What to do??

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the 3 foul for sure.

My first thought was same as Dennis. But as sjm points out it takes perfect speed to not leave a 2 ball cut. And you have to miss the 5. But if I'm the other I could thin the 2 freezing you on the back rail.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
... And you have to miss the 5. But if I'm the other I could thin the 2 freezing you on the back rail.

This is something I considered, too, and it's a tactically important point. Even if the four rail safe were executed to perfection, an intermediate or weak opponent might play safe off the two ball sending the two uptable and leaving the cue ball deep in the kitchen, and if they do so, you're not going to get the best of it very often.

Very nice observation here.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
That’s a pickle, late in the game and against a strong opponent. Thank you very much for sharing. I have never run 100 balls in 14.1, not even close; so my statement is more of a question than anything. I understand taking 3 fouls and all the safeties and attempts to pocket a ball; this question is for 14-1Straightman. Why can you not see a use in taking another foul? It looks like (to me) that the position cannot get much worse (if any), you are against a 3 digit runner, he only needs 11 balls and there are plenty of balls everywhere to set himself up and that 10ball is a pretty good break ball to boot (not that that matters that much to these players the 6, 8 or 5 could be made to work with these guys) so why not move the ball a bit (or not and take the 15 ball penalty) he is on 1 foul not 2 so he has another attempt to put the CB in some kind of a more workable position than it’s in right now; how can you be so sure of something that is such a tough position to be in? Fantastic post BTW, thanks again!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Take the 3 foul for sure.

My first thought was same as Dennis. But as sjm points out it takes perfect speed to not leave a 2 ball cut. And you have to miss the 5. But if I'm the other I could thin the 2 freezing you on the back rail.

This is something I considered, too, and it's a tactically important point. Even if the four rail safe were executed to perfection, an intermediate or weak opponent might play safe off the two ball sending the two uptable and leaving the cue ball deep in the kitchen, and if they do so, you're not going to get the best of it very often.

Very nice observation here.

Very good, fellows. Making us think one move further. In other words, even after a successful safe, do you give the other guy an opportunity to make an even stronger safe.

I know we should be thinking of this all the time, but many of us seldom do.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Answer

That’s a pickle,; this question is for 14-1Straightman. Why can you not see a use in taking another foul?

The safe that is on the table is super good. It doesn't matter if (Terhje) made a ball from that location. I would take that safe any day against another player (even him).
The answer to your question: by taking a foul, (which can lead to a shot for the other player). Or, they are just going to touch the cue ball & take a foul. You would be in the same situation that you had in the first place. You would have to take a circus shot or attempt the best safe possible (Dennis's safe). (Why lose one point) to do what you need to do in the first place. (Only my opinion).

PS: Here's another thing that might help: It is not the same as taking a foul when the cue ball is stuck against the rack. When you know that there is no way that there will be a shot & you are looking for a better angle to play a safe off the rack. This situation has too many balls wide open.

Last edited: