Input wanted on table size

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
I have an 8' Brunswick Glenwood model at home right now. Less than 5 years old. It has been a great table, although the pockets are alittle big! I have my heart set on a Diamond table. I am still trying to sort thru the different models,etc that Diamond offers. (and yes, Diamond has contacted me and been great, I will get their opinions too on this all). What about table size? I like my 8'. It 'seems' most all the Diamonds are 7' or 9'. (is that true or just my experience?) Although they do offer 8' as well. I have no desire at all for a 7' table. I do have room for a 9'. My thinking is a 9' would be very discouraging for the occasional games I have at home with family and friends that dont really play pool regularly. Heck, it would be discouraging for me most of the time! I play mostly bar league pool on 7' Valleys with the occasional tournament elsewhere. BTW, I am almost 50 yrs old with just a love of the game and wanting to become better, obviously if I was wanting to become a pro or something, the 9' would be the best choice. I am 95% leaning toward another 8' table but want to make sure I am not missing anything with that choice. I am sure some of you guys will have opinions! Thanks

Last edited:

PocketPooler

Silver Member
I have an 8' Brunswick Glenwood model at home right now. Less than 5 years old. It has been a great table, although the pockets are alittle big! I have my heart set on a Diamond table. I am still trying to sort thru the different models,etc that Diamond offers. (and yes, Diamond has contacted me and been great, I will get their opinions too on this all). What about table size? I like my 8'. It 'seems' most all the Diamonds are 7' or 9'. (is that true or just my experience?) Although they do offer 8' as well. I have no desire at all for a 7' table. I do have room for a 9'. My thinking is a 9' would be very discouraging for the occasional games I have at home with family and friends that dont really play pool regularly. Heck, it would be discouraging for me most of the time! I play mostly bar league pool on 7' Valleys with the occasional tournament elsewhere. BTW, I am almost 50 yrs old with just a love of the game and wanting to become better, obviously if I was wanting to become a pro or something, the 9' would be the best choice. I am 95% leaning toward another 8' table but want to make sure I am not missing anything with that choice. I am sure some of you guys will have opinions! Thanks

Definitely go for the 9'. I have never met anyone with a 9' table who wished they'd gotten a smaller table, but i know dozens of people with 7's and 8's that wished they would have gotten a 9'. If your worried about the table being novice friendly just keep the pockets looser, maybe 4 5/8"-
4 3/4".

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You like the 8 footer, get another one.

Alternately, have a table mechanic rebuild the rails so the pockets are Diamond sized for a lot less $$$

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all due respect, I've never understood the propose of the 8' table. It may be a regional thing but it is especially rare to see an 8' round these parts. As some have said and will say I will agree, if you have the room and the funds to get any 9' Diamond, well do it! They are considered the pinnacle of what a home table should be. I must admit, I am a GOLD Crown guy. Given the choice I would pick a GC all day long. That's just a preference thing though as there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Diamond and it Def is a top quality table no doubt. If you are worried about your guests / friends dont. If they already play on an 8' there won't be a huge difference to them adjusting to a 9'. As someone said earlier just don't get the pockets cut stupid tight. Remember it's YOUR TABLE! You did say you were looking to get better so I must assume it's not a totally social thing for you and that's good. A 9' Diamond will only help you in that endeavor. My next statement may be contriversial, but I stand by it. I honestly think playing on an 8' table messes up your game. Obviously the bulk of all matches you play will be on wither a 7' or a 9' foot table. I believe it's easier to go back and forth between those when an 8' is not part of the equation . Just my observation . Congrats on your new table whichever way you go!

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask yourself what size table will have a better resale value down the road if you were to sell?

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I have an 8ft table and really like it. My kids are able to play on it, but it feels somehow more elegant than a 7 footer. Dunno why. Maybe it's because the smaller tables are what I see in bars. I like bars, don't get me wrong, but it seems like a step up.

None of the rest of my family would be comfortable playing on a 9 foot table. That may change at some point, but the 8 footer just seems right to me.

Your mileage may vary.

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
I have an 8ft table and really like it. My kids are able to play on it, but it feels somehow more elegant than a 7 footer. Dunno why. Maybe it's because the smaller tables are what I see in bars. I like bars, don't get me wrong, but it seems like a step up.

None of the rest of my family would be comfortable playing on a 9 foot table. That may change at some point, but the 8 footer just seems right to me.

Your mileage may vary.

Same thoughts as mine! Thanks

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
Ask yourself what size table will have a better resale value down the road if you were to sell?

