Two shafts...obsessive?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really prefer that any of my good cues have two original shafts. In fact I find myself feeling very strongly about it.

I have three or four shafts for some of my good cues.

Is it obsessive?

How do you feel about it?

What is your reasoning for having two shafts if you prefer it?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to keep 2 shafts for my player because I want to be able to play my speed even if something was to happen to my main playing shaft. Just a weird habit or an obsession but it makes me feel comfortable to have a spare cue or shaft around :smile:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I really prefer that any of my good cues have two original shafts. In fact I find myself feeling very strongly about it.

Is it obsessive?

Me too. 3 or 4 shaft for some my cues , all my cues I have at least 2 shafts for each butt.
And I make shafts , which really opens the door to laminated blanks , making your own LD shafts.
But I prefer solid maple .shafts .
All my cue have the same pin size , meaning I have the option to using 20 different shafts if I wish too.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not at all. My sneaky's came with one shaft. I order a second immediately. Unfortunately one cue maker doesn't feel it's necessary to make me another one. I wish he understood how important it is for me to have two shafts.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Have 2 shafts for my player also. That should be enough if something happens to one of them, the only reason I can see for more than 2 is to experiment with different diameters or different types of shafts.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have 2 shafts for my player also. That should be enough if something happens to one of them, the only reason I can see for more than 2 is to experiment with different diameters or different types of shafts.

Some guys like to have 2 extra that they don't touch so they can sell the cue as "unplayed."

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Every cue I have purchases in the last years always had a second shaft that I never hit a ball with. I still wont purchase a cue with just 1 shaft though LOL.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What really gets my goat with 2 original shafts is when they are carried or stored together and only one warps.

I can understand it happening to both, but just one is perplexing.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is it obsessive?

I have three or four shafts for some of my good cues. .

My Ned Morris cue has 3 original shafts and 2 LD shafts (Players HXT and an OB). 4 LD shafts if you count the shafts my son also had on his cue that fits mine. With trying different shafts that matched my game ability and style I just ended up with some shafts. They came in handy when we had both our tips get knocked off within 2 days of each other, and we both had a spare shaft to play with while they were fixed.

With multiple shafts you can also try out different tips at the same time, or different tips and different shaft combinations. Good for spin/deflection/feel testing.

All 3 of the original shafts are different, length and diameter, they came that way with the cue. Nice to have original unplayed shafts for a collectible cue, especially for resale value.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife asked not to buy another cue for a while , I agreed but am now buying extra shafts for my cues. I just can't help myself. I'm trying to support pool as welll as my need to keep trying new things.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obsessive, yes. I understand it but I've never needed the second shaft. I have needed another cue. Had a pin come loose and screwed out while out out of town. I'd rather have two cues, single shaft each than one cue with two shafts.
Unless you travel all over playing for money, I don't see the need.
If you use LD shafts, it takes only a couple days to get another with all the major brands.

Last edited:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
My reason is simple...when the tip finally gets too thin, there's not always a tip guy standing right there to replace it; then I always have the other to use until I get it re-tipped. Plus, I rotate them frequently.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With multiple shafts you can also try out different tips at the same time, or different tips and different shaft combinations. Good for spin/deflection/feel testing.

I hear ya. Me too.

If I have two or three shafts and I want to try a different tip or even ferrule I can do a one to one comparison. If you only have one shaft and you change it you can't. Plus you are stuck with it if you don't like it...at least until you change it.

I often have at least one shaft I know I like as far as the tip and ferrule. Any others I can mess with without fouling up my game...I have a shaft to fall back to that I know I like.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for 55 years. I have owned and I have made many cues. I never have had more than 1 shaft for any cue I have owned............ to me a second shaft seems to be unnecessary and only for a sales pitch............

kim

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had two shafts for years.

While I did take advantage of the ability to use a shaft while the other was being re-tipped, I'd never had to use one as an emergency back-up - until last month! That's when I dropped my cue on a hard floor during a tournament and the tip popped clean off. I was able to switch to the other shaft until I could get the tip re-attached.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for 55 years. I have owned and I have made many cues. I never have had more than 1 shaft for any cue I have owned............ to me a second shaft seems to be unnecessary and only for a sales pitch............

kim

OK...but you make cues. You probably have had multiple cues around at one time.

Any chance you ever just grabbed another shaft to try on a butt you were using?

I understand how you feel, and I do not disagree.

But I do think having another shaft is a mighty convenient way to do things like compare tips.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Obviously, a tip can fall off, or you can get a bad dent in a shaft in a fit of anger or clumsiness. That's the basic reason for a second shaft.

Me, I like as many shafts as possible. It depends on the joint pin obviously, but the more shafts you can carry with you, the more fun you have.

For my 5/16 X 14 pin joint cues, I would say I have approximately 30 shafts.

And you asked about only two?

Think about it...

All the best,
WW

Don't limit my shafts...

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me too!

I think having 2 shafts makes perfect sense. I have two of Pat Diviney playing cues and three of his 30" Lake Salvage shafts, two are 12.5mm and one is 12.75.

All three shafts fit the two butts of the players. Heck, I have one of Pat's beautiful jump/break cues and keep a separate jumper just in case it is needed.

Extra shafts are expensive, my Diviney Lake Salvage Shafts run about $250.00 and up and a Kiel Wood shaft is even more.

A back up to the back up works for me. Go to a tournament and pop a tip off, grab the other shaft and fire away. Having one shaft makes about as much sense as having one gun. But, it is better then no gun!

I realize not every one can afford several high end shafts, but if you can afford high end cues then you probably can afford a couple of shafts.