key ball positions

teebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool often and trying to learn all I can about it for about 3 years. I can break and run out in 8 ball occasionally and have taken the 6 ball ghost to the hill a few times. Two months ago I started playing straight pool once a week with a friend. Neither of us has any experience with the game at all.

We can both run 10 or 12 balls If we get the right chance but we cannot get past that rack. The key ball that we leave seems correct but we either miss it or bury the cue ball in the middle of the rack or stitched in some other way. The truth is most of our 12 ball runs come after a failed break attempt by the opponent rather than a successful break by our selves.

Niether of us seem to have much trouble breaking clusters of balls after some have been moved but a full rack is beyond us at this point.
Where could I find some typical key ball locations with recommended cue ball speed and cue ball english as a starting point for learning how to make it from rack 1 to rack 2.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Try to spot the Triangle of 3 balls early, once you have spotted it figure out how to enter that triangle. so realisticall you have to recognize which 5 or 6 balls would be the last balls to shoot on the table.

it really helps if you look at the table and play out the pattern backwards, but that takes some training !

The triangle is the Break Shot, Key ball, and Key Ball to the Key ball !

I recomend picking up John Schmidts dvd on how he runs 100s, he goes over this type of stuff and it will really help you alot

Hope this helps!
Steve

teebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,I have seen that DVD mentioned often and will purchase one for sure.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Break Balls

Thanks,I have seen that DVD mentioned often and will purchase one for sure.

I saw John at Derby and I actually have some of his dvds signed by him. I was supposed to sell them and give him the money, but I got distracted. If you want one, they are $35 and I will make sure he gets the money. gwtlaw@aol.com Or you can send the money to his best friend Marop who posts here. bmr1275@aol.com

Anyway, your post mentions key balls, but the context seems like maybe you meant break balls. Key balls are the balls right before the break shot which allow you to get your cue ball into a good position to break.

In addition to John's dvd, both Rempe (http://www.accu-stats.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1170456574) and Sigel have good videos out on how to run a rack which go into break balls and how to shoot them.

Additionally AZB's own Steve Lipsky came up with a cue table drawing of preferred break balls and numbered them in order of his preference which he kindly forwarded to me yesterday for your viewing pleasure.

CueTable Help

Here is the key:

A is where I want to be on the 7
B is where I want to be on the 10 (and the 1)
C is where I want to be on the 11
D is where I want to be on the 15 (via a BIH by stopping the cueball in the rack)

The shots on the 10 (2 rails with inside english) and the 11 are two of my favorites to play, because they look pretty and are actually remarkably easy.

Last edited:

teebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information. I appreciate the correction. It is definitely break balls I was asking about. I have so recently tried this game that I do not know the correct terms yet. I downloaded the rules and started playing. I will contact you about one of those dvds.

Thelonious Monk

Registered
Additionally AZB's own Steve Lipsky came up with a cue table drawing of preferred break balls and numbered them in order of his preference which he kindly forwarded to me yesterday for your viewing pleasure.

Wow, I love this diagram. Thank you for posting, and thanks to Steve Lipsky for making it.

One question I'm left with -- what do the spare cue balls A and B beneath the rack represent? Are they two final 'desperation' break balls?

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Break Shots

I learned a lot from Grady Mathew's "Break Shots and Key Balls". Also, Jim Rempe's "How To Run A Rack and How To Run 100 Balls" are huge helps.

Ron F

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Hi Thelonious. Yes, cueballs A and B are the final desperation break shots. As a rule, they're pretty bad. I need to make a correction on the table though... they both come before shot 15. So A=15, B=A, 15=B. ;)