Opening break

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the latest ruling concerning a foul on opening break. Does the incoming player have the option of accepting the table or calling for a re rack and break, or is it automatic re rack?

Dave Nelson

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
As far as I know it is this

6. OPENING BREAK. Starting player must either

(1) designate a ball and a pocket into which that ball will be pocketed and accomplish the shot, or (2) cause the cue ball to contact a ball and then a cushion, plus cause two object balls to contact a cushion. Failure to meet at least one of the above requirements is a breaking violation. Offender's score is assessed a two point penalty for each breaking violation. In addition, the opponent has the choice of (1) accepting the table in position, or (2) having the balls reracked and requiring the offending player to repeat the opening break. That choice continues until the opening break is not a breaking violation, or until the opponent accepts the table in position. The three successive fouls rule does not apply to breaking violations.

If the starting player scratches on a legal opening break, he is charged with a foul and assessed a one point penalty, which applies toward the "Successive Fouls Penalties." The incoming player is awarded cue ball in hand behind the head string, with object balls in position.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Someone had told me recently that the option had been removed and the re rack and re break were automatic.

Dave Nelson

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Did they say why? Generally speaking rules don't change all that much unless there is a very specific reason. And yes they do change IF there is a reason. Also consider the source and situation pool players are BSers almost as often as not

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Hmmm, we have a discrepency. The BCA/World Standardized Rules I have (dated 1/1/08) read (my highlights):

"4.3 Opening Break Shot
The following rules apply to the opening break shot: (a) The cue ball begins in hand behind the head string. (b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail or the shot is a breaking foul. (See 8.4 Driven to a Rail.) This is penalized by subtracting two points from the breaker’s score. (See 4.10 Breaking Foul.) The non-breaking player may accept the balls in position or may require the breaker to play another opening break shot, until he satisfies the requirements for an opening break or the non-shooting player accepts the table in position. (See 4.11 Serious Fouls.)"

I always thought the 3-foul rule applied as well, but I knew it was a 2-point penalty.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
Sure there will always be discrepencies from rulebook to rulebook. Another important discrepency between them is:

(2) cause the cue ball to contact a ball and then a cushion, plus cause two object balls to contact a cushion.

Vs.

(b) If no called ball is pocketed, the cue ball and two object balls must each be driven to a rail or the shot is a breaking foul.

That little “and then a cushion” is a very bid difference because it can be interpreted as though a “rail 1st stick to the back of the rack safe” is a legal break as long as 2 balls are driven to a rail; think about it in the latter the break shot criteria has been fulfilled. I would ask a BCA ref before I broke though. Not sure what he would say, but he might say something like “I know how the rule reads but it assumes you are using COMMON SENSE!” so I would ask the TD.