Wrap channel too deep

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What eddie0776 said !!!

Out of the pot and into the fire? LOL. I think I'll get a regular wrap done first before I play with stacked wraps. I haven't even done Irish Linen yet.

I took some lessons with a truly spectacular guitar builder some years ago. I asked him, "William, what do you do when you make a big mistake? Do you still have to toss parts in the kindling pile?" He said, "John, after a while you can see the big ones coming."

I've learned a bit over the years and I can see the big ones coming too! :D

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
Out of the pot and into the fire? LOL. I think I'll get a regular wrap done first before I play with stacked wraps. I haven't even done Irish Linen yet.

I took some lessons with a truly spectacular guitar builder some years ago. I asked him, "William, what do you do when you make a big mistake? Do you still have to toss parts in the kindling pile?" He said, "John, after a while you can see the big ones coming."

I've learned a bit over the years and I can see the big ones coming too! :D

I promise you it is a whole lot easier and faster to put on a stacked leather wrap than it is to pull the cue apart to replace the handle! Stacked leather is very easy and there are videos on youtube to help you. :thumbup:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I finished up my first cue but I made the channel for the leather wrap too deep. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix it at some point and redo the wrap one of these days when I get a jig. I have a bending pipe and can bend some veneer if I really have to, but I'd like to do something simpler if possible. I was thinking of maybe just wrapping it with fiberglass tape, super gluing it down and then go from there.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Hi,

Just have a piece of leather scived to the thickness you require.

JMO,

Rick

jollysailor

Registered
Old thread but was searching for some advice to build up deep wrap channels to install linen wrap.

I am aware there can be many different ways to do it but I would like to seek some opinions;

1. Tape up the entire handle
2. Thin wood veneers
3. A piece of leather
4. Two to theee rolls of linen (each roll enough for a cue)

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Old thread but was searching for some advice to build up deep wrap channels to install linen wrap.

I am aware there can be many different ways to do it but I would like to seek some opinions;

2. Thin wood veneers
3. A piece of leather

Depends....
How deep is it now? IMO, The depth it is now will determine what avenue I would take to make it come out flush. Measure from the top of the finished edge to the bottom of the wrap channel.
Dave

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished up my first cue but I made the channel for the leather wrap too deep. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix it at some point and redo the wrap one of these days when I get a jig. I have a bending pipe and can bend some veneer if I really have to, but I'd like to do something simpler if possible. I was thinking of maybe just wrapping it with fiberglass tape, super gluing it down and then go from there.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Trust me you aren't the first to do it nor will you be the last. I wasn't paying attention to one recently and had the same thing happen. Honestly changing out the handle isn't that bad and as you start to get more cues in for repair, you're eventually going to get one that has a warp in the handle and needs to be fixed. Better to get some practice on your own cue than on a customers cue. I still have the occasional chipping problem at the edge of the wrap grooves on my finish when I clean up the edges. Chris gave me some good advice a few weeks back that I'll be trying.

I'm fairly sure that with a LOT of work, you could probably build up a cyano finish enough to make up the difference. You could get a thicker piece of leather (especially your prints such as "ostrich" seem to be scived a little thicker,) or even switch over to linen and double wrap it. Leather wraps can be painful to learn without a jig and what I found is that I made it FAR more difficult than it needed to be. Mike Webb is 100% correct as usual. It's just a matter of lining up the ruler and cutting it one cut per seam. I will say that I found a good rolling paper cutter (that I stole from my wife's embroidery shop) made cutting my end seams MUCH easier.

Best of luck. 99% of the fun is in learning what NOT to do next time.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trust me you aren't the first to do it nor will you be the last. I wasn't paying attention to one recently and had the same thing happen. Honestly changing out the handle isn't that bad and as you start to get more cues in for repair, you're eventually going to get one that has a warp in the handle and needs to be fixed. Better to get some practice on your own cue than on a customers cue. I still have the occasional chipping problem at the edge of the wrap grooves on my finish when I clean up the edges. Chris gave me some good advice a few weeks back that I'll be trying.

I'm fairly sure that with a LOT of work, you could probably build up a cyano finish enough to make up the difference. You could get a thicker piece of leather (especially your prints such as "ostrich" seem to be scived a little thicker,) or even switch over to linen and double wrap it. Leather wraps can be painful to learn without a jig and what I found is that I made it FAR more difficult than it needed to be. Mike Webb is 100% correct as usual. It's just a matter of lining up the ruler and cutting it one cut per seam. I will say that I found a good rolling paper cutter (that I stole from my wife's embroidery shop) made cutting my end seams MUCH easier.

Best of luck. 99% of the fun is in learning what NOT to do next time.

I should have posted back. I DID redo the wrap, and I fixed the weight as well.

For the wrap, I added some veneers. That didn't come out too well, and it was a bit of a mess. To fix it, I built up layers of CA finish to fill in all the crud, and then recut the channel. That came out better!

The leather isn't perfectly smooth as it should be, and maybe one day I'll take another crack at it and fix it, but it's really not terrible. Just not a pro job.

For the weight, I had a custom tap made...very long, very expensive, but worked great. I made a fairly deep weight bolt channel, and then used brass set screws. Now the weight is perfect, and the balance is perfect.

It's become my main playing cue. Even when I switch to another cue that I'd bought previous to all of this, I still almost exclusively play with that first shaft I'd made, but I always come back to this particular cue because I just play best with it. I've made other shafts, and they play OK but they're not for me. I used some lighter ferrule material, a larger tenon...little shorter ferrule. In other words, made it a little lower deflection, but it's just not my cup of tea.

It's not really surprising, I guess, since I built all of this specifically around what I wanted out of a cue...a little stiffer taper, wrap moved back a bit, the kind of joint I prefer, etc. I'm surprised it came out well enough that I'm actually using it as my daily player, especially considering how I'd really rushed it, but I'll chalk that up to a healthy dose of beginner's luck,combined with a lot of help from guys here, especially Larry Vigus. I wish I could find some time to build some more, but between work and the kids my free time has all but disappeared!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

2. Thin wood veneers
3. A piece of leather

The short answer is yes. Besides the occasional oops. The modern day re-inventing of the wheel. (rubber wraps) which everyone that I've changed to date. The channel is deep. It don't make sense why it's even used. Compared to linen and leather, it doesn't last. Other options I've seen people have used is. Bondo and plasti wood. I don't think one answer fits everyone.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you change a linen wrap to a leather wrap, do you have to deepen the channel?

I have a cue with linen that I may want to change, but I don't want to do it if I have to deepen the channel.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you change a linen wrap to a leather wrap, do you have to deepen the channel?

I have a cue with linen that I may want to change, but I don't want to do it if I have to deepen the channel.

No. You shouldn't have to. But it really depends on the leather and the person who does it, to have knowledge about the leather he stocks. Leathers vary across the board from different suppliers.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Use a caliper ad find the depth of the channel.

Contact your leather supplier and ask for something 2-3 thousandsth thinner. That should work out for you considering the glue if you use contact.