New and better way for Mosconi points rankings proposal

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello fellow AZ'ers

I like many of you look forward to the Mosconi Cup each year, for me the premier event on the pool calendar.

European team primarily has its own ranking system that is fair being the Euro tour. Of course for players living in the US like Shaw Appleton Hohmann not totally inclusive but they usually solidify their place because they are world champs who play globally.

For USA however I hear players say it is tough with conflicting schedules to chase Mosconi points around and to then get in the top 5 and get ousted by the wildcard pick which I imagine is shitty.

What about 3 events in the year 9 ball with same breaking conditions as Mosconi alternate break. These tournaments have regular prize money but also more heavily weighted Mosconi points or they are the only points available at all? Would make them super competitive and in the calendar way in advance and if do bad in one you can still do well in other two

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... For USA however I hear players say it is tough with conflicting schedules to chase Mosconi points around and to then get in the top 5 and get ousted by the wildcard pick which I imagine is shitty. ...

This year's Team USA is being chosen differently. The number of points events is 17, ending in September. But no one qualifies automatically based on points. Instead, Captain Johan Ruijsink will choose 4 players from the top 10 points earners. They could be numbers 1-4, 7-10, or anything else. Then his 5th pick can be anyone who is eligible for Team USA regardless of how many points he or she earned, if any. So Ruijsink really has a lot of freedom in assembling his team.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
This year's Team USA is being chosen differently. The number of points events is 17, ending in September. But no one qualifies automatically based on points. Instead, Captain Johan Ruijsink will choose 4 players from the top 10 points earners. They could be numbers 1-4, 7-10, or anything else. Then his 5th pick can be anyone who is eligible for Team USA regardless of how many points he or she earned, if any. So Ruijsink really has a lot of freedom in assembling his team.

Not much point in using a system at all

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

wow i didnt know that, thats even worse. So i guess people just have to play enough events to get into top 10, and with this field if you are not in the top 10 then you have no say whatsoever

i would like to see some sort of competitive process to increase tournament participation and equity in the team selection. The current process seems very arbitrary

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Who in their right mind would even consider playing in events because of mosconi points? Lets say you end up 4th or 3rd, then get skipped over - no way would i travel ANYWHERE cause of the points, if im there im there, otherwise, forget it
Jason

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree. It's almost entirely up to Johan. The bad news, in my opinion, is that the US Open 9-Ball Championships in October will not count for points for the USA team that is going to the 2017 Mosconi Cup.

Johan has said that he will choose the USA team before the US Open. Yet, the Europeans will use the US Open 9-Ball in determining points toward the Mosconi Cup. So, the most important 9-Ball event in the US won't give the USA players any Mosconi points.

At least Johan could count the US Open 9-Ball points for our Mosconi team in 2018, but he hasn't said anything about that yet.

Full disclosure: I am the TD for the US Open 9-Ball Championships.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I agree. It's almost entirely up to Johan. The bad news, in my opinion, is that the US Open 9-Ball Championships in October will not count for points for the USA team that is going to the 2017 Mosconi Cup.

Johan has said that he will choose the USA team before the US Open. Yet, the Europeans will use the US Open 9-Ball in determining points toward the Mosconi Cup. So, the most important 9-Ball event in the US won't give the USA players any Mosconi points.

At least Johan could count the US Open 9-Ball points for our Mosconi team in 2018, but he hasn't said anything about that yet.

Full disclosure: I am the TD for the US Open 9-Ball Championships.

1 event isn't going to make a difference anyway. It's not like we don't know who the best players are already and it's an entirely different format and pressure.

Hopefully they will count for next year though.
GL with the Open:thumbup:
Jason

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who in their right mind would even consider playing in events because of mosconi points? Lets say you end up 4th or 3rd, then get skipped over - no way would i travel ANYWHERE cause of the points, if im there im there, otherwise, forget it
Jason

hmm well dennis hatch just traveled to portland to play in pac west 10 ball to play in that event because it had mosconi points. dechaine,oscar, sossei, frost sky mills all chased mosconi points in events last year. \\

the better question is who wouldnt play in an event for mosconi points? except SVB nobody is a lock on the team so they have to get M points. Im not saying events should be points only still regular prize money and calcutta etc but mosconi points weighted events is and has been a a good way to separate players over the course of the year and in my opinion shows who is the most consistent players in the country who are playing most regularly.