Does anyone know what this cue is? It might be stolen

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
A cue package showed up at a pawn shop, it had a case with league patches, a jump/break, and this player

These pictures are all you get, since they are all I got, please help identify. My guess is that the package was stolen and would love to get the owner made whole. 5/16x14 pin

If I'm way off and the owner sold these legitimately, good for him! You don't usually see whole packages at pawn shops unless they walked away from the owner.

Attachments

• received_10100628007210777.jpeg
    received_10100628007210777.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 1,523
  • received_10100628007001197.jpeg
    received_10100628007001197.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,504
  • received_10100628006906387.jpeg
    received_10100628006906387.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,499
  • output_01.jpg
    output_01.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 1,492
  • output.jpg
    output.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,498
A cue package showed up at a pawn shop, it had a case with league patches, a jump/break, and this player

These pictures are all you get, since they are all I got, please help identify. My guess is that the package was stolen and would love to get the owner made whole. 5/16x14 pin

If I'm way off and the owner sold these legitimately, good for him! You don't usually see whole packages at pawn shops unless they walked away from the owner.

I have no idea who made that cue, but that is a really beautiful cue. I really love the points, inlays, and the beautiful looking BEM in the forearm. Cue looks awesome I think.

It is my opinion that the set was probably not stolen. It is the playing cue, with a jump/break cue, and a case, right? The player (who ever owned the set) probably just needed to get a loan on the cues (with the case), and then did not have the money to get the cues back out of pawn. This happens a lot (I imagine). Then the pawn shop probably had the cues in the back for 1 to 2 months (to wait for a claim, or a stolen cue report from the police), before they could even legally put the set of cues (with the case) out for sale. I have no way of knowing if the cues were stolen, but I am betting that the legit owner of the cues and case just needed to get a loan on them, and then could not get them back out of pawn.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
There are other details that I left out that make me think it was parted from it's owner without their consent. Regardless, if anyone knows the cue, please post!

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prather forearm possibly? I buy lots of stuff from pawn shops. Here in Oregon they hold them for 90 days if it was a loan or 30 if they sold it out right. You could always ask the pawn shop if the combo was from a loan or sold outright. There are so many reasons people sell or pawn things. I have seen some nice stuff being pawned where people needed gas money because they lost their job. People die everyday, people create drug habits, people made bad decisions everyday. Being pool cue folks, we know the difference between a nicely made custom and a McDermott, most shops don't. No logo means they won't offer much.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are other details that I left out that make me think it was parted from it's owner without their consent. Regardless, if anyone knows the cue, please post!

I bought a pickup truck used several years ago off a used car lot. It had some minor cosmetic issues, but nothing that would prevent me from buying it. After I got it home, I went through a whole inspection. Found half a dozen photos of the guy's wife (I presume) quite naked, in some acrobatic poses.

Was it anything like that?

Freddie <~~~ just wanted an opportunity to tell that story

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you already buy the cue? I ask because the pics were shot with the cue on a pool table, does the pawn shop have tables or were these pics in the case? This one makes me 'hmmm'. I'm curious as to how this plays out. Looks to be a well made cue!

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you already buy the cue? I ask because the pics were shot with the cue on a pool table, does the pawn shop have tables or were these pics in the case? This one makes me 'hmmm'. I'm curious as to how this plays out. Looks to be a well made cue!

Made me think the op owns a pawn shop. Had to take it for a test spin. ;)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Prather forearm possibly? I buy lots of stuff from pawn shops. Here in Oregon they hold them for 90 days if it was a loan or 30 if they sold it out right. You could always ask the pawn shop if the combo was from a loan or sold outright. There are so many reasons people sell or pawn things. I have seen some nice stuff being pawned where people needed gas money because they lost their job. People die everyday, people create drug habits, people made bad decisions everyday. Being pool cue folks, we know the difference between a nicely made custom and a McDermott, most shops don't. No logo means they won't offer much.

