Can a Radial pin shaft be altered to fit a 3/8x10 pin cue butt?

I have a couple of Radial pin Diveney shafts, and I assume that that will only fit Radial pin cue butts.

I am curious if it would hurt their playability (quality of hit) to have them altered to fit on a 3/8x10 pin (like a Mcdermott cue butt for example), and would it be a difficult (and expensive) repair job?

What is the average amount that an alteration (to the wood threads of a radial pin shaft) cost to change the threads to fit nice and tight to a 3/8x10 pin cue butt (if this repair job is even possible without ruining the nice hit of the shafts)?

Sorry, I know nothing about cue making, so I do not know how stupid my question was (if it was a stupid question).

Thanks

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Not hard to change the shaft to fit a 3/8-10. It would involve boring out a larger hole in the shaft, plugging the hole and starting from scratch. Drill. bore and tap the hole for 3/8-10 threads.

It can change the feel of the shaft some. Just make sure you take or send them to someone who can do it right.

Thanks for your reply. That sounds more complicated then I thought it might be. I am assuming that would be a costly job. How many minutes do you think a job like that would take, and how much do most good repair men charge per hour (or for a particular job like that)? I am thinking it might be a bad idea, and would probably ruin the original value of the shafts. Thanks.

Not hard to change the shaft to fit a 3/8-10. It would involve boring out a larger hole in the shaft, plugging the hole and starting from scratch. Drill. bore and tap the hole for 3/8-10 threads.

It can change the feel of the shaft some. Just make sure you take or send them to someone who can do it right.

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can also just tap with 3/8 x 10 and it will fit both pins. Just have to be careful when starting threads as it can cross thread.

flufly da killa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tony gave some good advice.its not that costly and i had it done on one of my cues by wayne ball of killer cues in tampa ..he used a linen/phenalic type materal to plug re taped 3/8 10 thread..cue screws together nice and tight like it should....price no more than 50.00bones..robertsons billards tampa fla..

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can also just tap with 3/8 x 10 and it will fit both pins. Just have to be careful when starting threads as it can cross thread.

This sounds like great advice. If it doesn't work out you can always plug and tap.

venison-slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft

I had a edge hybrid from jacoby come in my shop that was tapped for both spun true for 3/8x10 just a little off on the radial

Brickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds like great advice. If it doesn't work out you can always plug and tap.

It works as I have OB demo shafts that I have done this way and they work on both radial and 3/8 x 10.

Also look around and find a good cue repairman if you want to plug and tap.