Boston Shorty Meets The Cat in Billiards SEPT. 20, 1972

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boston Shorty Meets The Cat in Billiards SEPT. 20, 1972

http://www.nytimes.com/1972/09/20/a...at-in-billiards-billiards-fans-watch-and.html

82229297_360W.png

By 2 o'clock yesterday af ternoon the dank subterra nean hall that is McGirr's Billiard Academy was filling with men who broke into groups and talked excitedly about the imminent head‐to head three‐cushion billiard confrontation between Jim my (the Cat) Cattrano and Larry (Boston Shorty) John son.

In all, about a 100 men filed down the steps of the pool hall at 709 Eighth Ave nue and bought $2 tickets for the first four matches between the two players, who in pool hall circles are generally believed to be the best three‐cushion players in the United States, or at least on the East Coast, or certainly in the Northeast. The assessments varied with the commentators.

Once inside the room, the fans clustered in groups, each of which had its own dis tinctive costume. One group were hats. These were men, mostly in their 60's, who seemed to be retired and sported straw fedoras or porkpies.

The hats liked Boston Shorty, who at the age of 43 has been around billiard tables a while.

“He's good with the pres sure,” said one of the hats.

A second large group was made up of young men in their early 20's, many of whom wore high ‐ heeled shoes. Like the hats, they were busily drumming up bets, but unlike them, the shoes flashed their money more openly, peeling bills off their rolls.

Mostly, the shoes liked “the Cat,” pointing out that lie was “the coming cham pion” and that he had not lost even a single game in his last eight tournaments.

About this time, Johnson entered the hall alone. He wore a porkpie hat and a windbreaker. He is 5 feet 2 inches tall and has been making his living with a cue stick for 29 years.

His home base is Boston, but he travels a lot. After the two‐day tournament here he will be going to Johnston City, Ill., for the annual pool championships.

Shorty differs from many pool hustlers in that he is equally adept at billiards as at pocket pool. “There's not much money in billiards,” he said.

Three‐cushion billiards, he explained, is to pool as chess is to checkers.

Stan Gordon, who owns McGirr's and booked the match, also compared the game to chess and said he hoped it would become pop ular. “Imagine,” he said, “Channel 13 could show a board, with no people, for five hours, with long waits between moves, and that was so popular.

“But three‐cushion is much more exciting. A player can play all his life and never have the same shot twice.”

The game is played with three balls on a table meas uring 5 by 10 feet. The idea, roughly, is for the player to hit his ball into another ball and then have his ball carom off three rails (cushions) and then strike the third ball.

It takes a geometric imag ination, a sure stroke, and if the money riding on the game is heavy, sure nerves.

At 3:30 Cattrano came in. He is a heavyset man who learned to play in his father's billiard parlor in Flushing. The 34‐year‐old player now works for his father. Unlike Shorty, he does not claim to be a hustler. Unlike him, too, he is married. He practices about three hours a day.

Mr. Gordon said that he had put up a prize of $500 for the winner of the 240‐point match, which was broken into four 60‐point blocs. Two were played yesterday, and two more will be played today. Mr. Gordon said there might be more money in volved somewhere.

This view was supported by a hat who pointed out that Boston Shorty would not always even go across town for $500 and that in this instance he had come from Arizona.

In addition, side bets were made on just yesterday's game. Marvin Braverman, a television actor and comic, admitted that he had put $5 on Shorty.

“For esthetic reasons,” Mr. Braverman said. “I mean, with a name like Boston Shorty, you got to like him.” Mr. Braverman, who often gets his phone calls at Mc Girrs, marks his own cue stick, “Chicago Marvin.”

Finally, at 4 P.M., the game began. The audience took seats around the table and talked only in whispers. Shorty made a double‐rail shot in which his ball hit the short rail, hit the red ball, veered backwards with re verse English on the same rail, spun off the long cushion and then hit the other ball.

The spectators applauded warmly. “What a hit,” said Bill Garmise, a retired an tique merchant and director of the defunct Carom Club, which he described as “a high‐class pool hall.”

“That was a terrific hit,” he said.

In the early part of the game, Shorty was winning. He would make two or three billiards or points before missing. Cattrano was miss ing narrowly, with the ball just passing that third elusive target.

