Glasses and pool

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got an offer from someone to get a free pair of glasses that are specially designed for pool players. He owns a eyewear shop and just wants me to try them and write up my thoughts on them.

I wear glasses all the time, except when I shoot. When I lean down to shoot my eyes look over my glasses.

A very good player and I were discussing glasses/contacts/lasik and he said that seeing a different picture than you are used to will take a long time to adjust to. I agree. I just wonder if it is worth the effort to play worse in the mean time so that I can be better in the future?

Will seeing better help me shoot better after I am adjusted to it?

Thoughts?

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to wear glasses when I play..imo it's a bad habit to shake off, I realized years later that glasses limited my vision to cue ball only, because I could not see the object ball if I get down on the shot.

I have to talked many good players and they all said a player should look at the object ball last (when striking the cue ball), that was not possible for me because I cannot see the object ball when I wear glasses.

I now wear contacts when I play, but sometimes it gets itchy/twitchy, and it might affect your shot. However it does open up the vision field, I can now see everything when I get down on the shot, but the habit of looking at the cue ball is very hard to change, it took me about 3-4 month of playing with contacts to get adjusted.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I got an offer from someone to get a free pair of glasses that are specially designed for pool players. He owns a eyewear shop and just wants me to try them and write up my thoughts on them.

I wear glasses all the time, except when I shoot. When I lean down to shoot my eyes look over my glasses.

A very good player and I were discussing glasses/contacts/lasik and he said that seeing a different picture than you are used to will take a long time to adjust to. I agree. I just wonder if it is worth the effort to play worse in the mean time so that I can be better in the future?

Thoughts?

Hi buddy,

i myself wearing glasses since i was 4 years old-- my right eye is more kind of a *cosmetic feature* :)

when i started playing pool (about 18 years old) i played without wearing glasses-- since i stopped in 1999-- after 10 years re-started to play pool-- but my left eye also got extremly bad-so i was forced to wear billard glasses, to be able to see a bit :)

to your question: i would kill to be able to play pool without glasses! operation for me is no option- in my case not do-able.
contact-lenses would be FANTASTIC..........but also not do-able for me.

Billard Glasses has to be build by a PRO- who really knows what he is doing-- if that is for sure the case, it will help you a ton poolplaya1 --
You will have a much sharper view- and you ll see how the *things are*--

It will first maybe a bit strange- but i remember how great it was, to see a very clear (or a bit clearer pic in my case :) ) with wearing billiard glasses---

What s also SUPER-important: i never had neck-pain again! because with the billard glasses i was able to stand much more relaxed at the table-- and was able to put my head in a mch more comfortable position.
also important points in my opinion.

i would definitley give it a try buddy-- and i would say, that if the glasses are perfectly set up for you (including measuring everything what is necessary for you by the optician) you will be satisfied from the first moment/day :)

kindest regards,

ingo

denzilla171

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've bought some 'specially made for pool' glasses off the internet awhile back, quite similar to the ones worn by snooker player Dennis Taylor back in the 80s. Effective, but really silly looking.

I then had a custom set of glasses made while on vacation in Thailand, I drew the shape of the lens I wanted (less silly looking) and explained to the shop how I wanted them mounted on frame - high up. These worked well and the price was right, but still looked a little silly and because so much glass was above my eyebrows the glass would pick up a lot of oil from my skin, that would slowly creep down and it was a struggle to keep them clean, even for one game.

I then had another custom set made at the same shop in Thailand, but this time using an off the shelf lens, just mounted higher up on a 'frameless' frame. Works great, looks like normal glasses, and stays clean for hours. The trick is to get the amount of glass on top just right, basically touching your forehead just above the eyebrows but not pressing into the skin. Different frames hold the glass different distances as well, I found that the closer they are the smaller the lens can be.

Comparing the various glasses back to back, I'd also have to say that smaller lens is overall better, more focused and picks up fewer reflections from the environment.

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I've bought some 'specially made for pool' glasses off the internet awhile back, quite similar to the ones worn by snooker player Dennis Taylor back in the 80s. Effective, but really silly looking.

I then had a custom set of glasses made while on vacation in Thailand, I drew the shape of the lens I wanted (less silly looking) and explained to the shop how I wanted them mounted on frame - high up. These worked well and the price was right, but still looked a little silly and because so much glass was above my eyebrows the glass would pick up a lot of oil from my skin, that would slowly creep down and it was a struggle to keep them clean, even for one game.

I then had another custom set made at the same shop in Thailand, but this time using an off the shelf lens, just mounted higher up on a 'frameless' frame. Works great, looks like normal glasses, and stays clean for hours. The trick is to get the amount of glass on top just right, basically touching your forehead just above the eyebrows but not pressing into the skin.

