Cue Ball last glance or Object Ball last glance?

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
In your scenario:

Pool - Hunting

Your hand - your hand
Cue - rifle/bullet (bullet would be the cue tip, actually)
CB - elk

However, there is no OB or pocket beyond the elk.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoppe's opinion is relevant to the discussion. Lou is showing us how smart he is. Only he can determine that Hoppe was a liar and that he unconsciously looked at the object ball last. He's a fracking genius. Or not, pick one.

Lou beat John, so Lou knows more about pool than anyone.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that I switch back and forth between the two, I feel this is a flaw in my PSR, often, if I find myself missing more than usual I can focus intensely on finishing my vision at the object ball and my game will improve immediately.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with C.J. Wiley last night and I forgot to ask him what he thought of this subject.

I will see him again in the next day or two and I'll ask him. Rodney Morris is here, too, and I'll ask him, as well.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I find that I switch back and forth between the two, I feel this is a flaw in my PSR, often, if I find myself missing more than usual I can focus intensely on finishing my vision at the object ball and my game will improve immediately.

Great Post! Thanks for sharing.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Starting a poll on what pool players glance at last before stroking. I've always looked at the object ball last and thought everyone did but I'm finding out that is not the case. CTE users look at the cue ball last and that might be reason enough to learn that system. Seems it would be easy to hit the cue ball in the middle if we're looking at it last.

By looking at the obj. ball last your able to see your results (good/bad) instantly when you pull the trigger. Immediate feedback helps one adjust to the play conditions and gain control of table speed.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
By looking at the obj. ball last your able to see your results (good/bad) instantly when you pull the trigger. Immediate feedback helps one adjust to the play conditions and gain control of table speed.

Agree. I look at OB last and always will. Guessing but I think about 99% do the same.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Every person sees things differently and their brains process the information differently.

There is no way to measure the correct way, unless you are measuring the same person who tries it both ways and finds one way works better for them.

If the poll is 85/15 and the 85 are bangers and the 15 are world champs, which is the correct way? Reverse the numbers and the same thing applies.

The ball I'm aiming at is the cue ball. If I have the cue ball aimed properly, everything else should fall in place.

I'm not saying I don't move my eyes on occasion, but I'm not staring at the object ball with a fixed vision when I strike the cue ball.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think there is a right or wrong way. Every person sees things differently and their brains process the information differently.

There is no way to measure the correct way, unless you are measuring the same person who tries it both ways and finds one way works better for them.

If the poll is 85/15 and the 85 are bangers and the 15 are world champs, which is the correct way? Reverse the numbers and the same thing applies.

The ball I'm aiming at is the cue ball. If I have the cue ball aimed properly, everything else should fall in place.

I'm not saying I don't move my eyes on occasion, but I'm not staring at the object ball with a fixed vision when I strike the cue ball.

Is your head down far enough that you still get a decent peripheral view of the OB?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to Willie Mosconi, in his "Pocket Billiards" book, Hoppe looks at the CB last because there is more allowable margin of error in 3-cushion than in pocket billiards. He says pool players should focus on the OB end of the shot.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
According to Willie Mosconi, in his "Pocket Billiards" book, Hoppe looks at the CB last because there is more allowable margin of error in 3-cushion than in pocket billiards. He says pool players should focus on the OB end of the shot.

Hoppe was a 3 cushion player.....those players do look at cue ball last, it's a completely different game than pocket billiards.

Willie gave BAD info (personally I don't think Willie was a good instructor from the pamphlets I read, and looked back upon), I learned from one of his instruction brochures, that the ONLY way to make a ball that's frozen to the rail is by hitting the ball and the rail at the same time, boy that screwed me up for decades as a young man, who never understood squirt/deflection and just played by feel.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hoppe was a 3 cushion player.....those players do look at cue ball last, it's a completely different game than pocket billiards.

Willie gave BAD info (personally I don't think Willie was a good instructor from the pamphlets I read, and looked back upon), I learned from one of his instruction brochures, that the ONLY way to make a ball that's frozen to the rail is by hitting the ball and the rail at the same time, boy that screwed me up for decades as a young man, who never understood squirt/deflection and just played by feel.

I agree that Mosconi wasn't probably wasn't the greatest of teachers. In his Pocket Billiards book though he state that frozen balls are usually shot by hitting the rail "an eyelash" before the object ball using inside english. At least that's good advice. But I have seen other tips in the same book that would totally screw up a new player. I don't think he had a desire to write instructional material. I think he was approached by people in the industry, and more or less produced whatever they wanted him to produce.

MalibuMike

Banned
Cue Ball!

About a month ago I took a lesson from one of my favorite pool players, Oscar Dominguez, one of the nicest guys in pool and doesn't mind giving mediocre players like me lessons. He taught me an awesome aiming system, and helped me to let my stroke out more, Ron Rosas had me doing tons of these short punch strokes. Anyway, toward the end of the lesson Oscar asks me which ball I look at when I hit and I said the OB, I had never heard anything about hitting the CB first. At first it felt very awkward. Oscar told me I get down on my line correct, just lock that in ad concentrate on the CB. My stroke has definitely improved. As well as my CB position, it seems like I have more feel too. Although I must say on some long shots I tend to rattle the ball, but these are on Hard Times Bellflower tight pockets. And his aiming system works best when looking at the cue ball, its basically the ghost ball point, but if he is cutting the ball to the left, he lines up the left side of his tip to that GB mark and then moves his tip to just about anywhere on the Cue ball to get the needed English. It works amazing for me anyways, also looking at the cue ball last has cured some bad habits, like rushing shots or popping up, or using body English to steer the ball in...
I am much more consistent and as my stroke improves I think those long shots will come, also to follow through a little more I just do not choke up so far on my cue, its a little back from 90 degrees when I strike the ball.
My friends all said, "Oscar is goofing you dude! Nobody shoots like that!" The I asked my friend Santos who also plays at Hard Times and he told me that he also looks at the CB last. so that's good enough for me! Still I am happy to find this thread here!