Installation Questions

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am starting to put together a gc 1 here in my basement.

"I sold my Medalist to a family down the street"

If I get more questions I will ask them in this thread.

First question...
Can I use 3M super 77 multipurpose adhesive to attach pocket facings, or should I get contact cement, or something else?

Thanks in advance
steven

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Do not us spray adhesive. Use a good contact cement. If not the facing will fall down.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table has only been recovered two times. I know the slate is not original. Check out the bad repair on the counters
fe7b57c325c5cdfbd1e7f87ed382b355.jpg
aade85b5d26b5ec463af146a070a686c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
I think the bottom pic is almost original, In the top picture the guy installed one of the long spring steel pcs wrong. I think.
anyway, I am going to turn it around and bend it so it works.
steven

Last edited:

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang! Those are some clean score keeper wheels!
Great job.

Rob.M

I used warm water, dish soap and my wifes toothbrush..
Then a blow dry with the air compresser
I can't decide if I should tell her.
steven

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I used warm water, dish soap and my wifes toothbrush..
Then a blow dry with the air compresser
I can't decide if I should tell her.
steven

You never know, she may notice that some of the dish soap is missing:thumbup:

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You never know, she may notice that some of the dish soap is missing:thumbup:

I got away with it!!
she is none the wiser.

My project stalled a bit over the weekend, I do have some pictures coming of the little bit I did get done..
That fix for the score counters is amazing.
steven

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I got away with it!!
she is none the wiser.

My project stalled a bit over the weekend, I do have some pictures coming of the little bit I did get done..
steven

I really hate it when I go on vacation and I see pictures of the hotel employees cleaning the toilet with my toothbrush. Note to self: do not leave my toothbrush and camera in hotel room at the same time.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Billiards0518

Registered
For rail facings, I use Barge Cement. Can be found at Tandy Leather. Sometimes you can find it at shoe repair shops in toothpaste-size tubes. If you buy a quart of it, it'll run you about $35.00

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do not us spray adhesive. Use a good contact cement. If not the facing will fall down.

Super 77 spray adhesive is contact cement. I've just sprayed some into a little cup and then applied it evenly to the pocket facings with a little brush. Do the same to the cushion/pocket, let both sides flash off until really tacky, bond facing to rail. It should hold just fine if done like this.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Super 77 spray adhesive is contact cement. I've just sprayed some into a little cup and then applied it evenly to the pocket facings with a little brush. Do the same to the cushion/pocket, let both sides flash off until really tacky, bond facing to rail. It should hold just fine if done like this.
I wouldn't care if your name was GOD, the spray glue WILL fail in just a short time!

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Had to redo a whole pool hall that the previous mechanic ruined all brand new cushions using super77... it's only good for cloths on unbacked slates.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Had to redo a whole pool hall that the previous mechanic ruined all brand new cushions using super77... it's only good for cloths on unbacked slates.

Been my experience, as tight as I install the bed cloths, it's NOT even good for that. Nothing beats installing the bed cloths with Fastbond 10....nothing!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Been my experience, as tight as I install the bed cloths, it's NOT even good for that. Nothing beats installing the bed cloths with Fastbond 10....nothing!

Does 3M call it Fastbond 10 now??? My red and white 3M can simply said "10" on the front of the can in a square box in the label area, just 10, that was it. I had someone recover my Valley for me because after doing my GCI (which turned out fine) I decided putting cloth on tables wasnt really my thing, I do much better getting paid to do what I do and then paying someone who does tables to put cloth on. Anyhoo he used spray adhesive on the bed cloth, he even double secured it around the pockets with duct tape on the bottom and its already lifting up loose and I will have to re-glue it again. I guess thats why I did my GC in the first place, I couldnt find a qualified person to cover my table to my satisfaction, I guess I will need to do my Valley myself too. I guess cloth staying secure around the pocket openings longer than 3 months is just too much to ask.

Last edited:

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got away with it!!

she is none the wiser.

steven

Here is the fix for the scorers. Thanks tjohnson. They work better than ever.

de1e53c8531357500b5f7a44f8dfde5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finished the rails yesterday.
tmrw I get to level the slates with my new machinist level.
In the past I would roll balls and shim the low corners.

The level is a real eye opener for me. even though the table is level overall,
[with the level on top of an eight foot straight edge}, I do have low spots.
the center slate is low at both seams, for example. most edges are low as well.

I believe [hope} there is a little give in the slate. With the accuracy of the starrett I just need to bring up the edges that very little bit, and with the screws holding down the parts I want down I think I can get it pretty flat.

I see now why in some of you guys pictures there are about 6 or 8 levels all over the place.
steven

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
If you put a straitedge between your slate and the level, you are leveling your straitedge... it's good for leveling the frame first but you should use your level only on the slates