Predator Revo ownwers what do you think

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A quick follow up. Had the REVO for a few months. I'm enjoying it...(stock tip). Would buy it again.

jameslawrence39

Registered
I have been interested in getting the revo for some time now. I see that they have many limited edition cues out for the revo shaft. Do all the revo cues hit feel the same? Like for instance the P3 to the SP series? Just wondering as the SP is much cheaper.

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any thoughts on the most expensive one? I like the way it looks compared to the other 2 and seriously considering buying it but wanna do my due diligence before dropping 3 grand lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sublimely crafted with more than 400 inlays
Sheathed in stained Curly Maple, Snakewood, Thuya Burl, Elforyn, and polished alloy
Scalloped rings, joint collars and butt collars
Inlayed joint protectors
REVO carbon fiber composite shaft

So this is what they have in the description for the most expensive REVO - 400 inlays, scalloped rings etc.

Is that actually that impressive and worth 3000 dollars?

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sublimely crafted with more than 400 inlays
Sheathed in stained Curly Maple, Snakewood, Thuya Burl, Elforyn, and polished alloy
Scalloped rings, joint collars and butt collars
Inlayed joint protectors
REVO carbon fiber composite shaft

So this is what they have in the description for the most expensive REVO - 400 inlays, scalloped rings etc.

Is that actually that impressive and worth 3000 dollars?

Even if I had the money I would not buy it because of the tacky panther logo on the handle. This may have sold out if the logo was not the centrepiece. I would rather buy the Gordias...you're also getting the same performance at the end of the day if you bought the entry level Revo SP because you're going to hit balls with the shaft and not the butt with the 400 inlays.

Good luck & Let us know what you end up buying.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with it for 2 weeks now and I'm still on the fence...the pros have been talked about mostly so I will list some of the things I don't like.

Cons:
1. The shaft keeps getting some sort of dirt build up as you play longer. It gets to certain parts in my game where I'm down doing the practice strokes & then I feel the dirt on my fingers. Very distracting & annoying. I do wipe the shaft every rack & it still happens.

2. The shaft can chip. I bought a used one from a member here. He did NOT tell me that there was a chip. I felt it was too late when I found out as it had been a day that I had the shaft. Luckily I sold it on ebay. Funny thing is, it's for sale again on ebay for 2x the price I listed it for.

3. The Revo is best used with a high contrast color tip. This may limit your options especially if your favorite tip is of a darker contrast. I agree with Predator's claim that their tip color provides excellent sighting due to the high contrast of their tip. This helps in aiming especially with the Revo being all black. When I played with the used Revo it had a black Kamui and I found it a bit hard to sight the edge. I bought another Revo cue with the factory tip and I believe it is better performance-wise.

I'm sure I will get to know the Revo more as I use it. However, I might not get to do so as I just purchased a mint LE13. The cue uses a Radial joint so I may be ditching the Revo.

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny thing is, it's for sale again on ebay for 2x the price I listed it for.

Hadn't looked for those on eBay in a while.. Really funny thing about that one up for sale on eBay (pretty sure it's the one you're talking about) that the same user has the same shaft listed not just once, but twice. More amusing yet is that he has it at two wildly different buy-it-now prices, with one listing offering the imperfect shaft at a BIN price higher than it can be purchased new, with a butt, and the lifetime warranty that this one wouldn't have...

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hadn't looked for those on eBay in a while.. Really funny thing about that one up for sale on eBay (pretty sure it's the one you're talking about) that the same user has the same shaft listed not just once, but twice. More amusing yet is that he has it at two wildly different buy-it-now prices, with one listing offering the imperfect shaft at a BIN price higher than it can be purchased new, with a butt, and the lifetime warranty that this one wouldn't have...

Yes we're referring to he same listing. I did not even know you could list the same item more than once?!

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A have 5 months into my Revo and I have a few differences in my experiences.
I listed them under yours:

Played with it for 2 weeks now and I'm still on the fence...the pros have been talked about mostly so I will list some of the things I don't like.