Comparing the various glasses back to back, I'd also have to say that smaller lens is overall better, more focused and picks up fewer reflections from the environment.

Hi there,

nowadays you have technics where also *greater* glasses can be extremly accurate and *possible*--

but the price here is about 3-4 times as much as normal *sized* glasses (jsut a bit bigger).

To order glasses over the internet is neverever a good idea.
It s absolutley necessary to do SEVERAL measurements with the human to build a perfect billiard glass°

have a good day

Ingo

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My vision has gotten worse over the years. I wear glasses from the minute I wake up until the time I go to bed because I like to see but shooting with glasses is a pain in the ass since I wear progressive bifocals. I got contacts just to play pool. They are DISTANCE ONLY contacts so I still carry reading glasses and I have an astigmatism in my left eye. They are wonderful. I see clear as a bell at the table and don't have to wear those stupid things called glasses on my face to see. If you think about, the distance from your eyes to the CB, when you are lining up a shot is really not close up and is covered by the distance contacts. I put them in an hour before I play. Since they are distance contacts, driving is no problem. They do amazing things with contacts nowadays. You should give it a try. The contact makers actually let you "test drive" them before you buy them.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started wearing glasses only for ppol about 2 years ago and just had another pair made 2 months ago. it is very important that your tell the dr to make the focus from 2ft to 10 ft....he can do it. that makes a huge difference! the frames of course have to be large and round and the nose guard can be adjusted "up" so you will not have a problem seeing the top of the frame while down on a shot. hope this helps. it sucks getting old! :sorry:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Without a clear picture of each shot, your mind is not receiving ''all'' the information. You have to start ''somewhere'' as we all have declining eyes. KIS for your first venture. Since I'm farsighted, I tried the single vision 10' focal point prescription, and then went to a 12 foot focal point. All I did was find some frames that I liked, that sat up high on the nose brow and then I had a prescription made.:cool:

JW_Redmon

Registered
Glasses

Thoughts?

I need glasses to read a book and view a computer screen. I currently have 3 sets of glasses, one for book reading, one for computer work and one for playing pool. Several years ago I asked my optometrist about a pair of glasses for playing pool (he owned a sports bar and was familiar with playing pool). He made me a pair with the vision focal range of 4 to 8 foot, which will cover about any shot on the table when you think about where your eyes are when you are in your stance.

Without glasses a ball would look like it had a halo around it, the glasses make the ball very sharp and clear. They look like normal reading glasses and the biggest adjustment I had to make was to not to let the upper frame interfere with my line of sight. I have adjusted and now I automatically look under the frame. The cost was reasonable, around $100, inexpensive but durable frames, seems like the frames and the coatings can drive the cost up quickly.

I would highly recommend letting an optometrist test your eyes and fit the frames for your face. I definitely believe in the glasses.

BillCurran2020

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thoughts?
Your eyes shouldn't be doing any "adjusting" if you start playing billiards again while wearing an Rx just for playing. If anything, it should be the opposite. When wearing your Rx billiard glasses, you should have sharp, crystal clear vision. However, the frame itself might need some adjustment but that shouldn't interfere with the your overall vision. Keep in mind if you currently are wearing progressive lenses then we recommend single vision lenses for billiard playing. I hope this helps, please let me know.

9_Ball_King

Respect The Game!
Silver Member
Regular Glasses Work Fine For Me

I wear 'normal' glasses (no-line bi-focals) and don't have any problems at all. I am 57 and playing the best pool of my life. How are 'billiard glasses' different? Sounds like it could be a gimmick......IMO

JoeyM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear glasses for everything but playing pool. I haven't been able to adjust to the progressive lens or the frames on my glasses while down on a shot.

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
Your eyes shouldn't be doing any "adjusting" if you start playing billiards again while wearing an Rx just for playing. If anything, it should be the opposite. When wearing your Rx billiard glasses, you should have sharp, crystal clear vision. However, the frame itself might need some adjustment but that shouldn't interfere with the your overall vision. Keep in mind if you currently are wearing progressive lenses then we recommend single vision lenses for billiard playing. I hope this helps, please let me know.

I've played with glasses (nothing specialized for billiards) for the last 25 years, and am so used to it I don't even notice it. It's all a matter of getting my head in the right spot.

I got my first set of progressive lenses a few years ago (I'm nearsighted), and was worried what it might do to my game. All my worries were gone within 5 minutes of playing with them on. In fact, my first thought was "why didn't I get these years ago?" With the progressive lenses, when I get my head in the right spot now, I can see everything from my bridge hand to the object ball in focus, by only moving my eyes.