But then with the score 11‐ 4 in Shorty's favor, Cattrano, who had been talking to him self, found his stroke.

He made one shot in which the ball swung around five cushions. Then another, and another. Shorty sat and smoked, looking impassive as his lead dwindled. After each billiard that Cattrano made, the crowd clapped in a show of nonpartisan sportsmanship.

The player from Flushing made 11 points before he missed. This kind of run is considered very good. The highest ever made at Mc Girr's is 18. The streak turned the game around, and al though Shorty fought back, with some applause, gaining shots of his own, he could not recover his advantage. After a game that took two hours he had lost, 60‐53.

But Shorty made a come back in the second bloc, which was played last night. The total score after half the match was 120 for Shorty and 96 for Cattrano.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Loved the story, sir.....hope you got the second instalment.

I have a special fondness for Shorty.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for a piece of history billiardshot
i am a pool player but love 3c at least intellectually since i dont get an opportunity to play on a 3c table very often
but everything i learn (system or how to play a layout) helps me in pool
GOD BLESS 3 CUSHION BILLIARDS ,,,:smile:

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boston Shorty Triumphs Over Jimmy the Cat

Loved the story, sir.....hope you got the second instalment.

I have a special fondness for Shorty.

http://www.nytimes.com/1972/09/21/archives/boston-shorty-triumphs-over-jimmy-the-cat.html

Boston Shorty Triumphs Over Jimmy the Cat

SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES SEPT. 21, 1972

A three‐cushion billiard match between two of the best players in the country ended here last night with Larry (Boston Shorty) John son beating Jimmy (the Cat) Cattrano, 240 to 206.

The match, for a $500 prize, was played. Tuesday and yesterday at McGirr's Billiard Academy, 709 Eighth Avenue. Betting was heavy among the spectators who crowded around the table where the confrontation took place.

After his losing match Jimmy the Cat was asked what it takes to make a three‐ cushion billiard champ. “First of all, you gotta win,” he said.

Last edited:

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper ...g Island City NY Star Journal 1962 - 1547.pdf

LONG ISLAND STAB-JOURNAL, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 1962

Worst Sweeps
Cue Matches
At Flushing

Harold Worst,1954 three-cushion billiard champion,
defeated Jimmy Cattrano of Flushing in two exhibition
matches at Jacy's Billiard Academy, Flashing, yester-
day.

In the afternoon match. Worst of Grand Rapids, Mich,, gained
a 60-48 victory trano's high ran was six, Worst had fear. In the
evening event, Worst scored an easier 50-86 win
with a high ran of four against three for Cattrano.

Cisero Murphy vs Jimmy Cattrano

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=236951

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
I have a hard copy of this article in my scrapbook.
If you look at the picture of Cattrano you can see Vinny Sbarbati in the background.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
POOL PLAYING IN NEW YORK COMES ALIVE (BRIEFLY) Published: Augus

Article in NY Times .. Mention.. Vincent Sbarbati

POOL PLAYING IN NEW YORK COMES ALIVE (BRIEFLY)
By PAUL L. MONTGOMERY
Published: August 13, 1981

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/13/nyregion/pool-playing-in-new-york-comes-alive-briefly.html

Only the most intrepid of the city's surviving hustlers are sidling up to strangers in poolrooms this week to ask if they'd like to shoot some nine-ball.

The reason, as any adherent of the subculture knows, is that this is the week of the annual Professional Pool Players Association world championships at the Roosevelt Hotel, and any seemingly awed stranger could well be a participant. Nearly 100 of the world's best, men and women, are keeping the tables in the hotel's Grand Ballroom alive with break shots and caroms from 11 A.M. until well after 2 in the morning, and they are not above looking for some outside action in off hours.

''This was always a tough town to win in anyway,'' said one of the visitors, who ekes out a living hoodwinking the unwary but has had little success in the few remaining New York poolrooms this week. ''You beat somebody here and they won't play again, but somebody beats you, they want to play all night. Down South, when people lose, they'll want to come back. You can get them for a few hundred before they catch on.''

Sport Is Declining

Local entrepreneurs hope that events like the tournament, and increasing television attention to the sport, can reverse pool's declining fortunes in the city. Where there were hundreds of poolrooms in the five boroughs 50 years ago, there are only a handful now, and each year a few more close. High rents, competing pastimes, a disorderly clientele and the popularity of home tables are among the reasons usually cited.

