Why does straight pool make me dog it?

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I really like your mental approach to playing straight pool, Danny. Of course I'm nowhere near your level of play, but I always had the idea that if you obey the rules that the balls and table want you to obey, then they will reward you. It's like having a mutual understanding. Respect the table and it will return the favor. Maybe that's too Zen or whatever, but I've learned through reading and practice on my own that there are rules to obey. Obvious ones:

1. Have a plan before you start into a new rack,
2. Don't go into clusters without a safety ball,
3. Nudge and separate clusters, don't "break" them,
4. Don't fight the table. Take what it gives you and play safe rather than try to force things.

and so on.

I also really like your take on competition vs practice, and especially ego, which I hadn't really thought about so much. Straight pool is about pocketing balls while competition is about competition. They are two different things.

Thanks for the posts!
Been digesting this a bit more Mr white, I must say now that the gamblers are back in the cave) I like your priority list real well but I question your 'obey' theory that could be a power trip deal from yer end of the table. You cannot obey an in-atomate object. If the player knows the rules he or she are in charge of their own decision and execution - not the table or balls. The obey is kinda a "they live" deal and is frankly a little creepy. I don't need the dark sunglasses to see the aliens. I don't warship statues or pool tables, I control the game. It used to control me (gambling and always needing to be in action) but not anymore. Some of the so called 'rules' are beyond bogus anyhue). In true art if you make an accident it can manifest into purity. In war when there's often a bad egg trying to provoke others and making it look like an accident - this just results in casualties. Stick to your priority list and forget the rules. forget about the "they live" big brother 'stuff' that's just filler - although it is a good motion picture. The table plays the same for everyone, the only difference is some players move better than others.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been digesting this a bit more Mr white, I must say now that the gamblers are back in the cave) I like your priority list real well but I question your 'obey' theory that could be a power trip deal from yer end of the table. You cannot obey an in-atomate object. If the player knows the rules he or she are in charge of their own decision and execution - not the table or balls. The obey is kinda a "they live" deal and is frankly a little creepy. I don't need the dark sunglasses to see the aliens. I don't warship statues or pool tables, I control the game. It used to control me (gambling and always needing to be in action) but not anymore. Some of the so called 'rules' are beyond bogus anyhue). In true art if you make an accident it can manifest into purity. In war when there's often a bad egg trying to provoke others and making it look like an accident - this just results in casualties. Stick to your priority list and forget the rules. forget about the "they live" big brother 'stuff' that's just filler - although it is a good motion picture. The table plays the same for everyone, the only difference is some players move better than others.

Well, people call inanimate objects "he" or "she" all the time, like cars, boats etc. How about, "You have to respect the difficulty of the game, and use good practices (listed above) to give yourself a chance for success."

But, hey, what about saying that you "control the game"? Couldn't that be considered a power trip? You could say you are in control of yourself, not letting gambling or whatever get the best of you, but saying you control the game sounds like the kinds of things you call power trips.

They used to joke that the balls went into the pockets for Mosconi out of respect. I'm just saying having some respect for the game, rather than trying to "dominate" it, is a good long term philosophy, at least for me.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Well, people call inanimate objects "he" or "she" all the time, like cars, boats etc. How about, "You have to respect the difficulty of the game, and use good practices (listed above) to give yourself a chance for success."

But, hey, what about saying that you "control the game"? Couldn't that be considered a power trip? You could say you are in control of yourself, not letting gambling or whatever get the best of you, but saying you control the game sounds like the kinds of things you call power trips.

They used to joke that the balls went into the pockets for Mosconi out of respect. I'm just saying having some respect for the game, rather than trying to "dominate" it, is a good long term philosophy, at least for me.

I just try to get the full value of what the table lay out Dan. People who refer material objects as he or she may be a little too attached. Better to get the full value, controlling the cue ball or being in control' of the table is no power trip (unless your actin a fool while winning and or rubbing in the opponents face by bellitling him while winning). When we try to manipulate or control individuals - that is Trying to play God - and is power trip - this started many wars as well. Controlling whitey or how clean a ball potted has nothing to do with any power trip unless the player is acten' like an ass (sharking or belittling opponent)Your over anaylizing - ya I cannot spell anaylize probly, its OK the more I anaylize this world and the power trippers the more me head hurts. So again power trips have nothing to do with in annemate objects - that's more in the emotional ego dept.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Sorry Bill but you probly should not have mentioned bout matchin up in one pocket. Now I'm going to make a counter offer as I feel more prepared than you are. I have acquired another backer he is not a coward spy like uncle Sam is. I can give you 8-7 on my break and even steven on yours there in olathe. Its not nine ball Bill and they are real one pocket tables. I have not seen your one pocket or straight pool but it looks like you brought the warrior out in me. Tournament at shooters starts Nov. 16 - im only 6'1" and 150 but I love a good spar now and again. I can be there a day earlier if you want to check out MY one hole game - just let me know if your interested. To be be twenty years older than me would put you at 65, I did not think you were that old? That way we can really see what's more important being well practiced or action oriented. I call you out as I know that you are a gentleman to compete against. I will warn you (like the battle axers often do) my company might be tough action in one pocket - but as you know I pull zero shark moves. Cannot spot you much as I have respect for your game. So i think that's a check to ya and world pool tour Bill. I have been knowing you for a while now and so I figure we can keep the bet friendly, if I lacked respect for you I would offer a number. I have plenty of respect so I will leave the offer open to you and you can pm me if your planning on attending the event. Even if you no want to play again me at one hole - as you know Danny and Evelyn run a great tournament even though they allow jump cues in one pocket:-(. My only stipulation is no pogo sticks in one pocket). Adios bigfoot. Oh I play 3 cushion also.

