Want a mixed cue butt and shaft

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a few What's In The Case videos on YouTube and saw a few pros mix their cue butt and shaft with different brands. One of them in particular was Landon Shuffett playing a Predator 4K with an OS2 shaft. It's an old video and I know that Predator is currently in their 8K series.

I'm thinking of doing the same in my next cue purchase. Most likely I'm just wasting money, but there's just something that intrigues me about having a "mixed" cue stick. I'm leaning towards a Predator 8K-1 cue with an OS2+ shaft.

If you were to mix your playing cue with different brands, what would it be?

Thanks!

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it matters all that much. If you have a butt with balance that you like, any shaft will work.

One of the advantages of a Schon or Joss butt is that their joint is common. Very easy to get another shaft that matches in both pin and diameter at the joint.

If you like the uniloc joint, that is also easily matched.

I also commit the AZ sin of using a custom cue butt with an LD shaft.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I use a Jacoby butt with a Schon shaft. I do this because I like the feel of the Jacoby (elforyn joint), and most Schons have a Steel joint which to me is too stiff hitting. You can tell the cue is mismatched (The Schon has a silver ring on the shaft collar, different logos on shaft and butt etc) but I don't care due to the way it plays. I also absolutely loved the stock Schon tip for a long time.

Now I put a Precision tip on and am even happier with the setup... this summer I'll probably put a Precision on the Jacoby stock shaft, which will allow me to do an apples-to-apples comparison on the shafts.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a few What's In The Case videos on YouTube and saw a few pros mix their cue butt and shaft with different brands. One of them in particular was Landon Shuffett playing a Predator 4K with an OS2 shaft. It's an old video and I know that Predator is currently in their 8K series.

I'm thinking of doing the same in my next cue purchase. Most likely I'm just wasting money, but there's just something that intrigues me about having a "mixed" cue stick. I'm leaning towards a Predator 8K-1 cue with an OS2+ shaft.

If you were to mix your playing cue with different brands, what would it be?

Thanks!

All of my cues are a mix, once you get a hit of a cue that you like with the balance and grip that you like, you can play around with shafts as much as you want to match it. A lot of the hit and all of the aim comes from the shaft, but it's silly to buy a whole new cue every time you are trying out shafts. My cue and my son's cue have their original shafts put away and we play with a mix of 4-5 shafts between OB and Players HXT, with various lengths and tip diameters.