Eye Alignment with Shaft/Tip

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm left eye dominant. When I am down on the shot and lined up correctly, if I draw a line from the center of the tip back to my face, it comes to my left eye.

However, if I look down at the shaft, it appears to be under my right eye. As if the cue is going from right to left in a slight angle.

What does this mean and how would I correct it if it's an issue?

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
left eye dominent.

So I'm left eye dominant. When I am down on the shot and lined up correctly, if I draw a line from the center of the tip back to my face, it comes to my left eye.

However, if I look down at the shaft, it appears to be under my right eye. As if the cue is going from right to left in a slight angle.

I am left eye dominant too and I had troubles finding "center" ball on the cue ball, what looked to be center really was a little left of center, I eventually adjusted to it. Then one day I decided to get contacts because the edges of the ball were a little fuzzy, long story short 1 day while I was shooting a shot I put my chin on my cue and it was to the right side which was different then in the past, so I check it out (video) and sure enough after wearing contacts for about 2 weeks my cue had moved back under my right eye and I seem to find center ball a lot easier.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It means your vision centre is close, but you don't get get a cigar. Maybe....

If your vision centre was perfect on this little set up you would look down at your shaft and it would look centred beneath your vision centre. This is in an ideal world.

In reality, if video and pictures prove you are aligned perfectly through centre cue ball and the cue lays along the line of aim correctly whilst at the same time you are hitting centre cue ball accurately then you need not worry.

It could be that because the cue is so close to your eyes when down that your vision centre doesn't mean jack. What counts is your ability to have your vision centre aid you in getting the cue online and aimed at the part of the cue ball you want.

I am left eye dominant but I play centre chin, with the cue between both eyes. When I look down the cue appears to be central between the eyes with my nose directly over the shaft. Have I eve given it any thought? No. Should I have? No. The eyes can play tricks on you. Concentrate on the bigger picture. Use a tall mirror to check your alignment instead.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am left eye dominant too and I had troubles finding "center" ball on the cue ball, what looked to be center really was a little left of center, I eventually adjusted to it. Then one day I decided to get contacts because the edges of the ball were a little fuzzy, long story short 1 day while I was shooting a shot I put my chin on my cue and it was to the right side which was different then in the past, so I check it out (video) and sure enough after wearing contacts for about 2 weeks my cue had moved back under my right eye and I seem to find center ball a lot easier.

I do not understand this at all. Not one bit.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not so sure that anybody sees the shaft in perfect vision. It's very close to the face. I've always found that I get my best visual read at arm's length or close to arm's length --- and as long as my cue is properly placed under my eyes, and it's straight --- based on my stance training --- I can trust that my aim will be accurate.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was messing around with this yesterday. Just by accident, because honestly I had forgotten all about this issue. The cue was still under my right eye when I looked down while in my stance.

So what I did was just move my grip hand in a little close to my body so the cue was lined up under my left eye when looking down.

Some very good results were had, but this lead to something else. If I play with my chin off the cue, everything looks fine. However, if I place my chin on the cue, I see two shafts.

Any thoughts?

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was messing around with this yesterday. Just by accident, because honestly I had forgotten all about this issue. The cue was still under my right eye when I looked down while in my stance.

So what I did was just move my grip hand in a little close to my body so the cue was lined up under my left eye when looking down.

Some very good results were had, but this lead to something else. If I play with my chin off the cue, everything looks fine. However, if I place my chin on the cue, I see two shafts.

Any thoughts?

WOW SOUNDS LIKE DOUBLE VISION SIR!:eek: I AM LIKE J REMPE LEFT EYE DOMINATE RIGHT HANDED. I GET LOW BUT ALWAYS HAVE GOT OVER THE SHAFT WITH MY CHIN IN CENTER. CUE 1ST AT CUE BALL THEN LEAN OVER! WHAT 1 EYE SEES THE OTHER DOES.

thegreek

Registered
Vision Center plays tricks with your eyes when in short distance. I prefer to align looking at the OB and not by looking at the QB. It gets me straight immediately. When I look at the QB my non dominant eye sends stronger signals and makes me steer the shot. I am too Left eye /Right hand dominant. Try this you will get better results.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I'm right handed. Allowing my head and neck to rotate together with my torso in my stance (not straining my neck), once my left foot comes forward my left eye is closer to the shot than my right eye. This creates parallax views when looking down at the shaft.

See for yourself. Hold a knuckle under your right eye. Now rotate your head as in the pool stance. The hand comes under the nose instead of the right eye--but since the hand hasn't moved--the cue in the pool stance is still on line but seems off line. Make sense?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Please, if your moving your cue, in a straight line to your target, quit worrying about your head position and your dominant eye.

Go play pool.

Now if you are not, then we have some work to do

randyg

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Out of boredom, I taped an allen wrench to a cue in such a way that the leg perpendicular to the cue touches just below my dominant eye or some other reference point on my face at the end of my backstroke... It's interesting to fool around with that cue.

Besides aiding cue/eye alignment, it also seems to highlight wrist-curl or dropping your elbow or shoulder to the left or right.

If you try it, be ready for a change in balance. (I suppose you could fashion something lighter.) Also, don't put your eye out.