Pool cue extension

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member
A customer of mine wants me to make him a cue extension that fits over the end of the butt. I've never made or used one, and have only seen them from a distance. Any suggestions on how to build one would be welcomed. I know it can't be too difficult, but as I said, I never built one.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A customer of mine wants me to make him a cue extension that fits over the end of the butt. I've never made or used one, and have only seen them from a distance. Any suggestions on how to build one would be welcomed. I know it can't be too difficult, but as I said, I never built one.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Go to the hardware store and get an extension for a shop vac

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not long ago I had a potential customer ask about a cue extension. I got a very good suggestion from Chris Hightower to not add the extension to the end of the butt, however, to make it so that it fit in between the butt and the shaft. The potential customer didn't like that idea, so I'm pretty sure he went to Chris Byrne to build him a brand new 62" cue. I'm sure it turned out (or will turn) out to be a great playing cue and gorgeous to look at as well. One extra expense for such a long cue that some don't think of is the extra long custom case that will need to be purchased to carry it in. But, if in the end, customer gets what he wants, then it is all good.

I have seen other players use this conical sleeve thing that they slide down the whole cue from the tip end until it snugs down on the butt. It's made of lightweight plastic with a soft inside liner of some sort, as near as I can tell. It doesn't sound like that what your customer wants, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Good Luck!

Gary

Last edited:

treed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
extension

I'm in the process of making some now.
Most are not willing to pay much for these,
And they take a piece of wood about 2.5x2.5x18,
Just have fun at it,as they will take longer to make
than you think.

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I have a customer who wants one to screw into the butt where I use a threaded bumper. I dont want to make one because I know the threads will get buggered up and I will have something else to fix. I say get a bridge or one of those that slide over the butt.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
you might find some ideas from the design I came up with here:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=282687
Kevin

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue extension

I've had several, including the slide on plastic cone.
I had one built to go into the joint and make the cue six inches longer, ended up too whippy,
I have a Meucci, with a quick disconnect joint added to the bottom of the cue. It's about six inches long and is the best I've seen. I'll take a picture of it and send it to you. It's really pretty good.
can't do it til Monday, I'm away for the weekend.
Bill

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I'm building one now out of amboyna of all things to match the customer's cue.

Alan
Phelps Custom Cues

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Out here, breaking the cue at the joint, is considered a forfeit of the game. Adding an extension to the back of the cue is considered ok, also reducing the length of the cue by removing the back 1/2 handle section for a jump shot is also OK.
It appears , that when the cue is broken down so the playing length is shorter than 40 inches it becomes forfeiture of the game.
When removing the back 1/2 of the handle for a jump shot, you require permission of the opponent to do this. If they say no, you can use another shorter jump cue, depending on the game rule set you are playing by.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Out here, breaking the cue at the joint, is considered a forfeit of the game. Adding an extension to the back of the cue is considered ok, also reducing the length of the cue by removing the back 1/2 handle section for a jump shot is also OK.
It appears , that when the cue is broken down so the playing length is shorter than 40 inches it becomes forfeiture of the game.
When removing the back 1/2 of the handle for a jump shot, you require permission of the opponent to do this. If they say no, you can use another shorter jump cue, depending on the game rule set you are playing by.

Hey Neil!

One of the things ekb6760 didn't state was the reason for the extension.

In my mind, there are two kinds:

1) Player wants to temporarily extend their cue for long shots instead of using a bridge - so the add-on to the end/butt of the cue

2) Player is tall or has long arms and wants to extend the length of his/her favorite cue for the duration of the game - lends itself to the extension between the butt and shaft

Solutions to both scenarios have been presented above.

Are there other scenarios?

ekb6760 which is your customer's need?

Gary

ekb6760

Misplaced Texan
Gold Member
Silver Member
Customer wants to temporarily extend their cue for long shots instead of using a bridge.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Customer wants to temporarily extend their cue for long shots instead of using a bridge.

In this case , out here, the extension would need to be added to the back of the cue. Keep in mind that at all times , a cue can not exceed 25oz in weight.
There are a lot of ways to connect to the back end.Do a search to see what method you prefer.I like making an Ali insert (2024 is my choice of material) that goes into the cue but.You can make it go through and retain a rubber bumper if required.
I prefer that the bumper is on the end and is replaced when the extension is placed on the cue.But that is just me.
There are lots of good people here with lots of good ideas .
search is your friend
I like 2024 as it has a low corrosion with a high cyclic fatigue strength. You can also use marine grade ali as well. I would keep clear of 7075 and other 7 series alloys as they have a tendency to corrode with moisture etc.

I have been making some with a carbon tube 20 mm diameter and 18 inches long, mainly for the snooker market.
Neil

Last edited:

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
picture of meucci extension

Here is the picture of the extension i have. actually not that long, but goes on quick and plays great.

never attach pictures here, hope it comes out okay.

Bill
GEDC0011.JPG

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member

If you drill out the butt with 3/8x16 thread for weight bolt then you just make a extension with this thread and glue a donut bumper to the butt. If you google image search "mezz extension", it should give you a general ideal .. to carve out a cavity so the extension can be fitted over the bumper.

I have few cues setup like above. It seems like 3/8x16 threaded butt is fairly common for custom cues (for headless allen screw deep into the butt for weight control). I think this is a good setup as it still allow for weight adjustment on the cue.

I have some cues with brass inserted into the butt for a quick release. This is more permanent setup.

I'm fairly short so I use the extension a lot on 9' table. I find the screw in extension to feel best for me. Much better than vacuum cleaner hose or over the butt sleeve extensions.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Here is the picture of the extension i have. actually not that long, but goes on quick and plays great.

never attach pictures here, hope it comes out okay.

Bill
View attachment 257569

Bill..... I love that !!! My team captain wants me to make him an extension for the end of his Meucci, exactly like what you haver shown. Can you put the rubber bumper back in place with the extension screwed on ??? How about with the extension OFF..... does the rubber bumper go back in the end of the original butt since you've added a quick dis-connect ??? Any chances of a pic of the end of the cue itself ?? Again, thanks very much for the pic.

Lee

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
Thanks for the pics Bill. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like the rubber bumper will fit back onto the butt when the extension is not being used. My captain is the pickiest fker I know so I gotta find a way for the rubber bumper to fit both the original cue butt and the extension. The pics are great, thanks again, got my brain spinning now.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bumper

Thanks for the pics Bill. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like the rubber bumper will fit back onto the butt when the extension is not being used. My captain is the pickiest fker I know so I gotta find a way for the rubber bumper to fit both the original cue butt and the extension. The pics are great, thanks again, got my brain spinning now.
Wow, I don't know what to do? maybe hold it in with same screw as what's holding on the extension, but that' would be a lot of change and may cost.
Good Luck, I''ll think on it awhile..
Bill

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
I made an extension for a buddies snooker cue.
I put a uniloc insert into the butt of the snooker cue so he could use a spare predator butt as a full cue extension.
I then made a small extension out if an extra chunk of house cue, uniloc pin in one side and bumper in the other. It lengthens the snooker cue by a small amount
There are pics of it somewhere on my Facebook page :)

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
I have a Deroo made screw on extension on one of my old Predator cue (bought it 2nd hand). What he did was to use the brass insert into the butt using same quick release pin as one a j/b cue.

So if one needs the extension, you simply unscrew the j/b cue and use it on the playing cue. This way, no need to carry an extra extension around.