Old posters/prints

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
Another member posted a link to an estate auction site where a Gold Crown was selling cheap. I poked around the site and found these posters/prints:

http://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/4095/item/framed-posters-a-399218

As you can see, I paid $185 (plus fees and tax). Three of the prints are autographed: Irving Crane, Willie Mosconi, and Fats.

I don't have these in my possession yet as I'm in Alaska and the auction was in Maryland. I had family go to the auction site to pick these up for me.

I intend to pitch the cheap plastic, poster frames and redo the matting and framing. You might notice that the mats have holes in them and that the larger pieces have holes in the corners of the posters. These were in a pool hall at some point and were screwed to the walls. I don't think the smaller prints are damaged, but I don't know for sure.

So my question is, what do I have? Do the autographed pieces look authentic? How do I put a value on these (they aren't for sale).

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another member posted a link to an estate auction site where a Gold Crown was selling cheap. I poked around the site and found these posters/prints:

http://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/4095/item/framed-posters-a-399218

As you can see, I paid $185 (plus fees and tax). Three of the prints are autographed: Irving Crane, Willie Mosconi, and Fats.

I don't have these in my possession yet as I'm in Alaska and the auction was in Maryland. I had family go to the auction site to pick these up for me.

I intend to pitch the cheap plastic, poster frames and redo the matting and framing. You might notice that the mats have holes in them and that the larger pieces have holes in the corners of the posters. These were in a pool hall at some point and were screwed to the walls. I don't think the smaller prints are damaged, but I don't know for sure.

So my question is, what do I have? Do the autographed pieces look authentic? How do I put a value on these (they aren't for sale).

1. It's a great collection of prints for your mancave
2. I don't see anything unique, in fact I have seen almost every one of them multiple times.
Framing is really expensive, unless you do it yourself, I would probably leave them as they are, it won't change their value much, unless you just don't like the aesthetics.
3.Without looking at them with a loupe I can't say 100% but the Fats and Mosconi signatures are white which usually means its just a reverse of the sig. put on to show over the black background. These you should be able to tell easily .
Mosconi and Fats signatures are not very valuable anyway, Mosconi signed everything and Fats never signed hardly anything , he stamped it.
An original Fats sig {not the stamp} is hard to find. But still not very valuable.
The Crane sig is so dark I can't tell. I would guess about 99%, it was signed on the original and this is a copy.
Take them out of the frames and look to see if the ink color is different from the background or a little rough or ?
You probably need a magnifying glass.
Even if they are original , they aren't worth much.
But, it's neat to have them!
All in all I think your collection is worth about what you paid for it and they saved you the time of finding them 1 at a time and putting them in a frame.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
You asked me to identify as many of the characters in the pictures as I could.

Other than obviously Mosconi, the first picture, halfway cut off, is Jackie Gleason, as Minnesota Fats, in The Hustler. Standing behind him on the far left is the "Preacher," who was named Stefan Gersach, I believe. Can't identify the others, they were stand-ins.

One of the other pictures has a carom player in a masse shot. I believe that is Welcher Cochran.

The last picture is three little kids. No idea, but the one on the left sure could be a very young Cisero Murphy. Probably not though.

All the best,
WW

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You asked me to identify as many of the characters in the pictures as I could.

Other than obviously Mosconi, the first picture, halfway cut off, is Jackie Gleason, as Minnesota Fats, in The Hustler. Standing behind him on the far left is the "Preacher," who was named Stefan Gersach, I believe. Can't identify the others, they were stand-ins.

One of the other pictures has a carom player in a masse shot. I believe that is Welcher Cochran.

The last picture is three little kids. No idea, but the one on the left sure could be a very young Cisero Murphy. Probably not though.

All the best,
WW

the kids are from "Our Gang" Buckwheat is shooting