One pocket Shot

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
These type of one pocket shots have got me in trouble,especially when the cb is more up table.Is the best shot to come in from behind the ball and try to stick the cb and send the ob up table to your side.Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• shot 1.jpg
    shot 1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 705

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
While I'm far from a 1pkt expert, IMO this type shot, and how to address it, has a lot to do with the score and the table layout.

I don't think anyone loves shots like this, but how to play them doesn't carry a blanket solution. Soft rolling the CB from behind is viable as is touching it from the side, as well as firing it out of there and risking some extra CB movement.

But, so is simply pocketing the ball and sticking the CB. It really matters on the layout and score.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what about coming across the face of the ob, hitting the long rail with the cb and kicking the ball toward your hole? might call it a double kiss shot. also depends on how tight the table is, if the table is real tight just make sure you stick the cb and just get the ball outa there however you're comfortable. I don't like going behind the OB I seem to scratch too much on that shot

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what about coming across the face of the ob, hitting the long rail with the cb and kicking the ball toward your hole? might call it a double kiss shot. also depends on how tight the table is, if the table is real tight just make sure you stick the cb and just get the ball outa there however you're comfortable. I don't like going behind the OB I seem to scratch too much on that shot

Kissing it back to your side is inviting a return bank. Not a good idea, usually.

Uptable is the way to go and the OB needs to be struck full.

As pictured, I would likely use a touch of L) english, as I tend to go a little too deep on those...resulting in the CB drifting toward the pocket.

I try to leave OB in the diagonal corner, inside 1st diamond square.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is the best question i have ever seen on az
it is serious and important
furthermore the responses have been informative
i applaud the effort but i feel that the discussion is far from exhausting
the possiblities

this shot has caused me grief

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on the table layout---I like to kick off the short rail just hard enough to make a legal shot. This sets up a more difficult return from your opponent. If you hit it up table, your opponent may have a return bank but if you leave it close to the cue ball, he/she will most likely have to hit it away himself.

However if you decide to hit it off the short rail to send it up table, you may find it better to use left English instead of right to decrease the possibility of a scratch.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an excellent situation which may result in better solutions from the experts at OnePocket.org. Try posting it there.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
won't kicking behind the OB with a little low left freeze the cb there, sending the ball up table. parking the cb on the rail is always a good idea

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
won't kicking behind the OB with a little low left freeze the cb there, sending the ball up table. parking the cb on the rail is always a good idea
I find that works for me, but I believe the CB action is more a result of the full-ball hit, rather than any spin though.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it the last ball on the table?

The options change depending on the ball count. The two most prudent shots are to kick hard and send the ball uptable or soft kick and leave it by the pocket. As BB said, use left english and the cueball will stick there.

An important part of the shot is to not hit the ball beyond full as it will increase the chance of a scratch dramatically despite the english. Try to hit it full or slightly less than full and it works out great. Overcutting will spell doom for your wallet.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find that works for me, but I believe the CB action is more a result of the full-ball hit, rather than any spin though.

This is true, but the spin coming off of the rail allows for the correct hit on the ball by holding the cueball coming off the rail. If you hit it with R english it would lengthen off the cushion and most likely cause an overhit resulting in a scratch.

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball "count" (score) would determine ANY shot in a one pocket game. That being said....most one pocket players would "likely" shoot the shot "if" the space between the object ball and the rail is "right". Too much space you can loose control of the object ball and possibly scratch. Too little...it just brings a ball to your side of the table, which can leave your opponent with a easy cross corner bank.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is true, but the spin coming off of the rail allows for the correct hit on the ball by holding the cueball coming off the rail. If you hit it with R english it would lengthen off the cushion and most likely cause an overhit resulting in a scratch.

fuh shizzle...I think the spinglish helps correct for a perceptual error that I frequently exhibit.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
These type of one pocket shots have got me in trouble,especially when the cb is more up table.Is the best shot to come in from behind the ball and try to stick the cb and send the ob up table to your side.Thanks for any advice.

Hit the cue-ball at 5 o'clock...long rail first.
Your job is to 'stick whitey' and sent the object ball towards
the side pocket where the cue-ball was.

It's a 'must learn' shot at one-hole....
...if you don't master it, the guy who's taking your cash probably has.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit the cue-ball at 5 o'clock...long rail first.
Your job is to 'stick whitey' and sent the object ball towards
the side pocket where the cue-ball was.

It's a 'must learn' shot at one-hole....
...if you don't master it, the guy who's taking your cash probably has.
Ya think that is prefered to an uptable? I think there is little difference between the 2 shots, if executed properly...but I guess putting OB by the your side ,instead of uptable on your side is 'better'.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good practice session may be to shoot this shot off the short rail 10 times with right English and 10 with left. Then just count the scratches. Post your results.

gmoney1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shot

cross to the middle of rail. send cueball up table as close to rail as u can get it

Red Shoes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I just got up after working at the pool room most of the night. YOU WOULD THINK I would look closely at a diagram before I opened my mouth. I did NOT notice which end of the table was the "business" end. After review (and a 1/2 cup of coffee). The shot is "fine" for getting a ball away from your opponents pocket (assuming there are no other balls on the table). Hit it "hard enough" to not leave an easy (or even make-able) straight back bank.