Dear pocket size snobs of the world

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If you haven't run at least 3 racks of 9ball in a row of a solid week of playing, or at least run 50 balls in straight pool, yet keep complaining about the pockets being too large, please take up golf.

Failing that, please adjust the frequency and volume of your pocket size related utterances to once a year and 2/10 (10 being maximum achievable volume by a human voice), respectively.

The rest of the world thanks you in advance.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I once saw Earl run a 8 pack on a Billiard table. I didnt think it could be done but he did it!! Was a fantastic display of athleticism ive ever seen!!

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Can't Afford It

I can't afford to be a Pocket Snob. 5 1/8" Buckets

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you haven't run at least 3 racks of 9ball in a row of a solid week of playing, or at least run 50 balls in straight pool, yet keep complaining about the pockets being too large, please take up golf.

Failing that, please adjust the frequency and volume of your pocket size related utterances to once a year and 2/10 (10 being maximum achievable volume by a human voice), respectively.

Yup. It always kind of amuses me that some intermediate-level amateurs want real tight pockets on their own tables. In the past, I've opined that I have never seen a pool player who was "too good" for a 9-foot Diamond table with 4½" pro-cut corner pockets.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
How to Enlarge Pockets?

How do I enlarge the pockets on my GCIV?
Someone added a slice of wood onto each end of the rails.
I'd like to have true 5" corners with the correct angles and dimensions.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to change my pro-cut to 4.75"'. Not sure if its doable to go from tight to larger. It's no big deal if it cant be done.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
How? What Dimensions?

Oh it's doable. They all go from tight to larger :thumbup:

I'd like to change my pro-cut to 4.75"'. Not sure if its doable to go from tight to larger. It's no big deal if it cant be done.

How do I enlarge the pockets on my GCIV?
Someone added a slice of wood onto each end of the rails.
I'd like to have true 5" corners with the correct angles and dimensions.
What are the angles I need to trim my rail ends to?
50, 51, 52?
What about the side pockets?

Thank You

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I actually sent my rails back to Diamond to expand pro cut pockets to 4.625" and the sides to 5.125". They returned as modified. Anyway, I sold the table and am now enjoying my GCI at 4.75".
BTW, why are you wanting to enlarge from pro-cut?

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see it as a difference between wishing to be competitive, and the enjoyment of pocketing balls.

I think a person reaches a point in their game when they begin to understand, consciously or unconsciously, that they may never get any better than they are already; at this point they just want to enjoy the game. Thus larger pockets seem to be the best way to go.

But If a person is still highly competitive, then they may wish to play on pockets that are similar to competitive tournaments, and with pockets that require more accuracy.

Even lower skilled players who wish to improve understand that they will improve at a faster rate with tougher conditions. Don't knock those who wish to stay competitive.

Sure sweatpants are more comfortable than slacks, but some are not ready to take themselves out of race yet.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But If a person is still highly competitive, then they may wish to play on pockets that are similar to competitive tournaments, and with pockets that require more accuracy.

Don't be too sure about that!

When I recently registered surprise that tournaments were being played on 7 foot tables, I was basically told that was the new norm and I needed to get used to it. I don't see how that would make anybody more accurate on a traditional 9 footer, but there you go.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Yup. It always kind of amuses me that some intermediate-level amateurs want real tight pockets on their own tables. In the past, I've opined that I have never seen a pool player who was "too good" for a 9-foot Diamond table with 4½" pro-cut corner pockets.

I agree. It amazes me how many short stops there are here. I will be the first to admit that I can not beat the ghost on my Gold Crown with 4 1/2" pockets. Occasionally I can beat the ghost on my Valley but not the GC.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hilarious!

This reminds me of those players who claim that 9B is too easy and they would rather play 10B, but yet they are unable to string 9B racks or win a 9B tournament.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't be too sure about that!

When I recently registered surprise that tournaments were being played on 7 foot tables, I was basically told that was the new norm and I needed to get used to it. I don't see how that would make anybody more accurate on a traditional 9 footer, but there you go.

I agree about the 9ft tables, but I was addressing the pocket size specifically.

It still holds true though, if I'm going to compete on pro-cut pockets, even on 7fts, then that's what I wish to play on.

I find 5" pockets fine if you're just going to play at home, or in a Sunday game with your buds.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure who's worse...the people complaining about pockets, or the people complaining about the people complaining about pockets.

At least we can all agree there's only one correct way to aim.