Cuetec R360 shaft review

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Yep, I did it. I bought a Cuetec R360 shaft. I've had a 5-year old Cuetec Mahogany Series cue w/SST shaft that I could hardly sell for the cost of shipping. It got extremely little use. It just sat in a 1x1 case over in the corner of my pool room. A gentleman was looking for a cheap Cuetec shaft in the Wanted/For Sale section the other day so I PM'd him and told him if he payed for the shipping, I'd send him the shaft, and I did. So....every six months or so I had this idea running through my mind that just maybe I'd buy an R360 shaft for this Cuetec that never gets played with and sits in the corner all the time. Well, giving the SST shaft away was the perfect excuse for finally buying one. Now, on to the review:

Quickly to the point: It turned my old Mahogany Series butt into a very beautiful thing. After removing the shaft from the shipping wrap, the first thing I noticed was that it wasn't constructed like the Predators and OB's that I own. Instead of multiple slivers of wood glued together, it has four pie-shaped wedges wrapped around some kind of carbon-fiber cylinder (looks like a fishing rod :smile:) I got this info from the website.

Anyway, I rolled it on my kitchen counter,,,,,nice and straight....less than a credit card width of rollout. Screwed it onto the butt....a tad tight, but pleasingly so....rolled it on the pool table....about the same rollout as before...GOOD!!! At the moment (brain fart) I don't remember what the ferrule material is made out of, but the ferrule is about 5/8" in length (a tannish-white color)...tipped with an Everest layered tip. Now, I start to shoot balls.

It didn't take but about 2 or 3 balls before I realized I had done a good thing in purchasing this shaft. It hits stiffer than my Preds, not unlike my OB Classic. I use an OB Classic on my custom Jacoby butt and I cannot tell any difference in the feel of the hit between the two cues. Moved the cueball around effortlessly. I have to do more shooting with it to determine the LD qualities of the shaft, but when I shot with it I used the same aim as I would have with my preds or OB's and I did well with it. At $136 (Seybert's), it is $131 cheaper than a Predator 314, and $63 cheaper than an OB. If the cue holds up to repeated play, it will make the purchase even sweeter!!! I can assure you that this cue won't be sitting over in the corner unused! I love the shaft, the weight/balance, the feel of the wood, the taper, etc. It seems to be a well-made piece of equipment. Only time will tell.

I rate it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars!!!

Maniac

Last edited:

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking forward to hearing more info on this shaft. Might just be what i am looking for.

TheThaiger

Banned
Yep, I did it. I bought a Cuetec R360 shaft. I've had a 5-year old Cuetec Mahogany Series cue w/SST shaft that I could hardly sell for the cost of shipping. It got extremely little use. It just sat in a 1x1 case over in the corner of my pool room. A gentleman was looking for a cheap Cuetec shaft in the Wanted/For Sale section the other day so I PM'd him and told him if he payed for the shipping, I'd send him the shaft, and I did. So....every six months or so I had this idea running through my mind that just maybe I'd buy an R360 shaft for this Cuetec that never gets played with and sits in the corner all the time. Well, giving the SST shaft away was the perfect excuse for finally buying one. Now, on to the review:

Quickly to the point: It turned my old Mahogany Series butt into a very beautiful thing. After removing the shaft from the shipping wrap, the first thing I noticed was that it wasn't constructed like the Predators and OB's that I own. Instead of multiple slivers of wood glued together, it has four pie-shaped wedges wrapped around some kind of carbon-fiber cylinder (looks like a fishing rod :smile:) I got this info from the website.

Anyway, I rolled it on my kitchen counter,,,,,nice and straight....less than a credit card width of rollout. Screwed it onto the butt....a tad tight, but pleasingly so....rolled it on the pool table....about the same rollout as before...GOOD!!! At the moment (brain fart) I don't remember what the ferrule material is made out of, but the ferrule is about 5/8" in length (a tannish-white color)...tipped with an Everest layered tip. Now, I start to shoot balls.

It didn't take but about 2 or 3 balls before I realized I had done a good thing in purchasing this shaft. It hits stiffer than my Preds, not unlike my OB Classic. I use an OB Classic on my custom Jacoby butt and I cannot tell any difference in the feel of the hit between the two cues. Moved the cueball around effortlessly. I have to do more shooting with it to determine the LD qualities of the shaft, but when I shot with it I used the same aim as I would have with my preds or OB's and I did well with it. At $136 (Seybert's), it is $131 cheaper than a Predator 314, and $63 cheaper than an OB. If the cue holds up to repeated play, it will make the purchase even sweeter!!! I can assure you that this cue won't be sitting over in the corner unused! I love the shaft, the weight/balance, the feel of the wood, the taper, etc. It seems to be a well-made piece of equipment. Only time will tell.

I rate it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars!!!

Maniac

Thanks for that - good to hear. The feedback on anything other than custom cues is a little thin on this site, I think.

fayfayfay

Registered
I played with this shaft for about 1 year with a Cuetec butt (Cuetec R-edge 360).

Overall, it was pretty good for the price, the shaft was well made, rolled straight and didn't diflect too much (almost no deflection on soft shots and I only compensated about 1/4 of a ball on long or powerfull shots)

However, this shaft didn't suit my tastes. IMO, it was to light (3,56oz, the balanced was too middle/rear weighted for me), to flexible and the hit was kindda soft with the stock Everest tip.

I put a Kamui med on it which was harder, but I still didn't like the feel of the shaft.

I recently sold this cue and I got an OB classic pro (kamui black soft) on a Lucasi butt.
This shaft is way stiffer than the cuetec, I feel more accurate with it. It's heavier (4,5 oz) so I have a better balanced cue and it deflects less.
Of course, price is no the same.

Hope it helps!
(sorry if my english isn't perfect)

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Before a couple of weeks I bougt a new Cuetec cue: Edge with the R360 shaft. I love it! The deflection is on the level of the 314/3 or WX700. The extreme protaper of the R360 gives me the best feeling I ever had with a shaft, especially when I play with a closed bridge. I removed the everest tip which had a some kind of strange sound, I know this typical sound from other cues that had the everest tip. I installed my long term favourite tip, the Ultraskin soft which fits to nearly every kind of shaft and is very durable over the time in every belong.

With the Ultraskin soft the R360 feels perfect! I never expected this, it's so crazy: For less than 200 € you get something that works as good as something that's at least double as expensive and feels really really
nice! I wonder why so few people are playing this material..

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must be reading my mind.

I have an old Cuetec that I used for breaking, but it has been sitting in the closet for months.

I, actually, like the feel of the cheap Cuetec cues, as far as the slimness of the butt and the taper of the shaft, but I hate the feel of the standard shaft in the way it plays.

I have been looking at buying a 360 shaft just to try one out. I was just looking online at one yesterday.

Thanks for posting your review.