If you carry 2 or more shafts

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Do you carry 2 or more shafts with your regular player?
For those of you that carry 2 or more shafts with your regular player -
are they identical or different?
What's your thinking behind this?

If you don't - why not?
Have you ever been in a position where you wished you did?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I've never needed to carry more than one
But I have no where else to put the second

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have 2 shafts for all my cues and they are identical. If I feel like the shaft I am using is too dirty or somehow gets dinged, I want to be able to change shafts and have them be interchangeable.

For what it's worth....

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2 shafts marked for id
usually the same occasionally i try out different tips so i know which tip is on which shaft

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
For banging balls or heading to the watering hole I am building a sneakey pete with just one shaft because im tired of carrying the golf bag around.

For true gambling or tournament play I carry two shafts per cue.

For the playing cue the second is mearly a backup should a tip fall off or a ferrule crack etc.

For the breaking cue I have one shaft with phenolic and one with leather depending on the regulations of the tournament. Also as a back up shaft.

Since I started carrying the backups I have never needed them other then adhering to the rules for break tips but it is a great piece of mind to have. You never know when a drunk girl may put her arm out and snap your cue shaft while trying to catch herself before she puts her head in the wall.

Ask me how I know.....

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two shafts for my old player and two shafts for my new player. All four are identical in thickness (12.25mm), taper (pro and long), and tip (Triangle hard). Good old hard maple shafts. All four will fit on both butts. I play with my new player exclusively now but I use all four shafts on it as I can tell the subtle differences between the hit of all four shafts. Depends how I feel that day.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I carry two, usually identical but not always. Sometimes I am comparing tips. It's a lot harder to do that if you have to cut the tip off and replace it.

Side by side comparison, back and forth between the two, makes any differences much more apparent.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I am carrying two and they are mostly identical, although one does weigh .2oz more than the other, and I try to play with them the same amount so they wear out at the same speed. basically I am trying to double my prime time shaft years.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I have two identical shafts. It's come in handy. Had one shaft slightly warp so I changed to the other. I have not lost a tip in a match in a long time - seems the new glues are better and better.

Although the shafts are supposed to be identical, I always seem to have a preference of one or another. Probably placebo effect.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I carry at least 2, usually identical.

If +2, the other/s will be different.

Never know which one will feel right on a given night.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although the shafts are supposed to be identical, I always seem to have a preference of one or another. Probably placebo effect.

I have NEVER had two supposedly IDENTICAL shafts play the same. I've always preferred one over the other and used it almost exclusively. The other one remained a "backup" to be used in case of "emergency". I don't recall an "emergency" ever coming up. I have played for half a century and I've never broke a shaft or ferrule and I can count the number of times my tip has came off on one hand.

Up until a couple years ago, I always used my normal playing cue to break with and I still never had a tip come off. I actually prefer using my playing cue to break with. The only reason I don't do it now is that I'm using a Predator FAT shaft and I don't trust hitting as hard as I can with a hollow-ended shaft.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the cues in this case have two shafts & some have three but the 3rd stays at home.
The shafts are approximately the same sizes 13mm or 12.75mm and I wanted 13mm shafts
since that's the most poular and what I started using 55 years ago and12.75mm is included
because it just feels so great in my closed bridge. The shafts have extended tapers.

The 13mm and 12.75mm combination is great since changing shafts makes the cue play a
little differently than just switching to another same size shaft. All the shafts are 3.8 ozs or heavier.
Plus there's also peace of mind that if I had to change shafts I could whereas with one shaft. I'd be
screwed. One cue-maker is deceased, one is retired & one more about to retire so extra shafts are smart.

Attachments

• AZ Case Picture.jpg
    AZ Case Picture.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I have NEVER had two supposedly IDENTICAL shafts play the same. I've always preferred one over the other and used it almost exclusively. The other one remained a "backup" to be used in case of "emergency". I don't recall an "emergency" ever coming up. I have played for half a century and I've never broke a shaft or ferrule and I can count the number of times my tip has came off on one hand.

Up until a couple years ago, I always used my normal playing cue to break with and I still never had a tip come off. I actually prefer using my playing cue to break with. The only reason I don't do it now is that I'm using a Predator FAT shaft and I don't trust hitting as hard as I can with a hollow-ended shaft.

That's a great anecdote

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you don't - why not?

I carry two shafts. They are identical. I have had a few times having a backup come in handy. It's identical because I've found the shaft dimensions I like, and I'd rather not have a different feel when I have to call upon that backup.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

If you don't - why not?

Cue was made with 2 shafts. When new they were identical as possible given the variables with wood. Now they are nowhere near identical as I always keep one brand new. The other has been played with a ton. Has a different tip, been cleaned a few times so I'm sure its a bit smaller now.

The only time my back up shaft gets used is when something happens to the original shaft to where I would need to replace it. Then the backup shaft goes on and becomes the new playing shaft while the cue maker starts making me a new backup.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I carry a 2x2, 2 butts and two shafts, cause if your butt is broke all you got is the shaft.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I usually .. (well, more often than not anyway) carry at least 2 shafts for my player. Mostly one with soft tip and one with medium. Sometimes a stock shaft and 1 LD. The reasoning is that I choose which shaft to use depending on:
1. my mood
2. table conditions
3. type of game.

I don't knock anyone for what they carry or shoot with - to each their own.