Who owes you the most money?

DrOnePocket

Banned
Mitchell Thomas of Mitchell Thomas custom cues owes me the most. i have seen him 10 times in person and he has no intention of paying. POS

Roadie

Banned
I have been stiffed out of $1,700 once, $1,300 another time, and $1,800 yet another time. All three times I had gambled with the air barrelers and paid when I lost or gotten paid when I won, until the last time....

In business I have been stiffed for more than $12,000.

jjollie

Dan Breggin of Colorado Cue stiffed me for 750.00 on a new cue. Like a dummy I sent in full payment for a custom cue (this was 8 years ago) and never heard from or could contact him again. I heard he had lost my money and drugs found it.

That was a valuable lesson...lol.

Ryansnell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Uhm I make people post for 20 a game if I don't know them. Post post post and don't get stiffed. Not a hard concept.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Polonius:
Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 75–77

I'll loan a small amount as it will usually get rid of the borrower so they don't bother me anymore.

Roadie

Banned
Uhm I make people post for 20 a game if I don't know them. Post post post and don't get stiffed. Not a hard concept.

Harder said than done. If you have been around action very much you know full well that it is not always the right thing to do to make the opponent post if you really want to play them. Sometimes you have to play it on the wire and go with it. I have played for money thousands of times and only been stiffed a handful of them. Very rarely do I make people post because that sets a tone that I don't feel like engaging in.

In the long run my way has paid off. If I am playing for a larger amount say $1000 a set or so then I post the money first to encourage the other side to do the same. That usually works without any problem. If playing for up to $100 a game or so I don't make them post. What I do though is often I will lose the first game on purpose and then pay that game off to establish paying by the game instead of marking on the wire.

It's always a judgment call. Saying that posting avoids getting stiffed is 100% correct. Sometimes it means not getting played either and that could be worse for the wallet if you got the nuts.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When Grady had his pool room in the early 70's here in the Springs, he said this one day while playing dominos with the boys, ''it's cheaper to buy a house and give it to your girlfriend every four or five yrs than to get divorced'', I heard that expression yrs later but coming from Matthews, it had a nice ring ;) to it. As a young man at the time it sounded funny and somewhat logical, I now realize, how intelligent of a statement that was.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
When Grady had his pool room in the early 70's here in the Springs, he said this one day while playing dominos with the boys, ''it's cheaper to buy a house and give it to your girlfriend every four or five yrs than to get divorced'', I heard that expression yrs later but coming from Matthews, it had a nice ring ;) to it. As a young man at the time it sounded funny and somewhat logical, I now realize, how intelligent of a statement that was.
The way I heard it from Grady was, "I'm not getting married anymore. I've got an better plan. Every 5 years or so I'm going to find a woman I can't stand and buy her a house."

bob c

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people owe me money. But the most? Over the course of a year one time, I stupidly gave someone around 8K. But I blame MYSELF for lending them money and sending them to tournaments.

And I know I'll never see the money again. And now of course, when I need money and am struggling, it's even MORE obvious how stupid it really was! :mad: :eek:

Expensive learning experience.

I'm not singling you out but you hit the nail on the head. School is expensive.

I received a lot of un-solicited advice from my Father regarding how I spent my money. I had to explain to him, I never lent more then the friendship was worth. Loans or loses have been forgiven long ago.

No one owes me anything nor do I owe any money to anyone.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do daughters count? If my daughter every paid me back a tenth of the money she has wrangled out of me I'd have a black boar and gina in my bag !!

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Hangemhigh and a cue case thief.

Note: not all cash, but cash-bot property.
Hangemhigh 2500$++++ Pelikan Case and Szamboti Shirts
and one other Cue Maker here (will not Name at the Moment) 200Bucks over one Year:(
My Ex Wife owe me alot:eek::eek::eek:
Ralf

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Government and Union salaries and Pensions...Air Barrels for what you get in return.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very very seldom I front or loan money no matter who you are. If I do, it is no more than I would be concerned about if it blew out the window while driving over a bridge. In other words, if you need cash to hit the road or gamble, don't look me up. I don't care what your story is, or how "sure" the score is, I'm not interested. Greed is a funny thing. Usually if you are greedy, you end up with nothing, or even worse, something you didn't bargain for in your wildest dreams. If we are going to gamble small stakes should be payed after every game/set. Larger amounts must be posted up.

No one owes me, and I don't owe anyone except my mortgage company, and that's the way I like it....and yea, I'm a really tight SOB with my cash.....but that's why I don't owe anyone, and no one owes me......:)

Ryansnell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harder said than done. If you have been around action very much you know full well that it is not always the right thing to do to make the opponent post if you really want to play them. Sometimes you have to play it on the wire and go with it. I have played for money thousands of times and only been stiffed a handful of them. Very rarely do I make people post because that sets a tone that I don't feel like engaging in.

In the long run my way has paid off. If I am playing for a larger amount say $1000 a set or so then I post the money first to encourage the other side to do the same. That usually works without any problem. If playing for up to $100 a game or so I don't make them post. What I do though is often I will lose the first game on purpose and then pay that game off to establish paying by the game instead of marking on the wire.

It's always a judgment call. Saying that posting avoids getting stiffed is 100% correct. Sometimes it means not getting played either and that could be worse for the wallet if you got the nuts.

Okay I agree with you, I wouldn't say I make everyone post but I usually make them pay every game if they're unknown the first time I play someone new. And if I lose the first game or set I'll peel off what's owed to set the tone of the session.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay I agree with you, I wouldn't say I make everyone post but I usually make them pay every game if they're unknown the first time I play someone new. And if I lose the first game or set I'll peel off what's owed to set the tone of the session.

Ronnie Allen was playing a guy in Houston called Rick and giving 9-7, about 5 years ago.
The bet was $200 per game and Rick broke badly and Ronnie won the first.
Ronnie broke badly and Rick ran 7 and out.
Ronnie said he was done and quit. After few minutes Rick asked for the $200 which would have made them even and Ronnie said,I have to owe you one.
Rick irritated said " at least give my my $200 back"!
Ronnie then said to my amazement,"What, my last $200"!!!??