Mosconi Cup is unfair

I realize there have been a billion threads on this and this doesn't need to be rehashed, but I was just re-watching the last Cup and it just really hit home how badly we are going lose...again. I don't really consider this negative thinking either. No offense to Jeremy Sossei. He may be a great guy and he may occasionally be a world beater, but Neils Feijen and Darren Appleton are psychopaths who will be putting their pinkies in Jeremy's butthole. I just wish it was team-something-other-than-just-America vs. Europe. Why should they get to pick monsters from a whole host of countries and we are stuck with Shane and whomever else is left?

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
Whoa whoa....

Take it easy there buddy. Laying down before the match even starts? I don't give a f' who is playing. It's pros vs pros playing 9 ball!! Anyone can win!

If u support the USA and have thoughts like that please internalize them. Lol

I know it looks grim considering the whole European team has won a world title in 9 ball but this years team will be better prepared then last years.

When ppl look at matchups they always look at numbers and stats on paper. What they forget is pool or any sport for that matter is played by ppl who have emotions and pressure. A stat or math problem never made a shot or won a match. It's only heart, nerves, and skill!!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize there have been a billion threads on this and this doesn't need to be rehashed, but I was just re-watching the last Cup and it just really hit home how badly we are going lose...again. I don't really consider this negative thinking either. No offense to Jeremy Sossei. He may be a great guy and he may occasionally be a world beater, but Neils Feijen and Darren Appleton are psychopaths who will be putting their pinkies in Jeremy's butthole. I just wish it was team-something-other-than-just-America vs. Europe. Why should they get to pick monsters from a whole host of countries and we are stuck with Shane and whomever else is left?

The Mosconi Cup started when the US was the dominant force in pool, if Europe was only limited to a single country they would have maybe fielded a couple of players equal to the US then. These days, just the UK vs US would be pretty even. It's just what the Mosconi Cup is, Europe vs US. There is a World Cup which brings everyone to the game, which is country vs country and that is also not the easiest thing for US to deal with either anymore.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure that the Europeans thought that it was unfair when we won the first 10 of 12 Mosconi Cups. Although I believe we may be at a disadvantage this year, I don't think that it is a foregone conclusion that we are going to lose. If our players perform well as a team, I think we have a chance to win. If you look back at the roster of all the previous Mosconi Cups, the team with the strongest roster didn't always win. The team dynamic and the ability to work together/get along will be key.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
No offense to Jeremy Sossei. He may be a great guy and he may occasionally be a world beater, but Neils Feijen and Darren Appleton are psychopaths who will be putting their pinkies in Jeremy's butthole.

One of the funniest and most accurate things I have ever seen posted on AZ.

Bravo sir.

Personally I think having Sossei possibly on the team over Dechaine and a few others is batshit crazy but I know why some decisions were made. This year was meant to send a message to players and fans alike about Matchroom is going to accept going forward.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I think last year they really struggled to get it together as a team and that's what killed them. I have spoke to someone who was at the last year Mosconi cup and they said that USA did not act as a team at all compared to Europe. They mentioned that the Europe team spent a lot of time together and enjoyed each others company and had fun. While team USA was in disagreement and were not getting along with one another. I do believe that USA will preform a lot better this year as a team and that we have a better chance at winning. Don't get down a America just yet. We need good vibes and for people to believe in our country.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
It's not unfair... hard work wins

Europe has a boatload of professionals who spend every waking minute practicing and refining their game...

we've only got one...

It really is that simple..

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The US dominated Europe in the Mosconi cup for many years. The game simply wasn't played in Europe as much and they didn't have as big of a talent pool or experience to draw from. I don't remember the Europeans crying about it though, or asking to have more countries included to help them out. They just got better, and of course the game got more popular over there as well even if it still isn't as mainstream as it is here.

The US still to this day probably has a bigger pool of players to draw from, just as we always have. The difference is that for a number of reasons, with a few individual exceptions, our guys on average just don't take the game as seriously and simply don't put in the same time and effort and work to improve and play at the highest levels as the Europeans do. This isn't the Europeans fault.

And the Mosconi cup is not solely about pool. It is also about representing your home country with pride, respect, class, dignity, and sportsmanship in the course of doing your best to win. Unfortunately that eliminates some portion of US pool of players from consideration. The Europeans are not as limited in this way as their players tend to be better ambassadors and representatives for their continent and countries and fewer if any have to be excluded from consideration. Again, not the Europeans fault that some of the US players can't meet the minimum requirements of personal decency so that there would be confidence they could be depended on to represent their country with a little class and sportsmanship.

All that said, although the US certainly isn't favored to win, I think their odds may be better than some give them credit for and their performance (win or lose) might end up surprising some people. It will for sure be interesting to see how it goes.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
The US dominated Europe in the Mosconi cup for many years. The game simply wasn't played in Europe as much and they didn't have as big of a talent pool or experience to draw from. I don't remember the Europeans crying about it though, or asking to have more countries included to help them out. They just got better, and of course the game got more popular over there as well even if it still isn't as mainstream as it is here.

The US still to this day probably has a bigger pool of players to draw from, just as we always have. The difference is that for a number of reasons, with a few individual exceptions, our guys on average just don't take the game as seriously and simply don't put in the same time and effort and work to improve and play at the highest levels as the Europeans do. This isn't the Europeans fault.

