koa wood?

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I was wondering if anybody uses Hawaiian Koa wood for cue building. It's a beautiful wood but not as available as it once was. I have never seen a cue made with this, if anyone has photos of any I'd love to see them.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure it is used but it is a little light weight. You could do a search for the word koa in the cues for sale section.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
Thanks Paul, I tried that on my phone but for some reason is not letting me search. I'll give it a try on my computer when I get home.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Koa makes for an outstanding cue and is beautiful as well. Like any wood, the piece must be chosen for quality. Koa is easy to pick. The redder the better. The yellow stuff is quite light & soft. The deep rusty red stuff is about as dense and hard as sugar maple. I was lucky to buy two very large boards of koa around 10yrs ago. One was curly and the other very ugly straight grain but red. I use it for handles on wrapped cues. Nowadays it's crazy expensive for good stuff. This cue has koa forearm/butt:

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
That's a gorgeous cue, qbuilder, i knew koa would look great in a cue! If I ever get a custom cue made it would defiantly have some koa in it. Thanks so much for posting the pics!

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
koabutt2.jpg

koacue.jpg

koahandle2.jpg

Have made a few curly koa cues but the good stuff is hard to find and expensive when you do.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brick
Wow, VERY nice ($$$Ka-ching$$$)
:thumbup::thumbup:
Gary

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
Very nice brickcues! It may be expensive to buy but I'm sure you can more than get your money back with a cue that looks that good! Impressive.

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad part about it is that you only find these pieces of 5A curly once in a blue moon. I have called people in Hawaii and tried to find and cannot. They quote me a price and say I have to buy $1000 worth and I say sure as long as it is exhibition grade and I never hear from them again.

Most is sold to guitar and high end furniture makers for jewelry boxes and such.
I always keep my eyes open for nice pieces but prices are around $200 a BF when you do find.

I do have a nice piece hid away that I found 6 months ago but I have been trying to find more.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I was lucky to buy two very large boards of koa around 10yrs ago.

I heard tell that you invented koa !?!?

Dave

PS joke based on a previous thread some time ago in a place far far away .... qbuilder does make beautiful cues using koa wood, of that there is no doubt.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Go to the Cue Gallery and do a search for "curly koa" (Be sure to include the quotation marks, this is important). This will return some good threads to look through.

BuzzSwiss

Registered
Just bought a koa wood cue 10 days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20170618_191821.jpg
    IMG_20170618_191821.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 905
  • IMG_20170618_191807.jpg
    IMG_20170618_191807.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_20170618_191733.jpg
    IMG_20170618_191733.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 982

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koa costs and arm and a leg, even here in Hawaii.

The one guy I know who has a koa cue plays pretty good for a one-armed guy. I think he could shoot a little better if he learned to balance his body over his leg.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have Pete Ohman making an extension for this cue right now.

Attachments

• Omen Koa2.jpg
    Omen Koa2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Omen Koa1.jpg
    Omen Koa1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 274