Mosconi Cup Unpicked Players Bail Out

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think with less then 2 weeks to go, Mark has better things to do then to satisfy you. I'm sure he will lose sleep over you. If he wants us to know the details, he will tell us. But I bet it won't be till after the event....if at all. Did anyone, especially Lou, consider that maybe it was mutually agreed upon that those 3 did not attend? Maybe.....maybe not. No one knows for sure. Yet some of this group want to burn people at the stake. I just don't get it. I am ashamed of some of you. I am ashamed to be associated with some of you. Hell, I'm even ashamed of myself of even adding to this stupid assed thread.

I agree with you and Cleary. This is a big to-do about nothing! I'm sure none of the nine principles involved (eight players and one coach) will lose any sleep over this MEANINGLESS thread.

As for me, I'm strongly supporting our team and our great coach in bringing back the Cup. It would be an enormous upset if they win, but I remember the U.S. Hockey team in 1980 beating the professional Russian team to win the Gold medal. I will almost guarantee that this will be a real battle for Europe to win this time. I can just feel it! :grin:

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
As for me, I'm strongly supporting our team and our great coach in bringing back the Cup. It would be an enormous upset if they win, but I remember the U.S. Hockey team in 1980 beating the professional Russian team to win the Gold medal. I will almost guarantee that this will be a real battle for Europe to win this time. I can just feel it! :grin:

Sometimes we need to be "Nay Sayers" to have people to "react". I'd say the US Team has no chance this year !!!! :D

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sometimes we need to be "Nay Sayers" to have people to "react". I'd say the US Team has no chance this year !!!! :D

I'll take three on the wire and bet you the ranch! Team USA must win eight matches for me to win. I'll take them even if you want to give me 5-1 odds. After all they have "no chance!"

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
This is just my opinion. don't really care if anyone agrees...

If I was one of the three not chosen and IF I had the free time where I wasn't working or wasn't tied down to other responsibilities I'd damn sure go. I'd shake off not getting selected and treat it as someone just offered me a free Christmas vacation to the UK all expenses covered, plus extra spending money in my pocket to boot!!

Also, so what about pride. They could use the gift vacation to get their brand in the spotlight, at the same time support the USA and the team. Plus, I'm sure Oscar could match up and gamble with some Brits in his spare time...not like the work day will be grueling..

Could have been fun if only these guys didn't look at it like a slight or consolation.

Life is too short. How many times do these guys get to travel to Europe for free?

Last edited:

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whole thing is a joke.

MC is a televised stunt. Sure it's entertaining, but it's not serious.

The selection process was opaque. Two words: John Schmidt...enough said.

By far the stupidest sentence written on AZB: "Jeremy Sossei is tasked as Offensive Coordinator in the build up and during the event while Oscar Dominguez fulfils the role of Defensive Coach. The eighth member of the squad Brandon Shuff has a technical role as Special Shots Instructor."

I don't blame the 3 guys being tarred/feathered one bit for opting out of the circus.

Now that's funny...

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Actually

I agree with you and Cleary. This is a big to-do about nothing! I'm sure none of the nine principles involved (eight players and one coach) will lose any sleep over this MEANINGLESS thread.

The US beat Finland to win the gold. They beat the Russians earlier.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Wrong

They beat the two best teams to win! Correct

Sweden got third and probably would have won but their offensive coordinator, defensive and special shot coaches decided at the last minute not to make the trip!

The Team from Russia also had some 16 year old kid named Carson trying to show them how to use a touch of inside on their slapshots...didn't work and still don't!

Just kidding Jay...nothing personal

Wedge

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it rather interesting, that with the amount of league players we have on here, so many still don't understand the concept of "team". Namely, what the other team members are supposed to be doing to ensure you play your best.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it rather interesting, that with the amount of league players we have on here, so many still don't understand the concept of "team". Namely, what the other team members are supposed to be doing to ensure you play your best.

Will those team members ever be playing or are they just there to retrieve your next beer?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Will those team members ever be playing or are they just there to retrieve your next beer?

In my experience, league players stay and support their team, cuz they could be playing next time.

I'm not certain league play is a good analogy here, as none of these pro's have been in that sort of environment in some time... (ok, Schmidt and Duell did the Bonus Ball thing, I guess...)

The whole thread is based on incomplete information, and much supposition. If this, if that... I agree that one should live up to their word. What I, and no one else here knows are the particulars. As such, I'm gonna hang on before making any judgement.

But I will be rooting for Team USA.

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know I just have a feeling USA will win this year, and surprisingly by a large margin.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
simple, who cares if they go, I mean the offensive coach defensive coach special shots coach etc was aan absolute joke its not like there are timeouts in the match plus these "coaches" maybe bar Oscar all have less experience and are not as good as the others so that to me would cause more unrest than positivity having shuff try tell me how to get out if I was svb corey Schmidt etc there US open champions

however it was a team of 8 all were going together regardless how stupid should have followed through, Oscar wants to keep stealing at his own mezz cue tour

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
simple, who cares if they go, I mean the offensive coach defensive coach special shots coach etc was aan absolute joke its not like there are timeouts in the match plus these "coaches" maybe bar Oscar all have less experience and are not as good as the others so that to me would cause more unrest than positivity having shuff try tell me how to get out if I was svb corey Schmidt etc there US open champions

however it was a team of 8 all were going together regardless how stupid should have followed through, Oscar wants to keep stealing at his own mezz cue tour

Who here on AZ has ever done some warmup drills or training drills by themselves. You get a certain level of efficiency out of hitting balls by yourself. Then who here has ever had a non player or much lesser player rack balls to practice your break or setup balls for a drill, much more efficient better but still you the player review wth your own eyes and thoughts. Then sometimes you are playing and traveling with a better player or taking lessons from a great teacher and in this case you get way better feedback on what you are doing and on getting the results. And of course constant positivity which is a big part of the mental approach most all elite players have and use to maintain that focus and high level of play.

Now these 3 players that were part of the Mosconi 8, are all highly knowledgeable players. Elite world class players they could have each added a lot more to the effort, for sure more than most of you are thinking. Mark would have had them working with the players. Prepping them, pumping them up, being in the corner of a very loud arena with a strong local crowd. It would have made our team stronger and that would have helped in my humble opinion.

Mark was on a different trail with a new vision of what is possible. He was trying to accomplish something using new methodologies. I think there are a lot of people on this forum second guessing Mark's choices. I only wish the entire team could have stuck it out, played their roles and overcame their ego's for long enough to give this the max effort. I know they went and did some team building with the Navy Seals, I would like to hear from the Seals and see if some of them ever have to step back take a lesser role and still give 100% to get the job done.

This is a team event not 5 individual players. I think we will see a team and a high level of play from our US Mosconi Team. I think the naysayers will be surprised and I look forward to watching a wonderful event.

USA USA USA

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
it was 15g for winners and 7500 losers last year or year before, maybe went up

2013 -- $20,000 each on winners' side, $10,000 each on losers' side
2009 - 2012 -- $15,000, $7,500
2007 - 2008 -- $20,000, $10,000
2006 -- $15,000, $15,000 (draw)

[from AzB Tournament Results]

Last edited: