i am a newbee to 14.1 ...help

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We'd have to see why your runs are ending before you get through one rack. It could be inexperience knowing when to smash into a problem cluster and when to pick them off one by one with careful positioning.

The trick of 14.1 is to learn to recognize which 'easy shots' really are just easy shots you can just quickly clear out of your way to work on the rack, and which 'easy shots' are actually vitally important to get perfect on the leave to open up problems or get set up for the end of the rack to keep your run going through to the next rack.

My guess is if, as you say, you have trouble getting through more than 4/5 balls in 9-ball against the ghost (I'm assuming a 9-foot table), your ball-making and position play is not where it needs to be for the maneuvering you need to reliably go on runs in 14.1. You'll have to diagnose whether it's because your stroke isn't working to get the cue ball moving along to where you need it or if it's because you are making the wrong decisions about how to get shape (many novice to intermediates make the mistake of drawing and stunning everywhere when follow + spin off one or two rails can keep shape much better) and that's important in 14.1, being comfortable with every possible method of CB control, to make sure you see and can execute the most efficient patterns for your out.

15-ball rotation useful practice for almost any type of game, so if you hit a roadblock at 14.1 try 15-ball rotation to keep your control up where it needs to be, newcomers can be deceived by 14.1 thinking that it should be easier than it is and forget to maintain maximum control over positioning and shot speed.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can beat the 5 ball ghost in 9 ball
i am close to beating the 6 ball ghost in 9 ball
i do break and run out in 9 ball from tie to time
i can run 8 and out in one pocket from time to time
but usually i am good for 4/5
i can do pretty well in this drill
View attachment 425919
make a ball
do not hit another ball
yet my high run in straight pool is 14.....:embarrassed2::embarrassed2::mad:
with a lot of 7/8/10
what can i do to get thru the next level and thru one rack and keep going??
any advice is welcome

You probably won't like my answer but... stop doing the drill. A drill, generally speaking, gets you good at doing that drill. Not much else. You need to learn *all* the the shots that come up and their variations. What looks like the same shot can change dramatically with different position plays.

More importantly, you need to develop a technique that will allow you to execute all those shots, drill shots and those *out in the wild,* reliably. In a way, those are two different things, yet irrevocably interwined.

It is not so easy.

Lou Figueroa

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You probably won't like my answer but... stop doing the drill. A drill, generally speaking, gets you good at doing that drill. Not much else. You need to learn *all* the the shots that come up and their variations. What looks like the same shot can change dramatically with different position plays.

More importantly, you need to develop a technique that will allow you to execute all those shots, drill shots and those *out in the wild,* reliably. In a way, those are two different things, yet irrevocably interwined.

It is not so easy.

Lou Figueroa

Well said, Lou!

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But I do really like Rempe's brainwash drill. I haven't managed it yet, but I've gotten within a couple of balls. Really tough, but it's helped my game immensely just doing it a couple of times when I'm warming up. I don't want to say that "patterns" are starting to jump out at me because it's not really set patterns, but the path to get through a rack is starting to jump out. I ran 15 balls in a match the other day, and while it may not seem like a lot, it was more or less a perfect rack....went into the clusters once to separate them and then picked off the rest without ever touching another ball. I've never been able to do that and there was always an element of luck involved. Great drill!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can beat the 5 ball ghost in 9 ball

I would say you are good enough to run more than 15 balls, so its not a matter of skill, but of strategy. Strategy in 14.1 "seems" like it would be easy, but its much more complex than 9-ball.

I'm not good enough myself to start posting about strategy, except that I feel its like chess. A good chess player doesn't make ANY move that is not part of a larger strategy...If they move a pawn up, its because it will later free up their bishop, which will be used to attack another piece, and so on.....

My biggest "mental" breakthrough occurred after watching one of Ray Martin's lessons on youtube (its on this forum), he said more or less....his goal is always to solve the "problems" first, if he can get to them quickly, great, but sometimes he needs to make a few balls, specifically to move around the table to better attack the problem, thus every ball he makes has a reason and a purpose............I use to think just "clearing balls" was a worthy goal, its not...you clear only those balls you need to, to get over to the "problem" and solve that, then you repeat the process...

edit - when all the problems are solved and every ball has a pocket, then you stop moving balls around and plan your end game......