''It's tough in the city,'' said Peter Margo, a top player and the owner of the Golden Cue Lounge on Staten Island. ''It's the kind of people that come in. They're always harassing the new customers who just stop by to have fun. Out West, the industry is flourishing. They're allowed to sell beer, and they've got music and everything, sheer entertainment. They won't let a hustler in the place.''

The center of gravity of the sport has indeed shifted west. New York players used to be the most feared, and there are still many heavy hitters here, but hometowns like Las Vegas, Nev., and Billings, Mont., frequently show up in the winners columns these days.

An exemplar of the new model player-businessman is Nick Varner of Owensboro, Ky., last year's men's champion and one of the favorites again. He was twice intercollegiate champion when he was at Purdue, and he runs a 24-hour poolroom in his hometown with his father and brother. His main source of income in lecturing at colleges, with an occasional high-stakes game as a supplement. Fearless Pool in Kentucky

''In Owensboro we've got industrial leagues, women's leagues, anything you want to name,'' Mr. Varner said. ''Nobody's afraid to walk in there at night. Now Manhattan, that's entirely different. I don't think I've ever been in another place like this.''

Irving Crane of Rochester, who won his first world's championship in 1942, his last in 1972 and is still playing at the age of 68, says pool's reputation for attracting grifters, layabouts and other unsavory characters is the cause of its decline here. ''It always seems like there are people trying to hustle you out of your $2 or your $4,'' said Mr. Crane, who has never had that problem himself. ''In my opinion it will never be a clean sport. It's too bad.''

Mr. Crane recalled that when he first played in New York in 1937, there were six large poolrooms in Times Square alone. The only one remaining is the Magic Cue at 43d Street and Broadway. It was opened last year by Vincent Sbarbati, a former commodity broker and threecushion billiards adept.

''We're doing O.K., I guess,'' he said, ''but it's a tough neighborhood to try and control.'' His 38 tables are clean and well-lighted, and he employs a staff of heavyweights to eject the unruly. ''If we see somebody taking advantage of somebody else, we'll stop it,'' Mr. Sbarbati said. He added that he was thinking of opening a commodities brokerage in the back to supplement his income, and said wistfully that he thought the future of the game was in the suburbs. The Bronx Days Recalled

Some spoke with nostalgia of the poolrooms of the past. ''They were all dives,'' said Jake LaMotta, the former middleweight champion known as the Bronx Bull, who was a spectator at the tournament. ''The only home you had was the poolroom. What else you had to do in the Bronx?''

''After we came back from work, we always went there,'' the 60-year-old Bull recalled of his youth. ''By 'work' I mean stealing. Not that we stole anything, just stuff beginning with A - a truck, a car, a bike.''

Billie Billing of Brooklyn, one of the best female players, said she thought that the limited participation of women in poolroom gambling had held back their progress in the game. ''You get better when you're playing for money, but not many women gamble,'' she said. ''I know for myself, I don't want to gamble. I got punched three times already over money, once for $18. What am I gonna do, bring a gorilla with me everytime I play?''

The best known visitor to the tournament, and probably the best known player, was Rudolph Wanderone, better recognized as Minnesota Fats. His fame is as a hustler. He is not generally considered skilled enough at the game to compete at the tournament level - ''He played in one tournament, and he got barbecued,'' said Peter Margo - but his nonstop talk and diamond pinky ring enlivened the proceedings.

''Pool is the greatest game in the world, this is the greatest city in the world and I'm the greatest player in the world,'' he said at the start of the competition. ''I've made zillions from it, and I been all over the world with my cue. I been to Samoa and the North Pole and every place on earth. I played the Terrible Turk in Istanbul and then Fatima danced for me in the sultan's palace. That was 60 years ago. Let me tell you, it's a wonderful game.''

Pete1175

Registered
When I wore younger mens clothes.

I played both Jimmy and Boston Shorty in the old days at Jacy's Billiard Academy in Flushing. Isn't it ironic that Flushing now has the Carom Cafe probably the best house in the USA.

