Looking for a new cue, $500 to $700 budget

behindthe9ball

Registered
I would welcome a few opinions. I realize some people favor certain brands but the point in me soliciting advice is so I can make an educated decision based on how I play and what I am looking for.

Here are a few brands I am looking at currently:

-Schon
-Mezz
-Predator

I currently play with a Viking and a McDermott 504g. The Viking is older and was priced for the "newer" player. The McDermott is brand new, and I like it, but nonetheless I am looking to add to my collection and will continue to do so as my disposable income grows:)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would welcome a few opinions. I realize some people favor certain brands but the point in me soliciting advice is so I can make an educated decision based on how I play and what I am looking for.

-Schon
-Mezz
-Predator

I currently play with a Viking and a McDermott 504g. The Viking is older and was priced for the "newer" player. The McDermott is brand new, and I like it, but nonetheless I am looking to add to my collection and will continue to do so as my disposable income grows:)

Mezz sneaky. Done.

VikingCueMfg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you played with the ViKORE shaft? The ViKORE is a low deflection, radially consistent shaft with the feel of a real wood shaft. There are some reviews right here on AZ.

Okay... I have to admit I'm biased but I don't want to sound really pitchy either. I believe that the ViKORE is one of the best kept secrets in Billiards... I really do.

If you've been happy with the quality of your Viking, you might want to check it out. A lot of our dealers have a demo set that you can go in and try it out.

Absolute best part... It is 100% made in the USA. We make everything but the bumper, weight and tip right in our factory in Middleton, WI.

JoeyC71176

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pechauer

Try to check out a Pechauer cue. Very nice and definitely above quality over viking and medermott

pudgie100

Registered
My thoughts are, the cues you mentioned would all be good choices. There are many other good choices as well, I currently play with a Jacoby. However, I would find someone at league who has the type of cue you are interested in and see if they would let you hit some balls with the cue. Then you would have a better idea of what you like.

bottom_gun

Registered
I recommend looking at Dominiak. I found recommendations for Dominiak in several posts and decided to give it a look. Bill gave me a great deal and built me 4 in total, 2 Ultra Petes for wall cues, 1 Sweet 16 break cue with a hard Kamui tip, and I splurged for a Sweet 16 player with a leather wrap and phenolic joints. All 4 are unique works of art. He used curly maple for two, birds eye maple for another, and the other was alternating birds eye and curly in his radial laminated construction. All play amazing and his customer service is top notch. For your price range you will be able to get a quality, custom, LD, wrapped cue built to your specifications and made in the US.

http://www.dominiakcues.com/index.php

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samsara! I just got a Samsara with their LD True Shaft. Absolutely love it!! If interested I can put you in touch with a great guy who I purchased it from. Extremely solid, well made cue that won't break the bank

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My thoughts are, the cues you mentioned would all be good choices. There are many other good choices as well, I currently play with a Jacoby. However, I would find someone at league who has the type of cue you are interested in and see if they would let you hit some balls with the cue. Then you would have a better idea of what you like.

Very good advice. The OP might also try to find someone at a cue show, or tourney, if they have the chance, and take something for a test drive. :cool:
Good post.
j2

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

-Schon
-Mezz
-Predator

Segen

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk