Brunswick Monticello table - buying used

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pamphlet I found on AZB shows the Brunswick Monticello was probably a 1970s Brunswick home table. It was one of the three or four top home tables from Brunswick, identifiable because they used 1" slate and heavier frames, as compared to the 7/8 " or 3/4" slate, or wood honeycomb used on lower end Brunswick home tables.

I want an 8-foot table in my shop at home that plays well, a table with rails that bank consistently, not too short nor too long, also with something near to 'regulation' pocket sizes (not tight pockets) and proper angles so pockets won't spit the ball back at me on a what should have been a good shot.

My question is this: can the Brunswick Monticello home table shown below be 'fixed' to shoot square and consistent like I want, for a reasonable rail and rubber repair price of about $1500 or less, or should I hold out for a GC III or IV, and spend that same $1500 repair and refurbishing fund on a GC instead?

I found spec sheets for the Brunswick Monticello table. The spec sheet calls out "3-piece doweled, matched and registered 1" slate" and "Super Speed" cushions. "Regulation size pockets are secured into the rails with machine screws ... "Rails are Melamine covered, supported by and bolted through the slate for maximum rail rigidity".

Unfortunately, as far as I can find no Diamond table fits my budget of $2,000, not even second hand, Blue label, or 7 foot models.

My pool table gets only modest use, a few hours each week. It sits in my insulated and air conditioned 30x40 metal shop building, with a plywood hinged cover and a tarp on top, designed to keep the table safe from my two cats who live out there and make sure no critters invade.

About six or seven years ago I had a chance to buy a 9' Brunswick Monticello from a rather wealthy family. I passed on it because I was not able to see good enough to play on a 9' table, and because it had rounded pockets (similar to snooker tables but wider.) Nevertheless, it was a beautiful table for that era, and probably quite pricey in its heyday.

cue 17Monticello.jpg

cue 18Monticello.jpg

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, replying to my own post, how weird is that.

Anyway, I am traveling to see this table today. After speaking to the owner for the last 20 years (only 2cd owner) who has been well pleased with the table (kids, adult kids, grandkids) I am fairly certain I will buy this. The price is right, under $500, which leaves plenty of room for moving and possible rail, cushion, pocket refurbishing if needed. I have the cloth for a recover.

I need a recommendation for a competent mover slash cloth installer, or even better a full table mechanic, working out of the Dallas area. The table is in Mesquite just east of Dallas, to be moved an installed in my building located 100 miles north of Mesquite just outside Paris TX.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and replying to my reply, just to close the loop:

I am now in contact with Shane Johnson, an experienced table mechanic who comes highly recommended by several AZB members of long standing. He works throughout my Northeast Texas area. I am comfortable with his suggestions and feel right working with him, so it's all good now.