Opinions, installing the cloth up side down

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold my Brunswick Medalist table to a family just down the street. Dad is getting the table for the kids..., but dad took a few shots and I don't think he is a stranger to the game.

He kind of thought he could put it in the back of the truck and be playing pool in a few hours.

Any way I have a new old gc1 in pieces waiting to put together so I was able to show him pretty much what is involved.

Dad can't spring for new cloth right now so I told him we could reuse the cloth that is on it now.
The cloth is pretty much beat. I play almost everyday and I reused the cloth to begin with when I bought the table

I am thinking of installing it upside down. I wouldn't think it would matter much to the kids, or the dad for that matter. I would just like it to be as clean a possible.
we are moving the table Saturday
Opinions?
thx
steven

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I sold my Brunswick Medalist table to a family just down the street. Dad is getting the table for the kids..., but dad took a few shots and I don't think he is a stranger to the game.

He kind of thought he could put it in the back of the truck and be playing pool in a few hours.

Any way I have a new old gc1 in pieces waiting to put together so I was able to show him pretty much what is involved.

Dad can't spring for new cloth right now so I told him we could reuse the cloth that is on it now.
The cloth is pretty much beat. I play almost everyday and I reused the cloth to begin with when I bought the table

I am thinking of installing it upside down. I wouldn't think it would matter much to the kids, or the dad for that matter. I would just like it to be as clean a possible.
Opinions?
thx
steven
You've never seen a slow playing table like you will with that one if you lut the cloth on upside down. Sorry, but if you can't afford the cloth...dont buy the table.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a mechanic but I have played on a table with flipped simonis.

Although it didn't play the same, it wasn't unbearable. If the option is leaving it in pieces or using it with upside down cloth until they can afford new, I would use it.

As you mentioned they are kids, they are looking to have fun not debate if it banks "true".

Ian

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member

Opinions?
thx
steven

Installing the cloth upside down may not make much difference, in regards to cleanliness.. It will have a ton of chalk on the back side, and maybe even stains from the wax/plaster at the seams.

If the cloth is a non-worsted, like Championship Titan or Mercury, you may not notice much difference in speed. However, if it is a worsted cloth, like Simonis, you will definitely notice a difference.

It sounds like the new owner will not be making the investment in hiring a professional to do the setup.. That being said, it may not make a whole lot of difference in how the cloth is installed.

Even still, my recommendation is to install the cloth with the playing surface facing up. The cloth will play faster, which is generally more enjoyable, especially for younger kids. One thing to note: if the table is not properly leveled, the faster cloth will make bad rolls more evident than they would appear on slow cloth.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever taken cloth to a dry cleaners? curious what this would do to it?

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Installing the cloth upside down may not make much difference, in regards to cleanliness.. It will have a ton of chalk on the back side, and maybe even stains from the wax/plaster at the seams.

If the cloth is a non-worsted, like Championship Titan or Mercury, you may not notice much difference in speed. However, if it is a worsted cloth, like Simonis, you will definitely notice a difference.

It sounds like the new owner will not be making the investment in hiring a professional to do the setup.. That being said, it may not make a whole lot of difference in how the cloth is installed.

Even still, my recommendation is to install the cloth with the playing surface facing up. The cloth will play faster, which is generally more enjoyable, especially for younger kids. One thing to note: if the table is not properly leveled, the faster cloth will make bad rolls more evident than they would appear on slow cloth.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

I am in Ct.
I install myself, this will be about 8 or 9 tables I put together. I do allright, not perfect.The main trouble I have is stretching the cloth at the side pockets.
I also have a new machinist level, I used to level the table by just slow rolling balls on the slate. The level makes all the difference.
steven

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone ever taken cloth to a dry cleaners? curious what this would do to it?

I once washed simonis in the washing machine. I came out really good.
Then i put it in the dryer, bad idea, it shrunk up so much it maybe could have fit a seven foot table.
The washing machine might not have been such a good idea in the first place.

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be installing the cloth playing surface up, as recommended here.
They already know what it looks like anyway.
thx for the replies
steven