Cons:
1. The shaft keeps getting some sort of dirt build up as you play longer. It gets to certain parts in my game where I'm down doing the practice strokes & then I feel the dirt on my fingers. Very distracting & annoying. I do wipe the shaft every rack & it still happens.

--- This buildup is chalk from your hand to your shaft; might consider your chalking methods. I have felt this as well but only when I get sloppy. Same concept that gets your wood shafts dirty; nice being able to simply wipe down the Revo.

2. The shaft can chip. I bought a used one from a member here. He did NOT tell me that there was a chip. I felt it was too late when I found out as it had been a day that I had the shaft. Luckily I sold it on ebay. Funny thing is, it's for sale again on ebay for 2x the price I listed it for.

--- I can't even imagine what abuse it would take to actually dent or chip one of these shafts. It would without any doubt need to be abused...without a doubt!
The chipped one I see on eBay would be worthless to me; no different than buying a vehicle that you know was abused.

3. The Revo is best used with a high contrast color tip. This may limit your options especially if your favorite tip is of a darker contrast. I agree with Predator's claim that their tip color provides excellent sighting due to the high contrast of their tip. This helps in aiming especially with the Revo being all black. When I played with the used Revo it had a black Kamui and I found it a bit hard to sight the edge. I bought another Revo cue with the factory tip and I believe it is better performance-wise.

--- I've never been a fan of the Predator Victory tips but it isn't about the color. IMO it is the same marketing attempt as Kamui's uses with their "Clear" backings on their tips; they stand out, but its for everyone else not just you.
I have tried 6 different tips (hardness, brands, even colors) looking for the perfect (personal) match. I settled in on the Black Soft (Ultraskin); the shaft stiffness (for me) works better with a soft tip. I typically average at least 15 a week and simply don't buy into a contrast need for sighting.

I'm sure I will get to know the Revo more as I use it. However, I might not get to do so as I just purchased a mint LE13. The cue uses a Radial joint so I may be ditching the Revo.

--- Revo is now available in the Radial joint; tough sell for another one though.
--- The hardest thing I have had to get used with the Revo is it's smoothness / slickness. Never use to prefer a freshly cleaned supper slick shaft's lack of feel and the Revo always feels like that.

Attachments

• Revo Cues.JPG
    Revo Cues.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,322
Last edited:

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if I had the money I would not buy it because of the tacky panther logo on the handle. This may have sold out if the logo was not the centrepiece. I would rather buy the Gordias...you're also getting the same performance at the end of the day if you bought the entry level Revo SP because you're going to hit balls with the shaft and not the butt with the 400 inlays.

Good luck & Let us know what you end up buying.

Thanks I was just wondering if there was anything special about the butt in the description.

I actually broke my schon cue so I'm looking for a new cue.

I like that predator panthera cue? It has a jacoby butt apparently. I think that's a slick design.

I also saw that they are selling the revo shaft by itself now as well.

Does the revo shaft look like new after cleaning it, even after a few months of constant chalking?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Thanks I was just wondering if there was anything special about the butt in the description.

I actually broke my schon cue so I'm looking for a new cue.

I like that predator panthera cue? It has a jacoby butt apparently. I think that's a slick design.

I also saw that they are selling the revo shaft by itself now as well.

Does the revo shaft look like new after cleaning it, even after a few months of constant chalking?

I'm not a fan of the new Pantera as it's still a bit gaudy with a big panther on it. Plus who is Jacob, just pretty much another production builder. I see they're a few new Revo cues on ebay with the sneaky Pete's under 700. You can also get the classico's with revo shaft now for under 900. Is have the limited edition sp2revo2. Everyone loves the looks that sees it.

Only had it 2 weeks so couldn't tell you about the looks after a couple months but I plan to use the revo wipes 1x a week to keep it clean.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its hard to gage properly cause Darren plays great with his other 314-2 shaft. They pay him plus he's a great player. I haven't heard many great things at all about these shafts. Most people convince themselves it's better cause they have to justify the money they just blew.