But what works for me doesn't mean it works for everyone. :smile:

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I wear 'normal' glasses (no-line bi-focals) and don't have any problems at all. I am 57 and playing the best pool of my life. How are 'billiard glasses' different? Sounds like it could be a gimmick......IMO

How tall and flexible are you? I'm 6-4 in shoes and not very flexible. I have to crane my head in an awkward position to get a clear view of the table while playing pool in glasses, especially on a big table. If contacts aren't for somebody, then billiard glasses are certainly not a gimmick.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I talked this issue over with my eye doc. I have bifocals. She understood immediately, and wrote me a script where the bifocal is higher in the lens so I'm using it easier from the down position. I chose a pair of frames that rest higher on my nose.

Its been helpful. Does it change everything, no. But the 10' area around the table is the focus, and the balls are a bit clearer, which means im squinting less. Any thing I dont have to worry about is helpful!

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd love to have a pair of glasses for pool. When I wear my distance glasses I'm amazed at how sharp the table, pockets and balls are. It's almost startling.

However, I can't wear them to play, particularly on longer shots where I am down on the ball as my eyes see over the top of the lens as others have stated.

Last time I had my eyes checked I talked to the guy about playing and lens height etc, he looked at me like I was from mars. :rolleyes:

If I could find a pair of billiard glasses that weren't in the $350-$500 range I'd jump on them.

I am certain it would improve my game.

nfuids

eh?
Silver Member
I don't personally wear glasses, but people around me that got glasses designed specifically for billiard just LOVE them!

They no longer have to look above their glasses and they just see better!

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
You will get lots of opinions on this topic, as it's been discussed lots.

In my case, I only wear glasses for reading, and the PC. Distance isn't a problem, but as I get older, I notice it's not what it was 5 years ago(distance). I'm a Cad Designer, so I spend 10 hrs. a day at the computer.
I tried the Pool Glasses, and they weren't for me. I've always worn my glasses on the bridge of my nose, and I look over the top when not looking at a screen, and I just couldn't adjust. I would rather let my game suffer, than to wear glasses at the table.
About 2 years ago, I had my doctor fit me for daily contacts, after he told me that he's helped a couple of pool players with similar stories, and I haven't looked back.
He set my prescription from 3-12 feet. And it was like a come to Jesus moment for me. Just incredible. And the weird thing is they helped my distance as well, which he told me might happen.(+1.5/+1.75).

I have nothing against the pool glasses, and everyone is different, but for me contacts were it. The biggest problem is, you will need to adjust to either one(glasses/contacts) at the table, but after 10-20 hours of table time, you'll see a big difference. For me it was cut shots. I was over cutting everything for a few hours, until I slowly adjusted for it.

I would give the glasses a shot as the price is right:thumbup:........ but don't overlook the contacts. He may be able to give you a couple samples to try.

Good Luck.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
You will get lots of opinions on this topic, as it's been discussed lots.

In my case, I only wear glasses for reading, and the PC. Distance isn't a problem, but as I get older, I notice it's not what it was 5 years ago(distance). I'm a Cad Designer, so I spend 10 hrs. a day at the computer.
I tried the Pool Glasses, and they weren't for me. I've always worn my glasses on the bridge of my nose, and I look over the top when not looking at a screen, and I just couldn't adjust. I would rather let my game suffer, than to wear glasses at the table.
About 2 years ago, I had my doctor fit me for daily contacts, after he told me that he's helped a couple of pool players with similar stories, and I haven't looked back.
He set my prescription from 3-12 feet. And it was like a come to Jesus moment for me. Just incredible. And the weird thing is they helped my distance as well, which he told me might happen.(+1.5/+1.75).

I have nothing against the pool glasses, and everyone is different, but for me contacts were it. The biggest problem is, you will need to adjust to either one(glasses/contacts) at the table, but after 10-20 hours of table time, you'll see a big difference. For me it was cut shots. I was over cutting everything for a few hours, until I slowly adjusted for it.

I would give the glasses a shot as the price is right:thumbup:........ but don't overlook the contacts. He may be able to give you a couple samples to try.

Good Luck.

Some who wear contacts have a hard time in smokey rooms.

9_Ball_King

Respect The Game!
Silver Member
Normal 57 Year Old

How tall and flexible are you? I'm 6-4 in shoes and not very flexible. I have to crane my head in an awkward position to get a clear view of the table while playing pool in glasses, especially on a big table. If contacts aren't for somebody, then billiard glasses are certainly not a gimmick.

Hi PocketSpeed11,
I am 6'2" and I guess as flexible as a 57 yr old can be. I weigh about 218 and walk 3-4 miles 4 or 5 times a week. Luckily, I guess, I have just never had any problems playing good pool while wearing glasses. In the past couple of years I've beaten Gabe Owen, James Davis Jr., Mike Alonzo, Manny Chau and other good players in tournaments with short races. Of course I still can lose to Stevie Wonder at any time also but unfortunately that's because I sometimes turn into Mr. Bonehead at the table.......just can't use the glasses as an excuse:D