Goin' on 69 young man....only rule I make....Once we make a game, you or I can quit at ANY time. Sometimes I can play 7 hours, other times 4, depends on what my body is telling me. If we start early, then I usually can play longer.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Goin' on 69 young man....only rule I make....Once we make a game, you or I can quit at ANY time. Sometimes I can play 7 hours, other times 4, depends on what my body is telling me. If we start early, then I usually can play longer.

Roger that Bill, as I stated I can give up a ball on my break even on yours. Since I known you 30+ years we should keep the bet friendly unless your feeling frogy. I only match up with those whom I have respect for - your in that category of course. I will be competing at the one pocket event (starts on the evening of Nov 16. So I will get there early on 16 - if you really want in to play. I am not as proficient in one hole as I am 14.1 but I can spot you a ball on my break only and I play three foul is loss of game. It a great tournament with many great players as you know. So once I find out what time shooters opens we should be good to go. There are a couple players usually there that I have to dodge in the one pocket but its been a while since you and I have sparred. As far as wager I prefer to do that in private message - should be between you and myself. I will play you however Bigfoot battle axe. :) I would not dodge Bergman or Compton or anyone playing 14.1 however. Oh and if you win first game and need to go for any reason that is cool, either of us can quit when we want, I'm not into playing hours on end anymore. You are 20 years older than me so i give up a ball on my break rack yer own with opponent allowed to check rack. Again i know you Bigfoot and im not worried bout sharkin moves with you. Nothing but respect from my end - but as you know youll have to pack a lunch. You are 20 + years older but I don't feel like a young man anymore Bill.

Gonna have to get a one pocket section for you Bill, this straight pool section. You may beat me Bigfoot " but your gonna have to bleed to do it". :) - Steve Prefontaine

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Roger that Bill, as I stated I can give up a ball on my break even on yours. Since I known you 30+ years we should keep the bet friendly unless your feeling frogy. I only match up with those whom I have respect for - your in that category of course. I will be competing at the one pocket event (starts on the evening of Nov 16. So I will get there early on 16 - if you really want in to play. I am not as proficient in one hole as I am 14.1 but I can spot you a ball on my break only and I play three foul is loss of game. It a great tournament with many great players as you know. So once I find out what time shooters opens we should be good to go. There are a couple players usually there that I have to dodge in the one pocket but its been a while since you and I have sparred. As far as wager I prefer to do that in private message - should be between you and myself. I will play you however Bigfoot battle axe. :) I would not dodge Bergman or Compton or anyone playing 14.1 however. Oh and if you win first game and need to go for any reason that is cool, either of us can quit when we want, I'm not into playing hours on end anymore. You are 20 years older than me so i give up a ball on my break rack yer own with opponent allowed to check rack. Again i know you Bigfoot and im not worried bout sharkin moves with you. Nothing but respect from my end - but as you know youll have to pack a lunch. You are 20 + years older but I don't feel like a young man anymore Bill.

Gonna have to get a one pocket section for you Bill, this straight pool section. You may beat me Bigfoot " but your gonna have to bleed to do it". :) - Steve Prefontaine

A fair game with no BS perfect. Of course we would never talk $$$ it's our business.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
14.1 practice

So since this is the 14.1 section I will tie up a few loose ends about competing vs practicing. I received no reply from deonok bout his quandry on if he practices at his home ar in the pool hall/bar. This is bottom line, players who compete in a tournament and leave after they are done - or try and match up (gamble) are more likely to NOT have a table in their house. Sometimes there are exceptions to this rule if they have to work early next morning, family etc. The purists who watch the award ceremony (finals) are the ones who are more apt to get quality practice time in free from any distractions. If there are players whom I have respect for still in tournament - I stay and watch the finals, if i dont have time for that then I should not enter the tournament. The more I practice the better I get - is true - even for a pro. In closing i will say that with quality practice, visualization, and right attitude a player can learn to pocket a ball 'cleaner than a hounds tooth'. :)