If Darren Appleton didn't like his Revo he'd just stick to his 314.
Still gets sponsored.
I got a Revo recently, ONLY because I've done little other than dismiss it and criticize it here on AZ.
So I figured I should try and play with one for a while, not just a day, before I start spouting out my opinion.
It's a 12.9 and so far the only thing I miss is not seeing as much of the cue ball as I did with the 12.7 314.
It's very smooth, almost too much so...lol, especially if you wear a glove.
I'd say no glove necessary, at least not for me.
Shoots good, much more quiet than the 314's, makes my cue sound like a full splice sneaky.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3. The Revo is best used with a high contrast color tip. This may limit your options especially if your favorite tip is of a darker contrast. I agree with Predator's claim that their tip color provides excellent sighting due to the high contrast of their tip. This helps in aiming especially with the Revo being all black.

Lol.....Appleton just put a black Kamui on his Revo shaft.

I personally actually like the soft Predator tip that comes with the shaft.

No plans on changing but when I do a dark tip won't make me change my mind since I never focus in on the tip.
If anything I guess I could argue back that a dark tip is a nice contrast to the white cue ball.

Just look at Dechaine's ferrule.....lol

cluelesscuer

I bought the Revo shaft and I have a kamui on it...now with no ferrule and the matching black...i can't see my tip at all. It's definetly feels weird aiming. I don't know if it is bad or not...

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Revo shaft and I have a kamui on it...now with no ferrule and the matching black...i can't see my tip at all. It's definetly feels weird aiming. I don't know if it is bad or not...

Felt the same way with the first Revo I had w/c I bought used as it had a dark tip on it. It made me uncomfortable when aiming. I sold it eventually and then got a brand new Revo & IMO a colored tip such as the Predator Victory helps me with aiming since it is in my line of sight & I tend to look at my tip when shooting.

Marky Mark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol.....Appleton just put a black Kamui on his Revo shaft.

I personally actually like the soft Predator tip that comes with the shaft.

No plans on changing but when I do a dark tip won't make me change my mind since I never focus in on the tip.
If anything I guess I could argue back that a dark tip is a nice contrast to the white cue ball.

Just look at Dechaine's ferrule.....lol

Glad to know you're giving the Revo a chance. I loved the 12.9 uni-loc QR but I hated the 12.4 Radial. I want to buy the cheapest Predator cue and pair with the 12.9 when Predator updates their Roadline series as it is due for a refresh & when I get the extra $$$. I played well with the 12.9 so I'm definitely hoping to have it back as part of my shooting gear.

As far as the tip goes, a contrasting color works for me as I look at the tip too when I aim & shoot. Has your tip mushroomed? Mine did not with the 12.9 but it did with the 12.4 which pissed me off...

Last edited:

gregnice37

Silver Member
Glad to know you're giving the Revo a chance. I loved the 12.9 uni-loc QR but I hated the 12.4 Radial. I want to buy the cheapest Predator cue and pair with the 12.9 when Predator updates their Roadline series as it is due for a refresh & when I get the extra $$$. I played well with the 12.9 so I'm definitely hoping to have it back as part of my shooting gear.

As far as the tip goes, a contrasting color works for me as I look at the tip too when I aim & shoot. Has your tip mushroomed? Mine did not with the 12.9 but it did with the 12.4 which pissed me off...

Seyberts offers the shaft with almost every predator cue now. If I didn't already have one I'd get the sport ice with the revo. Think it looks awesome together.

cluelesscuer

I actually bought 2 12.4 predator revo shafts and 2 classico predator cues. My plan now is to use the predator victory soft tip on my playing cue and the Zan hard (original) on my break cue.

gregnice37

Silver Member
I actually bought 2 12.4 predator revo shafts and 2 classico predator cues. My plan now is to use the predator victory soft tip on my playing cue and the Zan hard (original) on my break cue.

Sweet. Have 4 customs that should be finished this year for me. 3 have 3/8x10 pins & according to Predator they don't plan on making any other pin choices. However the 4th cue that I'll be picking up at the SBE next April will have a radial pin & was thinking that if I'm still enjoying the Revo at that time I'd seriously consider picking up another 12.4mm shaft with the radial pin to fit my cue.