The second floor of Jacy's was where I learned the game of 3 cushion. Dark except for the table lights and an occasional blue 20 watt bulb for the fire regulations; it breathed atmosphere of a time now long gone. I miss those days.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SUPERSEDING THE SMOKE-FILLED POOL HALLS
Published: May 20, 1981

Billiards is a sport with image problems. Ask most people about it and they respond with a description of smoke-filled pool halls, in which gamblers and hustlers play for high stakes from dawn to dark. Actually, the billiards and pocket pool halls of Manhattan are upholding a noble tradition of French courtiers and English squires. Across the green felt of billiard tables, diplomats were wont to resolve disputes: Charles Francis Adams thus negotiated American claims against England as our Ambassador after the Civil War.

In this century, however, the game lost its social cachet, becoming the sport of vaudeville, of W.C. Fields and his notorious crooked cue, of Paul Newman against Jackie Gleason in ''The Hustler.'' The late 60's and 70's were lean years; many pool halls closed. Recently pool has revived; new players are attracted by its tough-guy image. The sport is also getting a new kind of television exposure: Both ABC's ''Wide World of Sports'' and CBS's ''Sports Spectacular'' have recently aired exhibition matches, and billiards is used in television advertising to sell beer and designer jeans.

Billiards is played in this country with three balls on a 5-by-10-foot pocketless table, with the objective to strike balls in a set pattern. Pocket pool is played with 15 numbered balls and a cue ball on a table with six pockets; the basic variations are straight, in which a player can take aim at any ball but must call his shot, and eight-ball (or high-low), in which one player aims for balls numbered 1 through 7, alternating with another who takes balls numbered 9 through 15. A player can sink the eight-ball, the goal of the game, only after all his other balls are sunk. Snooker, played with 15 red balls and 6 others plus a cue ball, requires a complex sequence of play; the term ''snookered'' derives from the position of a play unable to aim at the required ball.

New York's billiard academies and halls range from smoke-filled room to executive swank. If you play or want to learn, here are some places to go: Downtown Billiards, 88 Reade Street (at Church Street), second floor. Hours: 11 A.M. to 10 P.M., seven days. Hourly rates: $2 for one player, $2.70 for two, $3.60 for three.

Billiards is clean and well-lighted and has 11 pocket pool and two billiard tables, all in good to excellent condition. The clientele is mostly local businessmen, people from Chinatown and students from New York Law School. Downtown Billiards, founded two years ago by Jim Bishop, holds occasional tournaments and plans to start one for lawschool students. Although pool was once considered a male sport, women are welcome here. Beginners can get free instruction (providing they pay the normal hourly rate). Refreshments are available. Julian Billiard Academy, 138 East 14th Street (between Third and Fourth Avenues), second floor. Hours: 9 to 3 A.M., seven days. Hourly rates: $3 for one player, $3.50 for two, $4 for three, $4.50 for four.

Julian's is the oldest and best known of New York's pool halls. Rudolph Wanderone, also known as Minnesota Fats, has played here. So do an incredible assortment of New Yorkers. Students, actors, businessmen and bums can be seen at the 29 tables (24 pocket pool, 5 billiards).

According to Ronnie Julian, the owner, pool is enjoying a resurgence as a family sport. ''The day of the hustler is passing,'' he said. ''It's coming back with families and for women.'' This pool hall has been owned by the Julian family since 1933 and has existed at the present site (next door to the Palladium) for more than 65 years. The hall was refurbished last May, with new tables, cues and lights. Refreshments are available, and there is locker space for customers to store their cues. Magic Cue Billiards, 1483 Broadway (at 43d Street), second floor. Hours: 9 A.M. to 3 A.M., seven days. Hourly rates: $3 for one player, $4 for two or three, $5 for four.

Vincent Sbarbati, owner of Magic Cue, has a business card on which is printed a pool cue, a billiard ball and a top hat. It is intended to show that he wants Magic Cue to be the most elegant pool hall in town. With wall-to-wall carpeting, a game room, locker space to store pool cues and other amenities, Magic Cue recaptures the image of billiards as a sport for gentlemen. Most of the customers are well dressed and well mannered. A sign reminds players: ''No profanities, please.''