That would be a 7or 8 foot around here. Not many people have space for a 9'. But, I am not concerned with resell value at all. I buy things because I like them or are useful to me. Resell rarely affects my decisions.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think resale is a nonissue: the Internet is littered with people trying to sell their tables and many are given away, just to have them gone.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always buy 9 foot Brunswick,
but I believe 8 footers resale best

if you like 8 foot,buy one

my guess is you will be happier with your present table I like Brunswick much better
I also like 4.75 or even bigger pooey on tiny pockets

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
Get the 9 if it fits comfortably in your room. I have never had anyone complain about my 9 foot being 'too hard'. All that room really is luxurious.

Thank you kindly.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling off the Glenwood will be hard. The 8ft Diamond is more like an oversized 8'.

I would definitely go with the 9ft Diamond if you have the room and money is a nonissue. I hate having to shoot on the 8ft when I go to the pool hall and the 9ft is occupied.

If you want to go with a used Brunswick, you can get one with new rails, cloth, delivery and installed for about 2500 or so.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, 7 footers are horrible - please don't do that. You'll ruin your game permanently due to reduced lenghts and very reduced stroke mechanics (almost no variations needed). Any idiot can pocket balls by counting on rebounds... I get regularly beaten by horrible players on a 7 :mad:

9 foot can be a drag for pure leisure games and not too experienced players. It's hard, esp. long balls with cute angles or 100% straights. Breaking is not too easy, too, and requires some thought.

If you generally like your current table - why not simply have the pockets and rails redone as you want them as others suggested?

If you have money to spend and don't care - take a fine looking (as in wood) 9 foot Diamond.
You could also get a Dynamic III (they are the only table allowed in the Eurotours):

https://www.dynamic-billard.com/en/...table-dynamic-iii-9-ft-black-matt-finish-pool

The only table I will ever get:
http://www.billard.de/out/pictures/1/5085.01_gesamt.jpg

Cheers and good luck!
M

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
If you have an opportunity to get a 9' then do yourself a favor & do so

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Well, 7 footers are horrible - please don't do that. You'll ruin your game permanently due to reduced lenghts and very reduced stroke mechanics (almost no variations needed). Any idiot can pocket balls by counting on rebounds...

I'll just politely disagree, know some excellent players who play primarily on 7's. I do as well. Had the opportunity to put some serious time one summer on a nine. Never had an issue w it. Maybe I'm the exception though.

Rebounds?

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Playing on a 7 ft and 9 ft table are two different games.

If you want to enter tournaments get the 9 ft. If all you play is local bar tournaments and leagues then get the 7 ft.

If you can shoot a ball straight it will go straight no matter what the distance is.

If you learn CB control than playing on a 7 ft shouldn't be a big issue.

I wouldn't worry about what my guests think as I would be buying it for myself not for the occasional guest and most times they like playing on a larger table. You will also learn that you will become selective on who plays as you won't bangers playing and ruining your table walking away and leaving you with a POS.

Go to a PH and play on both and decide what you enjoy and like more. I have a 9 ft and never regretted it. If I want to play on a 7 there are many places that offer free open tables most friends have 7 ft, and if they could they would have a 9 ft.

🎱

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
I was faced with this exact same choice about a year and a half ago. I had plenty of room for a 9' but wasn't sure if that was what I wanted since I played exclusively on 7' tables in leagues. I knew I wanted a bigger than 7'....but not sure if I should step all the way to 9'.

I ended up going with an 8' table with very tight pockets and haven't regretted it at all since. I can step up to a regular 9' with regulation pockets without any trouble and playing on a 7' Valley is like a kids table compared to mine.

The tight pockets do make it a bit frustrating when non-pool nut friends come over, but they still enjoy themselves. Also, my pool playing buddies call it a trap table that I'm used to.....hmm...maybe it is?

J.

Heath Manning

Manning Cues
Silver Member

Good Morning,

I have sold many Diamonds over the years and can tell you that all the modifications in the world won't make your Brunswick perform like a Diamond.
If you truly want a diamond and size and money are not an issue I would recommend a 9ft.

Having the experience of dealing with table owners over the years would indicate that the table of choice is the 9ft.
However if you only play league on a smaller size table this may not be your preference.

I wouldn't be concerned about resale as Diamond owners don't by a Diamond to sell it.
Its an investment that will have you performing at a higher level.
The Diamond tables Pro Pockets will force you to focus on the game and not take any shot for granted which will raise your skill level.
If you have to sell it at some point it will sell if priced right.
You surly won't be giving it away.

Sixwillwin if you have any questions on Diamond tables, custom options from Diamond, modifying your brunswick or anything else feel free to give me a call directly 1-844-626-2837. You can find many reviews here on AZ that will tell you that I'm honest, genuine and offer you a no pressure sales experience.

Here is a recent thread from Kevin on AZ who recently purchase a Diamond from me: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=414379&highlight=heath+manning

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I will say this about my 7', I dont bother playing nine ball or straight pool on it. Its a dramatically different game that imo was never meant for that size table.