Marop 101

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone explain just how in the heck he's racking the balls? I've been watching these runs for months, and I still can't figure out what he's doing!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone explain just how in the heck he's racking the balls? I've been watching these runs for months, and I still can't figure out what he's doing!

Pretty simple. I've been doing the same thing for many years. First, you just form the triangle of 14 balls against the bottom rail. I do this when I bring the balls up from the ball return, pulling 3 balls in each hand and placing them quickly against the bottom rail, then three more, then the last two to form the triangle. The other way, which Bill kind of does, is to rake the balls together with your arms in an upside down V shape to corral the balls into the triangle pattern. The second step is to roll the balls forward into position. This does take a little practice, but eventually you can do it without thinking. Mostly you have to lay your hands on the balls so that the outer edge of your palms is touching the two corner balls, and your thumbs are behind the two balls in the center of the bottom row. Just push the balls up to the rack area and when you get there, you have to quickly move your hands into an inverted V to stop the front two balls from rolling too far. Then you can grab the whole group of balls and squeeze them together a little to be sure the rack is tight...Takes longer to 'splain than to do.

In looking at Bill, I do not know why he makes two motions up to the rack area. Maybe he can explain. It almost looks like he is rolling the balls into place twice, but I doubt he's doing that.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Dan. I'm still having trouble visualizing exactly how it works. I'll fool around with it the next time I'm playing and see if I can make it work. :)

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
In looking at Bill, I do not know why he makes two motions up to the rack area. Maybe he can explain. It almost looks like he is rolling the balls into place twice, but I doubt he's doing that.

After forming the rack against the bottom rail I move the first two rows of balls (5 balls) into place than I grab the second two rows (9 balls) and move them into place. When the cloth was new I used the actual rack but after a couple of months of break shots the cloth is trained enough to hold the balls into position.