Break Stats -- 2015 U.S. Open 9-Ball, Oct. 2015

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are some aggregate break statistics from the 33 9-Ball matches streamed this week by Accu-Stats from the 2015 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship in Norfolk, VA.

The conditions for this event included: Diamond 9-foot table with pro-cut pockets, blue Simonis 860 cloth, Accu-Rack racking template, Aramith Tournament balls, measles cue ball, winner breaks, breaker racks for himself with the 9-ball on the foot string and the 2-ball at the back of the rack, break from the box (approx. 9" to each side of the long string), the break is illegal unless at least 3 balls pass the side pockets or are pocketed, foul on all balls, jump cues are allowed, and all slop counts (except I'm not sure whether a 9-ball pocketed in a foot-rail pocket counted, as that did not happen on stream). A 40-sec. shot clock (with one extension per rack) was used on the full-production matches.

The 33 matches (572 games tracked) were as follows. The figures in parentheses for some of the matches are the Accu-Stats Total Performance Averages (TPA), as calculated by Accu-Stats and shown on the stream.

Sun., Oct. 25 -- E. Strickland (.878) d. S. Frost (.830) 11-9, H-T Liu d. M. Chamat 11-6, S. Woodward (.825) d. I. Majid (.787) 11-10, N. Ekonomopoulos (.943) d. D. Mills (.879) 11-6, J. Morra (.897) d. F. Petroni (.718) 11-2, and R. Chinakhov d. R. Gallego 11-4.​
Mon., Oct. 26 -- W. Kiamco (.876) d. A. Hopkins (.718) 11-6, K. Boyes d. S. Daulton 11-6, D. Orcollo d. P-N. Pham 11-1, A. Kazakis (.921) d. A. Pagulayan (.711) 11-3, S. Van Boening (.870) d. R. Gomez (.900) 11-9, and M. Davis d. I. Majid 11-9.​
Tues., Oct 27 -- E. Dominguez d. So Shaw 11-9, R. Gallego (.920) d. C. Rocha (.829) 11-7, I. Putnik (.900) d. P-C Ko (.828) 11-8, A. Pagulayan d. A. Kang 11-5, O. Ortmann (.878) d. J-L Chang (.825) 11-6, and J. Bergman (.896) d. S. Van Boening (.857) 11-7.​
Wed., Oct 28 -- J. Ignacio d. E. Strickland 11-5, K. Uchigaki (.891) d. P-Y Ko (.953) 11-10, J. Mazon d. B. Shuff 11-4, K-L Hsu (.917) d. M. Dechaine (.827) 11-7, J. Shaw (.866) d. C. Biado (.848) 11-7, and D. Orcollo (.816) d. K. Uchigaki (.787) 11-7 [Note: the data below exclude results for 5 games when the stream was down during the Ignacio/Strickland match.]​
Thurs., Oct 29 -- D. Appleton d. N. Van den Berg 11-4, R. Morris (.891) d. F. Felicilda (.906) 11-10, K-L Hsu (.922) d. R. Souquet (.901) 11-8, H-T Liu d. J. Bergman 11-8, K. Boyes (.921) d. J. Shaw (.874) 11-9, and H-T Liu (.891) d. K-L Hsu (.817) 11-7. [Note: the data below exclude results for 6 games when the stream was down during the Liu/Bergman match.]​
Fri., Oct 30 -- Y-H Cheng (.947) d. K. Boyes (.868) 11-4 (hot-seat match), K. Boyes (.915) d. H-T Liu (.895) 11-9 (semifinal), and Y-H Cheng (.908) d. K. Boyes (.878) 13-6 (finals).​

Overall results -- The breaker made at least one ball (and did not break illegally or foul) 62% of the time (353 of 572), won 53% of the games (302 of 572), and broke and ran 23% of the games (131 of 572).

Here's a more detailed breakdown of the 572 games.