And the Mosconi cup is not solely about pool. It is also about representing your home country with pride, respect, class, dignity, and sportsmanship in the course of doing your best to win. Unfortunately that eliminates some portion of US pool of players from consideration. The Europeans are not as limited in this way as their players tend to be better ambassadors and representatives for their continent and countries and fewer if any have to be excluded from consideration. Again, not the Europeans fault that some of the US players can't meet the minimum requirements of personal decency so that there would be confidence they could be depended on to represent their country with a little class and sportsmanship.

All that said, although the US certainly isn't favored to win, I think their odds may be better than some give them credit for and their performance (win or lose) might end up surprising some people. It will for sure be interesting to see how it goes.

Perfectly stated my friend.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member

How many pool players are there in Europe?

How many pool players are there in USA?

I dont have the figures, but I am guessing 10 times more in USA.

This has nothing to do with number of countries - but attitude, work ethics and commitment

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think its closer than a lot think, and with the format and short races it could come down to matching up and a bit of luck.

The reason Europe have done so well over the years is down to the players not having a choice but to work hard. They all move away from home to a foreign country to compete on the largest stage... America. Its simple, you don't do well, you're on a plane back home. They have a lot more to lose in that respect for the foreign players playing in America.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Nine ball, race to 5 or 6 with alternating break is and equelizer for pro players. The lag, making a ball or more on the break and holding your break, the mental game, and of course who get the higher percentage of the rolls at key times will win the MC, not who is a world champion.

If none of the 5 Americans fold under pressure and dog key shots...they can win this. I know it won't be easy, but I do believe they will have a team that can lean on each other and gain strength from there. Go America. Johnnyt

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and of course who get the higher percentage of the rolls at key times will win the MC, not who is a world champion.

Europe have just been getting all the rolls... for the last four years.

If none of the 5 Americans fold under pressure and dog key shots...they can win this.

But the problem in the last four years has been they look entirely incapable of doing this.

I don't think it's just a question of mental strength - although that is a big part of it. A lot of the American players simply don't have the cueing to stop them cracking under pressure. Good mechanics/fundamentals don't fall down under pressure, bad ones do. Right now the US has too many players with poor fundamentals.

I'd pick a UK team over a US one right now - although I do think it could be competitive. I genuinely hope the US can perform this year, though. The Mosconi is at its best when it looks like either side can win - it hasn't looked that way in a while.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
No one thought anyone would beat Soviets ever but team USA did in 1980. I've got faith in our boys this year go team USA. :thumbup:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We cannot do much worse than last years 11-2 mule whipping.

Give the lads a chance this year -- try supporting rather than bashing.

Lou Figueroa

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Psychopaths...really?

Please tell us where you studied psychology.

psychopath, noun

person suffering from chronic mental disorder, especially with abnormal or violent behavior

dictionary, noun

publication that lists and explains words of a language or gives equivalents in another language

If you're referring to Darrel's occasional tantrum, I'd say they pale in comparison to the behavior of several members of the American team...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, Europe can field a dream team of five world 9-ball champions all of whom are current or future BCA Hall of Famers (Souquet, Immonen, Feijen, Appleton, Hohmann). If they do, our chances aren't very good.

A European "B" team of Nick Vandenberg, Jayson Shaw, Karl Boyes, Mateusz Sniegocki and Karol Skowerski would be crushed by the European dream team but would still likely be favored over Team USA. If Europe sends its "C" team, perhaps Albin Ouschan, Dennis Grabe, Mario He, Mark Gray, and Nick Ekonomopolus, we've still got tough action. Against a European "D" team, perhaps Chris Melling, Bruno Muratore, Darryl Peach, Ralph Eckert and Stephan Cohen, we've got fairly even action.

Yup, Europe has more top flight players than America.

Still, we're sending a solid team that has a shot unless Europe sends its dream team. Don't sell our guys short.

On a separate note, I don't much care for Jeremy Sossei having been singled out in the original post. He was 7th in last year's US Open, 2nd at Turning Stone and has won on the Joss Tour this year, making his credentials very strong relative to most of the "Mosconi 8." He also beat Shane at the Steinway Classic 10-ball event about a month ago. Jeremy is a fine player and our chances go down if he's not one of our five competing. Still, the statement that he doesn't play at a level comparable to the top few Europeans is accurate.

Dechaine's absence will, as some have suggested, be felt. In the Steinway 10-ball in August, Mike drew two of the Mosconi 8 and didn't break a sweat, beating both John Schmidt 9-4 and Justin Bergman 9-4. Outside of Shane, Mike is America's best rotation pool player and he proves it over and over. Still, let's respect Coach Wilson's choices. Somewhat unconventionally, Mark has opted to go with chemistry over quality, and perhaps this will prove to be the winning move. Then again, those of us who watched Dechaine and Deuel, with great teamwork and communication, easily beat Francisco and Efren in Vegas this July will greatly regret that the two will not be one of our Mosconi doubles teams.

Matchroom meddled in the team selections a year ago. Perhaps they will do so again and get Europe to send something far weaker than its dream team. Still, the last five times the US chose its own Mosconi team, it averaged eight match wins. so I'm predicting Europe will win 11-8 if it sends its best.