1952 World 3-C Championship, San Francisco

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
very neat,thanks bob

hoppe with masako who was a female carom exhibition player of all games, i read that crane actually beat her, had no idea otherwise he was a talented 3c player

side note i wonder why on wikipedia it says there was no world championship held in 54 when thats the yr worst won it in argentina

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
very neat, hoppe with masako who was a female carom exhibition player of all games, i read that crane actually beat her, had no idea otherwise he was a talented 3c player

side note i wonder why on wikipedia it says there was no world championship held in 54 when thats the yr worst won it in argentina
It depends on which sanctioning body you want to follow, I suppose. The BCA event was a professional championship while the 1952 World Championship that was held in Argentina and won by Pedro Leopoldo Carrera (Arg) was the amateur championship, sanctioned by the predecessor of the UMB, the Union International des Fédérations d'Amateurs de Billard (UIFAB). The UMB was founded in 1959. Until about 1990 a major goal of the UIFAB/UMB was Olympic Games participation and at that time all Olympic athletes were amateurs (cough, choke, sputter....), so it was necessary to have an amateur organization. The split between pro and amateur continued until the BWA forced things around the time that pros in general were allowed into the Olympic Games. Along the way there was talk about excluding Raymond Ceulemans from the World Championship because he was not amateur-pure.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a copy of this photo among some of the things Robert Byrne bequeathed to the USBA.
Bob's desire was for the USBA to raise money through the sale of what was donated.
This photo will be for sale once everything is inventoried and cataloged.

The copy I have was poorly framed and the print is wrinkled but I think it can be repaired to nearly new condition.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Along the way there was talk about excluding Raymond Ceulemans from the World Championship because he was not amateur-pure.

yes after winning it 19 or 20 times(10-11 consecutive times, lose once then another 7-8 consecutive yrs) in 26 yrs the span of 63-85 i suppose they would think to try and keep him away

the wiki info is always fluctuating anyways
it also claims that sayginer and patino hold the high run of 31, not saying they didnt, just doesnt seem to be documented or recognized universally

Last edited: