Marking a new simonis 860 HR cloth for 14.1

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the best to use ? marker, pen, pencil etc.
And best way to go about marking the cloth for 14.1 ?

sausage

Banned
we discussed this a while back and bob said that he uses tailors chalk. i like that idea because it's not permanent should you change racks or have to remove and reinstall your cloth for any reason.

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds interesting, were any suggestions made on where to get it?

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
I'm pretty sure you can get it at walmart where they have the bolts of cloth.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Sharpie

What's the best to use ? marker, pen, pencil etc.
And best way to go about marking the cloth for 14.1 ?

I do mine with a black fine point Sharpie. Do it one time and it is done forever. Place a string from center point down your table & across it. Put some wood screws under the table to tie the string to and pull it as tight as you can. When you place your rack under the string, it will help hold down the rack in place. Hold that rack down & good luck doing the outside line of the rack. I also do my Head Spot. I use a washer ( the same size as a spot). Color it in. The center circle use a Silver Sharpie. Looks just like a spot and you never have to worry about a ball changing directions when it slowly rolls on the edge of the spot. One of those spot ended a 57 ball run for me one time as it changed directions of the cue ball and it got stuck on another ball. That was the last time that I used one of those sticky paper spots.
Make sure that you let the table be for a few hours to let that ink dry.
I let mine sit over night and I have never had a problem.
Good luck

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent, I knew there would be some good suggestions..........

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:grin-square::grin-square: If you want to mark the table in a room where you play:
1. Ask permission from the owner-manager.
2. If you get permission proceed to mark table immediatly!
3. Show, who ever gave permission,your "nice" work!
4. Play some 14.1
Failure to proceed as noted can result in all kinds of problems.:grin-square: I asked,and received permission,marked the table the next day.
One week later I marked a second table,as well as maked a "kitchen"
for golf so we didn't have to deal with one drawn with a cube of Masters
chalk.Later that night I get a phone call from a pissed off manager crying
"who is marking the tables?'. I replied I marked the tables with your
permission! Of course manager didn't remember our previous conversation
and stated "I'll have to get those tables recovered. No one will want
to play on them now!". Needless to say this all amounted to quite a bit of
pool-room hazing-drama.:grin-square::confused:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Another very good option is to use soapstone. Welders use it to mark metal. It comes off as well, and the good thing about using it is you can take some coarse sandpaper and bring it to a razor point on one side and make nice sharp lines with it. Any welding supply house will have it. Its very inexpensive.

sausage

Banned
soapstone is gypsum. i found an nice crystalline outcrop of that stuff one fine day in north arlington. i would have never thought to use it for a marker.