Breaker broke legally, made at least one ball, and did not foul:​
Breaker won the game: 224 (39% of the 572 games)​
Breaker lost the game: 129 (23%)​
Breaker made at least one ball and did not foul, but broke illegally:​
Breaker won the game: 4 (1%)​
Breaker lost the game: 7 (1%)​
Breaker fouled on the break (includes 1 break that was both fouled and illegal):​
Breaker won the game: 13 (2%)​
Breaker lost the game: 28 (5%)​
Breaker broke dry (without fouling, but includes the 11 breaks that were both dry and illegal):​
Breaker won the game: 61 (11%)​
Breaker lost the game: 106 (19%)​
Therefore, whereas the breaker won 53% of all games (302 of 572),​
He won 63% (224 of 353) of the games in which he broke legally, made at least one ball on the break, and did not foul.​
He won 36% (4 of 11) of the games in which he made at least one ball and did not foul, but broke illegally.​
He won 32% (13 of 41) of the games in which he fouled on the break.​
He won 37% (61 of 167) of the games in which he broke dry but did not foul.​
He won 36% (78 of 219) of the games in which he either broke illegally, fouled on the break, or broke dry without fouling.​

Break-and-run games: The 131 break-and-run games represented 23% of all 572 games, 43% of the 302 games won by the breaker, and 37% of the 353 games in which the break was successful (made a ball, legal, no foul).

The 131 break-and-run games consisted of 2 4-packs (Y-H Cheng and K-L Hsu), 4 3-packs, 16 2-packs, and 79 singles.

9-balls on the break: The 131 break-and-run games included just two 9-balls on the break (0.3% of the 572 breaks). With the Accu-Rack, the 9-ball tends to remain close to its original position.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a day-by-day listing of some key break results after all 6 days (33 streamed matches) of the 2015 U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship.

Breaker broke legally, made at least one ball, and did not foul:
Day 1 -- 66 of 103 (64%)​
Day 2 -- 61 of 100 (61%)​
Day 3 -- 62 of 108 (57%)​
Day 4 -- 63 of 101 (62%)​
Day 5 -- 67 of 106 (63%)​
Day 6 -- 34 of 54 (63%)​
6-Day Total -- 353 of 572 (62%)​

Breaker won the game:
Day 1 -- 53 of 103 (51%)​
Day 2 -- 55 of 100 (55%)​
Day 3 -- 56 of 108 (52%)​
Day 4 -- 48 of 101 (48%)​
Day 5 -- 59 of 106 (56%)​
Day 6 -- 31 of 54 (57%)​
6-Day Total -- 302 of 572 (53%)​

Break-and-run games:
Day 1 -- 24 of 103 (23%)​
Day 2 -- 21 of 100 (21%)​
Day 3 -- 20 of 108 (19%)​
Day 4 -- 20 of 101 (20%)​
Day 5 -- 27 of 106 (25%)​
Day 6 -- 19 of 54 (35%)​
6-Day Total 131 of 572 (23%)​

[Note -- The stats exclude some games when my stream was down -- 5 games in the Ignacio/Strickland match and 6 games in the Liu/Bergman match.]

The comparable figures last year for all 6 days were 53% (stay at table), 50% (breaker won game), and 20% (B&R games).

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Work, as usual!

I keep waiting for the day that you post the stats and the breaker has won 75% on their break....,

with all the arguing over the break, the rack and how the game is so easy because all you have to do is break and you win..,

Your stats tell a different story, Thanks again.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep waiting for the day that you post the stats and the breaker has won 75% on their break....,

with all the arguing over the break, the rack and how the game is so easy because all you have to do is break and you win..,

Your stats tell a different story, Thanks again.
This data doesn't tell us much about the importance of the break result.

Around 60% of wet legal breaks tells one part... a slight advantage, but probably only 60% of those wet legal breaks result in a nice starting shot on the lowest ball.

On some tables the wet legal break percent is closer to 80% and when that is occurring, the position to the lowest ball is also usually higher too.

Colin

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Post #2 has been updated with results from Day 4.

