3 rows of 3 drill - connect the balls - response to Vahmurka

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Mike,

I was not sure if the diagram went through via PM - hopefully this helps you out - sorry about the text overlapping.

CueTable Help

Nice table, David. I'll have to play with it some.

I find that sometimes when I have too many possible break shots, I don't make a decision on which to use soon enough and I get myself in trouble. Other times, when I choose one and the pattern to get to it, things work out much better even if, strictly speaking, it is a less desirable break ball.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Nice table, David. I'll have to play with it some.

I find that sometimes when I have too many possible break shots, I don't make a decision on which to use soon enough and I get myself in trouble. Other times, when I choose one and the pattern to get to it, things work out much better even if, strictly speaking, it is a less desirable break ball.

The point of the diagrams is to show how to place the cue ball in positions that give you that "either/or" situation. It also helps you plan ahead with your patterns. I have about 20 more pages that go with this - but due to time restraints, I will have to post it tomorrow. The main thing to remember is that where you finish depends a lot on where you start. If you get out of line, get back to center table, re-evaluate and re-plan your mission.

Here are some videos of me doing the drills, I believe I have posted these before.

End Pattern Drills - 3 rows of 3

End Pattern Drills - 3 rows of 3 (alternate set-up) - plus 3 rows of 5

BTW, Dennis, it's a new year... we're still waiting for that 58.

:p

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
thanks a lot Blackjack! From what you posted I can tell I should approach the drill with more freedom and try not to be limited by any certain pattern. Recently I was too cautious about making each of the side rack break balls too early and tried to save them there as long as possible. Same refers to possible key balls which I considered to be ones above the break balls. That blocked my mind and the pockets for the middle ball (9 in your example) :) One has to clear 3 and/or 7 to play the 9 in the corner or 5 and 6 to play it in the side. Yes it passes to the far corners also but generally we want to use 4 pockets, right?
I will keep trying 3x3 drill variations and if I happen to tape my tries on video again I might be able to show what the problem is, if that remains.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
thanks a lot Blackjack! From what you posted I can tell I should approach the drill with more freedom and try not to be limited by any certain pattern. Recently I was too cautious about making each of the side rack break balls too early and tried to save them there as long as possible. Same refers to possible key balls which I considered to be ones above the break balls. That blocked my mind and the pockets for the middle ball (9 in your example) :) One has to clear 3 and/or 7 to play the 9 in the corner or 5 and 6 to play it in the side.

That's sort of what I do sometimes. Not necessarily in the drill, but while playing. I hate shooting off a possible break shot and sometimes I shoot off a ball that would have been a better key ball rather than taking off the redundant break ball.

Don't get me wrong. I know that a potential break ball a lot of times makes a good key ball, but I am just saying that sometimes I don't decide soon enough and preserve an extra break ball a little too long making my final pattern a little more difficult.

Demondrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Blackjack.

I have liked your 3x3 drill ever since I saw it. I now work the drill to get position for every ball to be my break ball. It forces you to look at the patterns in a whole new light. Probably not patterns I would use to finish a rack but great to learn how to get from ball to ball in mid-rack.

Thanks for your posts and sharing your knowledge.