2 8 ball questions bca rules

wendyb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question1

Open table, opponent shoots for the 5 in the corner pocket, does not contact the 5, cue bounces off rail and hits some other ball. I assumed it was ball in hand as there was no contact with the intended ball. i pick up the cue to position it elsewhere and was told i had fouled by touching the cue ball. i was told that on an open table my opponent had no <group< yet so the failure to contact the 5 was just a loss of turn, not a foul.

question 2
8 ball opponent shoots for the 8, contacts the 8, does not pocket, but the cue pockets. I thought this was a loss of game, but i was told it was just a foul. the game continues whit me having bih.

Can someone clarify this for me? thanks in advance.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
rules

Question1

Open table, opponent shoots for the 5 in the corner pocket, does not contact the 5, cue bounces off rail and hits some other ball. I assumed it was ball in hand as there was no contact with the intended ball. i pick up the cue to position it elsewhere and was told i had fouled by touching the cue ball. i was told that on an open table my opponent had no <group< yet so the failure to contact the 5 was just a loss of turn, not a foul.

question 2
8 ball opponent shoots for the 8, contacts the 8, does not pocket, but the cue pockets. I thought this was a loss of game, but i was told it was just a foul. the game continues whit me having bih.

Print out a copy of the World Standardized Rules, learn them, and carry them with you. Otherwise you will always encounter different sets of rules and have to have a discussion of said rules before you start playing.

Most leagues play something at least similar to the WSR, except for APA which has a very different set of rules. If you play in any league (or tournament for that matter), get a copy of the playing rules before you chalk you cue.

Reactions: HAF

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question1

question 2

That is correct when no group is yet selected. As far as question #2, BCA rules state that it is game over if you make the 8 and scratch not if you do not sink the 8.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question1

question 2

FOR BCA 8BALL - not any/all other rules
Question 1: Yes, you fouled. You must contact your group of balls first (if no group established, then any ball other than 8ball) and then as long as ANY ball hits a rail afterward, it's a legal shot. So your opponent made a legal shot.

Question 2: If you scratch and sink the 8, it is loss of game. If you scratch but don't sink the 8, it's ball in hand.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why this was bumped up, but if in question 1, this "some other ball" was also "lows" and the ball or cueball hit a rail after that, it's not a foul. Also if it's an open table, as long as the cueball makes contact with a ball and something hits a rail after that, it's not a foul. You don't need to hit your intended ball for it to not be a foul, as long as you hit any legal ball for you to hit first and then contact a rail with anything.

Questoin 2, the only two losses in BCA on the 8 is if you pocket the 8 in the wrong pocket or you pocket the 8 ball and then scratch. Just scratching on the 8 is not a loss. This is the same as the world rules, but contradictory to what some leagues and "bar rules" are.

BCA, USAPL both use the world standard rules for the most part, so knowing the WSR will help in those leagues.

Question1

question 2