I'm curious about the stats on fouls on breaks....the cue ball was headed for the side pocket
a lot, and found it more than I expected.
Orcollo scratched two or three times by midway through his last match alone.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm curious about the stats on fouls on breaks....the cue ball was headed for the side pocket
a lot, and found it more than I expected.
Orcollo scratched two or three times by midway through his last match alone.

So far, 33 breaking fouls in 412 games = 8%.

Last year, for all 6 days of streamed matches, the figure was 9%.

[Orcollo ended up with 4 scratches on the break in that last match and still won 11-7!]

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So far, 33 breaking fouls in 412 games = 8%.

Last year, for all 6 days of streamed matches, the figure was 9%.

[Orcollo ended up with 4 scratches on the break in that last match and still won 11-7!]

I think Orcollo got lucky...Uchigaki looked tired and made untypical mistakes.

I saw a lot of cue balls heading for side pocket on the breaker's left....a lot got kissed out
but I figured the scratch rate might be high.
The best breaks I saw....the cue ball was hitting the second rail after passing the side pocket.

As usual, sir, thanx for your info.

jwilliams

Lapsus calami!
Silver Member
Something that would also be interesting to see, would be the percentage of games won by the "top tier" players who made a ball on the break vs the win percentage of "lower tier" players who made a ball on the break. Admittedly these two categories are a bit subjective, but we could probably come to a reasonable consensus on the top 5 to 10 players vs the bottom 5 to 10 players in the tournament. It wouldn't have to be perfect. Fargo rate would work well enough. It would just be interesting to see how much those two groups skew the overall average. Not really expecting this by the way...just thinking out loud. :)

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Understanding post #2; after 412 games there have been no “9 on the break” wins and, a slight decrease of favoring the breaker with the 9 on the spot...

...on smaller tables?

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that many people hate the following idea, but I will, once again, make the suggestion.

If "At Large's" statistics hold true--that the breaker makes a ball only fifty percent of the time and that only 20% of the time that he does make a ball on the break does he run out--it seems to me that nine ball would not lose a great deal in spectator appeal if it were played that WHOEVER WINS THE BREAK MUST PUSH OUT! Speaking for myself, I would rather watch a player agonize over where to push out to or calculate whether to accept the shot after a push out than watch a player endlessly rack and re-rack the balls.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, but what percentage do you think the break is to winning a match?

I'm thinking that the way these guys shoot, the break is at least 50 percent of the game. What are your thoughts?

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear "JAM,"

Looking at "At Large's" statistics, I have to come to the conclusion that the break is not significant at all. If the breaker wins only half of the games on which he makes a ball and doesn't foul, the advantage of the break looks as if it is nearly the same as a coin flip!

"JRWilliams," however, complicates the analysis by suggesting that the numbers have to be filtered according to the success rate of "top tier" players contrasted with middle range players. Perhaps there is an advantage for top tier players to make a ball on the break.

I am viewing this from the angle of a spectator. "At Large's" statistics seem to indicate that, for pool players as a whole, the break doesn't have much to do with the outcome of a game. But the fiddling with the rack does have a great deal to do with the enjoyment of the audience. I'm willing to trade whatever slight apparent advantage the top players may have on the break for a fairly large increase in the general appeal of the sport.

I'll let a cat out of the bag. When I play in a one-pocket tournament and I draw a player whom I do not recognize, I often go out of my way to lose the lag for the opening break. I have a lot more opponents leak a ball out for me on their first break than I have lay a killer trap on me. Even when the break looks like a great advantage, it may not be.

Joe T

Thanks again AtLarge.

Stats looking similar but it its a lot more fun for me to watch. Racking is faster, arguments reduced, less cheating, more cue ball risk of scratching when playing the corner ball. The break that seems to work best calls for accuracy with some pace which makes things less predictable. And definitely MORE play battling for shots.

To me it looks like a nice compromise of the smash and hope break and the soft break. Corner ball is playable with a good hit, far from dead and its not as easy to pay shape on the 1 ball as it use to be.

Knocking on wood as I type.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Understanding post #2; after 412 games there have been no “9 on the break” wins and, a slight decrease of favoring the breaker with the 9 on the spot...

...on smaller tables?