I doubt a Prather blank very first pick the short point to the right looks a 1/2 in longer than the one to the left veneers don't appear to be real straight nor the marriage at the bottom, could just be camera, , to the build looks like some of the ring work looks quirky one box looks more rectangular next to square and some finishing is popping , I certainly don't think it's a high end cue maker who made this ,, overall not a bad looking cue ,

Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great looking quality cue. 6 and 8 pointers are hard to pull off perfectly and this one is close, and the ring work lines up on the butt. The brass insert in the shaft is rounded over, another extra step indicative of quality. The patina on the insert shows evidence of a well used old friend. You can buy all the parts to build the cue on line. Someone that had a lot of experience built that cue. One more thing, the BE forearm has an extra step to make the eyes pop like that, an inexperienced maker would not have the knowledge of that step.

Last edited:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a pickup truck used several years ago off a used car lot. It had some minor cosmetic issues, but nothing that would prevent me from buying it. After I got it home, I went through a whole inspection. Found half a dozen photos of the guy's wife (I presume) quite naked, in some acrobatic poses.

Girlfriend. I like them back. P.M. sent.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best I ever find are a couple of ten year old petrified fries and maybe a green penny.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
How many people on here have ever taken a pool cue they owned to a pawn shop? If I own a cue and need the money, no doubt I can find a buyer to give me decent value. Not implying only stolen goods end up in a pawn shop, that's obviously NOT true...but cues? There are a lot of things I'd pawn before a cue...you never get anything decent for them that way, they're not jewelry. If I'm desperate enough to pawn stuff (and I have been), it's cameras, guns or jewelry, since there are resources that give you a no kidding estimate of value that the pawn broker can't argue with...but cues? I'm betting it's still being missed by someone somewhere...

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago when I was drinking heavily, I took my Runde to the pawn shop. I got a loan for $200 or $250, I don't recall. A few weeks ago I saw a guy get a $125 loan on his pechauer as I was looking for guitars. I have dejibately seen the Blue book of cues at a shop or two. They take on Air conditioners, why not pool cues of value.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago when I was drinking heavily, I took my Runde to the pawn shop. I got a loan for $200 or $250, I don't recall. A few weeks ago I saw a guy get a $125 loan on his pechauer as I was looking for guitars. I have definitely seen the Blue book of cues at a shop or two. They take in Air conditioners, why not pool cues of value.

Good point. I know the ACs have a minimum scrape value but for the piddling worth- just moving one you are about 10% the favorite to injure yourself-crazy to bother with. There'd be none in my (hypothetical) shop

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Why would anyone have anything to do with this cue in the first place, if it's in a pawn shop, and you're not the buyer...

And why are there shots of this cue in a pool room, if the cue is supposedly in a pawn shop?

Makes you wonder... as we often do...

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Why would anyone have anything to do with this cue in the first place, if it's in a pawn shop, and you're not the buyer...

And why are there shots of this cue in a pool room, if the cue is supposedly in a pawn shop?

Makes you wonder... as we often do...

All the best,
WW

Someone bought it and wanted to identify it. I don't usually see packages, covered in league patches, weeks after a major league event with lots of traveling players, ending up in pawn shops. Made my hair stand up

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

hahaa... nice Freddie.. reminded me of a similar story. I bought a house and while demo'ing out an old built in closet I found a bunch of risqué photos of a woman on the back patio of the same house. The same lady showed up about a year later at 3AM drunk off her ass looking for the old owner of the house!!

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone bought it and wanted to identify it. I don't usually see packages, covered in league patches, weeks after a major league event with lots of traveling players, ending up in pawn shops. Made my hair stand up

what did you pay for it? I have heard through the grapevine that some pool players are degenerate gamblers and occasionally put their gear up once they run out of money to gamble with. It may have been stolen or lost, I have my info "hidden" in my cues and a GPS tracker "hidden" in my case. I frequent pawnshops almost daily, and the one reason I hear almost daily is "they need money for gas".