When and Why did the break shot change?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know the year when the distance between the balls on the break shot changed and was there reason for it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know the year when the distance between the balls on the break shot changed and was there reason for it?
I got the same question through a different channel.

The spacing between the balls on the head string (two cue balls at break time) has been 18.25cm since at least the 1950s according to the international rules. The US started to adopt the international rules when the BFUSA was formed in 1966.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's interesting in that when I started playing the ball were set 6" apart. My local room still does that, but I remember sometime in the 90's it seemed the change was made. I'm not arguing with you, its just what I experienced.

My takeaway not surprisingly is that many of the rooms didn't know the rule and 6" sounds good or was stated in their 50year old rules book.

We're likely involved with the same guy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's interesting in that when I started playing the ball were set 6" apart. ...
Technically, the US rule was "within" 6 inches and there was no requirement to place the breaker's cue ball on the spot.