Cue recommendations for ~200$

LFADAM

I'm sure you all see a lot of these threads, but I didn't know where to start. I'm Christmas shopping for my dad who has owned a pool table for 20+ years but is just starting to play more now that he's retired. His current cues are old one piece house cues. Some are warped, some with repaired/replaced tips. I was thinking about getting him a new set of 6 house cues but then I thought it might be better to use the money to buy him a nice cue for himself since he'll be playing the most. I can't afford to drop 1000$ on a cue, but do you all have any recommendations on a ~200 dollar cue that will serve him well for years? Doesn't have to be incredibly flashy, I just don't want to shell out 200 dollars on a cue that turns out to be a shiny piece of junk vs a less flashy quality piece. He'll never remove the cue from our basement so one piece cues are fine if that's a factor. He uses a 19 or 20 oz cue at the moment.

Thanks for any recommendations!

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For around the $200 price range I would suggest Mcdermott or Viking. For that price you'll be getting a plain maple cue that has been stained with a color of your choosing and an irish linen wrap. These cues look great and are very traditional. Don't really think you can go wrong with one of those plain jane cues from those 2 companies with proven track records and lifetime warranties.

Now if you up your range another $100 to the $300 range your options grow exponentially. You really start to go into the nice mid-range production cues from all the makers such as Mcdermott, Viking, Joss, Lucasi, Pechaur, etc. You can probably even get one of the custom builders here on AZ to build you something very nice and personal.

Either way great gesture and good luck.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke Sneaky Pete-about $100.,McDermott GS-series-about $200.,J Pechauer Pro H-about $270.00.Any of these with the Pechauer being the best,IMO.McD and Pech have lifetime warranty.Schmelke is still very good.Good luck with your choice !!!

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
I'd look into picking up a used Lucasi in that range, they make good hitting cues that feel good in the hands. What game does he primarily play?

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever you get, choose a standard joint like 3/8-10 or 5/16-18.

I am sure the Schmelke reverse brass joint has passed the test of time, but it would he hard to get a second shaft anywhere but at Schmelke if you choose their proprietary joint.

For a new inexpensive cue, I like the $100 Schmelke R020 Rosewood 4-Prong Sneaky Pete, 19 ounces, 13mm or 12.5mm shat diameter, Schmelke Standard Soft tip, Joint #3 5/16 x 18 tpi Brass Pin & Insert, Pro Taper, and either 58" Standard Length or for a longer-armed person go up to 59" or 60" and pay $15-$20 extra.

http://schmelkecue.com/billiard-cues/schmelke-cues/r020-4-prong-rosewood.html

The good thing about a sneaky pete like this one is you are not paying for any decoration, just a two piece cue.

Also check this one, which I like so much I am thinking about buying one for myself:

http://billiards.pooldawg.com/search?p=Q&asug=&w=schmelke

This one at Pooldawg is cocobolo, very beautiful, and they offer it at $92 and it comes with a bunch of freebies like chalk holder, a dozen chalks, shaft cleaner and a talc bag.

cbrand

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd get a huebler, The best cue I have ever owned. Just make sure the shaft has nylon insert. You'll have to ask around and might have to kick in another 50 bucks or so .

James2003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For around the $200 price range I would suggest Mcdermott or Viking. For that price you'll be getting a plain maple cue that has been stained with a color of your choosing and an irish linen wrap. These cues look great and are very traditional. Don't really think you can go wrong with one of those plain jane cues from those 2 companies with proven track records and lifetime warranties.

Now if you up your range another $100 to the $300 range your options grow exponentially. You really start to go into the nice mid-range production cues from all the makers such as Mcdermott, Viking, Joss, Lucasi, Pechaur, etc. You can probably even get one of the custom builders here on AZ to build you something very nice and personal.

Either way great gesture and good luck.

Do you happen to know much about the Lucky series by McDermott?
Are they actually made by mcdermott or are they made by someone else with there logo on it?
They seem to be in the $150 range