Balls are close together

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any advice on aiming when the balls (cue ball and object ball) are close together? I find it very difficult to pocket balls when they are close as in 1/2 an inch or closer and particularly when off angle. Thanks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a system that can get you started, but like any system you have to practice with it.

If the two balls are exactly one ball apart, and they are on a line, say, a foot to the right of the pocket, point your stick two feet to the right of the pocket. This is the ideal geometry and ignores contact-induced throw, so you will need to add a outside spin or a little more angle to make this work.

If the balls are two balls apart, aim away half the angle to the pocket. If the balls are half a ball apart, aim away twice the angle to the pocket.

Here's an example. Line up two balls parallel with the long cushion straight at the first diamond on the short rail and a ball apart. Without throw, you should be able to aim at diamond B and get the ball to go in. With throw, aim wider by about a third of a diamond.

CropperCapture[72].png

If the balls are not an even distance apart, you will have to figure the ratio on your own. Practice.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any advice on aiming when the balls (cue ball and object ball) are close together? I find it very difficult to pocket balls when they are close as in 1/2 an inch or closer and particularly when off angle. Thanks.

when i have a shot that the balls are this close I jack up and hit the cue ball low right or left depending where the pocket is and hit it with a short stroke.
the factors to consider are
how much throw you need-the softer the hit the more throw
also factor in how far the object ball is from the pocket
its a feel thing that needs to be practiced.
I play these shots very well having grown up playing mostly straight pool. these shots come up quite often.