't quite well established, I would never recommend some one moving to a thinner shaft for improvement. What you're buying is an increased opportunity to fail.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish that predator would reassess their quality control and figure out how to make a lively feeling low deflection shaft that doesnt break all the time.

I also wish OB would come out with a 13mm shaft as low squirt as a 3142 with a hard, stiff hit, and a white ferrule.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bottom line for the OP is just like everything in life, everyone has a different opinion. My friend swears by Predator shafts. I tried a Z2 for about six months and just couldn't get used to it. I play with a 4.5 ounce 40year old maple shaft with an Ivory ferrule, so I am probably the wrong guy to discuss deflection.

My advice would be to try the shaft that is on your cue before you go switching to something else. Hell, you may discover that the shaft you have feels the best to you. Also, if you switch, you should play with something for at least a few months to really get the feel of it.

I would agree with what someone posted earlier. If you change cues a lot, using a predator shaft will allow you to transition much easier. If you play with the same cue all the time, I really don't see the need for it. You just have to find something you like and stick with it.

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer Predators over OB's, in all tapers and sizes available..
( I own both shafts )
314 is 1st generation, its taper ,and 10 pie made the shaft less deflective than most other brands by a minimum of 28%..
314-2 -- its taper was more rounded to give even less deflection than the "314 1st generation"by 7 or 8%,,the 314-2 is about 35% less deflective than other cues on the market,both the 314 and 314-2 tip diameters are standard 12.75

ob1's are 12.75 in diameter on the tip, i.m.o. they hit like mix between mcdermott and meucci standard shafts only softer because theres cusion somewhere on the shaft ,I believe its in, or beneath the ferrule..

Predator Z is a smaller taper and smaller tip at 11.75 ,z's or 38% less deflective than other cues ..

Predator Z-2 tip diameter like the 1st 'Z' is european standard size at 11.75 ,,
because of the z-2 taper,, its 51% less deflective than other SHAFTS [including oB] ..

OB 2 is a 11.75 tip,with a smaller taper as well , making it less deflective than the Ob 1.. but deflective to a degree none the less !!

The Predator has a firmer hit ,with the Predator shaft, I can use less of the cue ball ,and less power to achieve english ,and sets..

OB's hits are much softer than predator,, I have to hit the ball harder to get around the table ,, and I have to compensate the tangent line more with Ob's to achieve my desired english ..

Predators Trump OB's hands down i.m.o.;)

It's important to note that your deflection percentages aren't refering to other low deflection shafts, there's no way a z-2 deflects 51% less than an ob-2. There saying the z-2 deflects 51% less then a conventional shaft, so there talking about standard non upgraded shafts from production models because even some customs have things done to them to lower deflection.

The main reason you have to compensate more with an ob-2 is because your hitting the ball harder because you believe you're not getting as much spin with the ob-2, all cues deflect more the harder you stroke.

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
The main reason you have to compensate more with an ob-2 is because your hitting the ball harder because you believe you're not getting as much spin with the ob-2, all cues deflect more the harder you stroke.[/QUOTE]

I find this strange......I play with the OB-2 on my cue and find I have actually begun to shoot softer due to the amount of spin I am able to develop with the smaller tip dia. Compensation for squirt/deflection is reduced due to a softer stroke being used.....at least this has been my experience. I have not used any other aftermarket shafts.....but I love the OB-2's performance

RBC

Deceased
I wish that predator would reassess their quality control and figure out how to make a lively feeling low deflection shaft that doesnt break all the time.

I also wish OB would come out with a 13mm shaft as low squirt as a 3142 with a hard, stiff hit, and a white ferrule.

Well, it would be pretty tough to build a 13mm shaft that squirts the cue ball as little as the OB-1 or 314-2! They are both smaller at 12.75mm and at that low squirt the slightest bit of mass makes a noticeable difference.

But, a hard hitting, stiff, white ferruled OB shaft?

You just never know!!

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are going to buy an LD shaft, I would go with OB. I have heard very good reviews. I have never tried one, but I didn't like the predator shaft. I do have an OB break shaft that I like.

OB also sponsors pool and gives back in many ways, one of which is to sponsor TAR and help to bring us those great PPV's. Thanks Royce.

svd

Registered
The smaller 11.75 tips of both the Predator Z-2 and the OB-2 give even more spin, but you have to be VERY careful in cueing the cue ball. A very small degree off from where you want to hit the cue ball will cause a missed shot!

can you explain how this works? i noticed this when i was going back and forth between an ob-1 and an ob-2 at the store, but i cannot figure out the logic behind it: if both shafts squirt very little and i am hitting the balls at medium or soft speed (i was when i was switching between the two), why was i missing more (pocketing less, i'm not talking about positioning) with the ob-2? if i accidentally put a little bit of side english on the cb it should have still gone straight when i hit it relatively softly, right?

i play with a 12.25mm ob-1, but i will probably get an ob-2 if can get my stroke to be more consistent at all speeds.

st

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
@Royce

YAY :cool:

Some ppl just leaving threads if you try to explain the differences of squirting/deflection with simple physics- all in all it s easy....the main reason is: The Endmass which contacts the CB, nothin else- after that some manufacturing *secrets* finish the final product.

Take it, feel it, buy it- very easy :) just feel good with your product, and all is good :p

happy new year,

Ingo