Wrap channel too deep

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished up my first cue but I made the channel for the leather wrap too deep. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix it at some point and redo the wrap one of these days when I get a jig. I have a bending pipe and can bend some veneer if I really have to, but I'd like to do something simpler if possible. I was thinking of maybe just wrapping it with fiberglass tape, super gluing it down and then go from there.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished up my first cue but I made the channel for the leather wrap too deep. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix it at some point and redo the wrap one of these days when I get a jig. I have a bending pipe and can bend some veneer if I really have to, but I'd like to do something simpler if possible. I was thinking of maybe just wrapping it with fiberglass tape, super gluing it down and then go from there.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

OR........
Seeing it's your cue that you built. You could change the handle and be done with it.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OR........
Seeing it's your cue that you built. You could change the handle and be done with it.

Ha ha...yeah, you're absolutely right! But it's just a simple no frills, plain jane. There's more work in the handle than the rest of the cue. The wrap channel thing was stupid. I tried plunging in, but it got hung up on the tool body and when it started cutting it suddenly went too deep. I'll do it much differently next time and it won't happen again. I just want to do something simple to get it to the point that I can use it to practice with a jig. Nothing more than that. :)

Man, I will never do leather again without a jig and/or at least some sort cutting template. Possible, but what a royal PITA. I'm sure it's very simple when you're good at it. I ended up making a copy of the channel with masking tape and using that to get the ends right. Then I basically just winged it at the seam. It could have been a lot worse but I'm sure I made it 10 times harder than it needed to be. :)

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A coat of epoxy maybe? And turn it down when it's cured.

That was my first thought, but I wasn't sure contact cement would stick to it. Maybe I should ask the question a different way:

Will contact cement bond reasonably well to epoxy or CA? If so, I could use practically anything I want....even just paper, and then saturate it with glue and it would make a good enough repair. Would be useless to prepare for linen, I think, because as far as I know PVAs don't stick worth a darn to epoxy and CA. I don't need it to last forever. I'm considering this a disposable learning experience, and as a last step I might take Michael's advice and tackle ripping it apart to replace the handle, again as a learning experience.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha ha...yeah, you're absolutely right! But it's just a simple no frills, plain jane. There's more work in the handle than the rest of the cue. The wrap channel thing was stupid. I tried plunging in, but it got hung up on the tool body and when it started cutting it suddenly went too deep. I'll do it much differently next time and it won't happen again. I just want to do something simple to get it to the point that I can use it to practice with a jig. Nothing more than that. :)

Man, I will never do leather again without a jig and/or at least some sort cutting template. Possible, but what a royal PITA. I'm sure it's very simple when you're good at it. I ended up making a copy of the channel with masking tape and using that to get the ends right. Then I basically just winged it at the seem. It could have been a lot worse but I'm sure I made it 10 times harder than it needed to be. :)

A piece of masking tape on the forearm and one on the butt sleeve. Put a pen line. Then line a ruler up with the lines and cut your seems. DONE. not kiddin.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A piece of masking tape on the forearm and one on the butt sleeve. Put a pen line. Then line a ruler up with the lines and cut your seems. DONE. not kiddin.

Do you cut through both layers at the same time? It just occurred to me that would make it simpler. Thanks for the advice, Michael.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you cut through both layers at the same time? It just occurred to me that would make it simpler. Thanks for the advice, Michael.

No Sir.
One side then the other. That's the reason for the tape to align the ruler. Although cutting thru both seems logical, what ever the thickness of the leather will make the piece on top longer.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No Sir.
One side then the other. That's the reason for the tape to align the ruler. Although cutting thru both seems logical, what ever the thickness of the leather will make the piece on top longer.

A little green sprinkled your way Mike. This is what paying it forward, and giving someone a little helping nudge is all about. Super cool tips from one of the good guys. :cool:
j2

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No Sir.

Thank you, Michael. I will give it a couple more tries like this without using a jig. I wanted to do something similar on this wrap, but with the wrap sitting below the handle it made it awkward. I really should have just stopped and fixed it right then and there, but the wrap was the last thing left, it was late, and I was anxious to get out to the pool hall for an hour or two just to try it out. I let my impatience get the better of me. :)

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I wonder if anyone's ever tried mounting a razor in a tool post, lock the head, and cut the wrap like that? Maybe I'll try that, just for fun. I'm sure I can lock my XActo handle in there. :) I know I need to learn to do it by hand, but I'm just curious if it's viable.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
change it to a stacked leather wrap since it is already too thick and has to be sanded down.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disclaimer-I know nothing about leather wraps,just thinking out loud.
But do leather wraps come in different thicknesses?
How about thicker leather that is used for different purposes other then wraps that my be a little thicker?

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
He is absolutely right...changing the handle with the forearm and butt sleeve at final size would allow you to go ahead and fix the weight problem too. But, the reason i agree with Mike is that the experience will be priceless. Right now you see it only as alot of work "which it is" but it also requires a skill you've not yet acquired. Simply replacing the handle will teach you 10 other things you never thought of.

Man, I will never do leather again without a jig and/or at least some sort cutting template. Possible, but what a royal PITA. I'm sure it's very simple when you're good at it. I ended up making a copy of the channel with masking tape and using that to get the ends right. Then I basically just winged it at the seam. It could have been a lot worse but I'm sure I made it 10 times harder than it needed to be. :)

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is absolutely right...changing the handle with the forearm and butt sleeve at final size would allow you to go ahead and fix the weight problem too. But, the reason i agree with Mike is that the experience will be priceless. Right now you see it only as alot of work "which it is" but it also requires a skill you've not yet acquired. Simply replacing the handle will teach you 10 other things you never thought of.

I will eventually do it. I'm just having too much fun playing with it at the moment. :) Maybe in a couple of months. If I end up doing it, I'll post back here what I eventually do and how it turned out.

I think I'll probably just leave the wrap and weight as is for now and just fix it all in one shot when I can.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey, I wonder if anyone's ever tried mounting a razor in a tool post, lock the head, and cut the wrap like that? Maybe I'll try that, just for fun. I'm sure I can lock my XActo handle in there. :) I know I need to learn to do it by hand, but I'm just curious if it's viable.
Yes it has been done. The hard part is holding the leather down flat to do each seam separately with that method, or we would all probably be doing it that way.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it has been done. The hard part is holding the leather down flat to do each seam separately with that method, or we would all probably be doing it that way.

Well, I should have read that section of your book before I did the wrap! I read it last night and noticed that you mentioned the idea of putting a razor in a tool holder. :)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I should have read that section of your book before I did the wrap! I read it last night and noticed that you mentioned the idea of putting a razor in a tool holder. :)

You know what John?
You earned my respect in handling and responding in this thread. Unlike most who ask then disappear, you stayed with it, and responded accordingly. Well done Sir.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what John?
You earned my respect in handling and responding in this thread. Unlike most who ask then disappear, you stayed with it, and responded accordingly. Well done Sir.

Well shoot, Michael. I didn't realize I was being extra nice...I'm a little embarrassed. :eek: Thanks, and thanks for helping out a newbie. :)