Opened only eight months ago, Magic Cue is the city's largest pool hall, with 27 pocket pool tables, 7 billiard tables and 3 snooker tables. Mr. Sbarbati plans to hold tournaments, including one for women. Free instruction is available (hourly table rates apply). Hudson Billiards Academy, 3550 Broadway (between 145th and 146th Streets), second floor. Hours: 11 A.M. to 3 A.M., seven days. Hourly Rates: $3 for one player, $3.40 for two, $5 for three, $6.40 for four.

Hudson Billiards is an unexpected find, a peaceful remnant of old Harlem. Albert Urbina, the owner, opened his doors in 1935, and has kept the hall in mint condition, with its tile-and-polished-brass entrance and stained glass windows. Inside there are 22 tables in good condition. According to Mr. Urbina, the clientele ''changes like the city itself.'' Most of the players in a recent visit were students or young workers. Refreshments are available, and there is locker space for customers to store their cues.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of Best in Billiards Duel at 8th Ave. Academy

Some of Best in Billiards Duel at 8th Ave. Academy

SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES OCT. 3, 1977

http://www.nytimes.com/1977/10/03/a...-at-8th-ave-academy-east-meets-west.html?_r=0

Vs.png

October 3, 1977, Page 34 The New York Times Archives

Above was Eighth Avenue, ringing with the sounds of passing cars and trucks and the human traffic milling around its bars and massage parlors. Down below, at 709 Eighth Avenue, it was another world. Silence prevailed, broken only by the click of ball on ball and an occasional short burst of applause.

The 10 men grouped around the five green tables wore everything from cashmere sweaters to sweat shirts. Some smoked, some chewed gum; Murray Shapiro chewed an unlighted cigar. (“It lasts longer that way,” said someone in the crowd.)

Boston Shorty, who is only 5 feet 2 inches, had to get up on the table quite a few times. Eddie Robins kept pulling things out of a suitcase full of equipment. And the Hawk made a lot of fancy shots leaning backward over the table.

East Meets West

These men are some of the beat billiard players in the country, and they came together last weekend from as far away as Las Vegas to play in McGirr's Billiards Academy's second tournament of the year, “The Best of the East Meets the Best of the West.” Not all the best players were present, of course; the $500 first‐prize money wasn't worth a trip from California or even Illinois for some players.

But some of the best came to the academy, between 45th and 46th

Streets—Boston Shorty, who is Larry Johnson, the defending United States champion; Jimmy (the Cat) Cattrano, of whom it is said no one can beat

him in his own pool hall in Rego Park, Queens; Eddie Robins from Las Vegas, the only American to beat Raymond Ceulemans, the Belgian who some say is the world champion, had Billy (the Hawk) Hawkins from Decatur, Ill., who holds the world record for the “longest run” in three‐cushiun billiards‐19 points in a row.

Boston Shorty won.

The crowd, about 50 at the tournament's start, 75 by Saturday night and 100 for last knight's playoff, looked as if it had spent much time watching billiards. Some were old champions themselves, like Joseph Stone, who has been playing since 1909.

Addiction to Billiards

The players, IS altogether, had one thing in common: an addiction to

Boston Shorty, who makes some money from pool, supplements his income driving* cab. Jose Diaz, a Chicago bartender who plays from four to seven hours a day,, said he had been married and divorced five times, all because of the game.

“There was never another woman,” he said.

Vincent Sbarbati, a stockbroker and the New Jersey state billiard champion, said he believed he was the only person on Wall Street with a billiard table. in his office.

It is a gentlemanly game, with all

the players extolling one another's talent. The most demanding competition is between the player and his own skill.

They're all excellent players,” said Boston, Shorty when asked who his toughest competition would be. “My biggest worry is myself.”

A good player doesn't just make point, he “plays position” or makes the point so that his next shot is set up for him. If he can't make a shot, he “plays safe,” or makes the shot impossible for his opponent.

There was a lot of quiet drama during the tournament—several runs of six or seven points and many hairline misses. By yesterday f the six finalists had been picked—Boston Shorty, Billy Hawkins, Eddie Robins, Murray Shapiro, Billy Maloney and Vince Sbarbito. The winners won't make much for their more than 18 hours of playing. They didn't seem to mind; the important thing was to be able to match wits with the greats.

The New York Times/Marilynn K. ‘fee

Eddie Robins stretching over billiards table during East‐West ,championship competition

Boston Shorty clamping down hard on cigar as he lined up shot.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i just love reading these news acoounts from the past
thanks