I've seen one nine made on the break....in the side...breaker's left.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dear "JAM,"

Looking at "At Large's" statistics, I have to come to the conclusion that the break is not significant at all. If the breaker wins only half of the games on which he makes a ball and doesn't foul, the advantage of the break looks as if it is nearly the same as a coin flip!

"JRWilliams," however, complicates the analysis by suggesting that the numbers have to be filtered according to the success rate of "top tier" players contrasted with middle range players. Perhaps there is an advantage for top tier players to make a ball on the break.

I am viewing this from the angle of a spectator. "At Large's" statistics seem to indicate that, for pool players as a whole, the break doesn't have much to do with the outcome of a game. But the fiddling with the rack does have a great deal to do with the enjoyment of the audience. I'm willing to trade whatever slight apparent advantage the top players may have on the break for a fairly large increase in the general appeal of the sport.

I'll let a cat out of the bag. When I play in a one-pocket tournament and I draw a player whom I do not recognize, I often go out of my way to lose the lag for the opening break. I have a lot more opponents leak a ball out for me on their first break than I have lay a killer trap on me. Even when the break looks like a great advantage, it may not be.

Here's something I posted earlier this year when someone asked about the significance of the break.

The percentage of games won by the breaker in pro events is generally in the range of 45% - 65%. It can get much higher than that for the top players near the end of an event when they are dialed in on the break and running out a lot. It can also be influenced by matches involving a strong player and a weak player. A very lopsided match in a winner-breaks format obviously leads to a very high "breaker-won-game" percentage.

Racking templates can also affect this number. If, for example in 9-Ball, the wing ball goes in on the break regularly, the stay-at-table percentage after the break is so high that the breaker has many more opportunities for a B&R game, and that raises the overall winning percentage for the breaker.

Despite the fact that the stats sometimes seem to indicate that it is no great advantage to be breaking, I doubt that many top players would want to give the break to an opponent coming down the stretch in a big event.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Something that would also be interesting to see, would be the percentage of games won by the "top tier" players who made a ball on the break vs the win percentage of "lower tier" players who made a ball on the break. Admittedly these two categories are a bit subjective, but we could probably come to a reasonable consensus on the top 5 to 10 players vs the bottom 5 to 10 players in the tournament. It wouldn't have to be perfect. Fargo rate would work well enough. It would just be interesting to see how much those two groups skew the overall average. Not really expecting this by the way...just thinking out loud. :)

My stats are based on only the streamed matches that I watch. For a given event, that usually means not many matches for any given player. I do, however, sometime show the results for individual players who finished high in the event and, therefore, probably had several appearances on stream. As you suspect, there can be significant differences between the top players in an event and the others.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

...on smaller tables?

Two of those 412 games were 9's on the break.

As to racking the 9-ball on the foot string, that was done last year as well. The difference this year is the use of the template for racking instead of using a wooden triangle.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks again AtLarge.

Stats looking similar but it its a lot more fun for me to watch. Racking is faster, arguments reduced, less cheating, more cue ball risk of scratching when playing the corner ball. The break that seems to work best calls for accuracy with some pace which makes things less predictable. And definitely MORE play battling for shots.

To me it looks like a nice compromise of the smash and hope break and the soft break. Corner ball is playable with a good hit, far from dead and its not as easy to pay shape on the 1 ball as it use to be.

Knocking on wood as I type.

I agree, Joe, it seems (so far) like a nice compromise. One interesting thing is that a healthy percentage of the wing balls going in are by kick-in from collisions with other balls in that corner of the table rather than untouched (as they are with the Magic Rack).

Last edited:

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two of those 412 games were 9's on the break.

As to racking the 9-ball on the foot string, that was done last year as well. The difference this year is the use of the template for racking instead of using a wooden triangle.

Well, that sure makes it valuable, for some reason I had the impression that at this level it was more prevalent, 9 on the break.

It sounds like this rack has just enough resistance for a consistent placement with little effort and, that with the opening of a match being a smash shot, what table surface template present is a mute issue,
Thanks.