Visit from Bankonit and Gerry

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Afternoon people,

Had a visit from Bankonit and Gerry today to watch some of the monthly 300 point K.O.T.H. straight pool at D&D Family Billiards in Thorndale Pa.
Good seeing both of them in the room. Pete Sinkler and I are trying to keep the interest in 14-1 going. It`s a shame more people don`t pick it up, what a great game it is.
Gerry played some one pocket, 9 ball, with Chad Sons and some rotation with our new customer Gel.
Bankonit became my newest paid member of D&D

Todays match features Bob Maidhof of Drexeline Billiards in Drexel Hill Pa.
vs Kieth Christman from Royersford Pa.
Final Score Bob-300 Keith-120

Highrun55

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Mick, we just got home, and MissyQ keeps telling me to shut up about playing Rotation today with Gel!:) I can't help it, that game is my new passion.

As always we had a great time today, and I'm glad I got to meet Bankonit, but didn't get to talk to him much since I was "wagering":)

talk to you soon,

MissyQ & Gerry

mthornto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
highrun55 said:
Pete Sinkler and I are trying to keep the interest in 14-1 going. It`s a shame more people don`t pick it up, what a great game it is.
Highrun55

Why not start a Straight Pool League? We have 2 here in Columbus Ohio, with a third starting next fall. I know of at least one league in Cincinnati and one in Indy. Bob Jewett is in a Straight Pool league werever it is he lives. I am sure there are many others spread out around the country.

I run the straight pool league I play in and would be more than happy to share how we do things if you are interested.

BANKONIT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Time

Great Time At D&d. Nice Open Place You Have There, Great Equipment. Gerry Said He Might Be Down To Yankee Club On Good Friday. Hope You And Pete Fill All The Tables All The Time.

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
mthornto said:
Why not start a Straight Pool League? We have 2 here in Columbus Ohio, with a third starting next fall. I know of at least one league in Cincinnati and one in Indy. Bob Jewett is in a Straight Pool league werever it is he lives. I am sure there are many others spread out around the country.

I run the straight pool league I play in and would be more than happy to share how we do things if you are interested.

Have tried that many times here over the years,
We have guys that play straight pool every day in the room, talk all the trash, but when you mention a league or tournament its no thanks,

They wont post the money up front for a league or when they saw they had no chance to cash, they drop out. and that screws up the prize fund.

I gave up years ago with this crew.

Kevin

Dr. Kevorkian of Threads
Silver Member
highrun55 said:
Have tried that many times here over the years,
We have guys that play straight pool every day in the room, talk all the trash, but when you mention a league or tournament its no thanks,

They wont post the money up front for a league or when they saw they had no chance to cash, they drop out. and that screws up the prize fund.

I gave up years ago with this crew.

Dispirited leadership suggests a little vacation time is needed.

So have them make it a round-robin for fun or bragging rights. If they play the game for love and fun, it can be done. There is a way, not necessarily about money. Bob Jewett has a handicapping system, some rooms post names of ABCD and XXX ball runners, it is possible a cheap touch of public recognition could spur pride onward.

Perhaps they could post here and explain the goals they would like to meet in forming a straight pool league. Leader of the pack then creates such league, not necessarily you if you are feeling burned out or suggestions not viral in nature.

If the point is straight pool and there are players, there must be a way to establish clear pecking order, and challenges to same. High run? Average run? Median run? Safety points gained? Let a spunky young buck take the lead, support him (or her), then kick some butt in the new system.

It's springtime, plant a few seeds, so help them grow.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin said:
Dispirited leadership suggests a little vacation time is needed.

So have them make it a round-robin for fun or bragging rights. If they play the game for love and fun, it can be done. There is a way, not necessarily about money. Bob Jewett has a handicapping system, some rooms post names of ABCD and XXX ball runners, it is possible a cheap touch of public recognition could spur pride onward.

Perhaps they could post here and explain the goals they would like to meet in forming a straight pool league. Leader of the pack then creates such league, not necessarily you if you are feeling burned out or suggestions not viral in nature.

If the point is straight pool and there are players, there must be a way to establish clear pecking order, and challenges to same. High run? Average run? Median run? Safety points gained? Let a spunky young buck take the lead, support him (or her), then kick some butt in the new system.

It's springtime, plant a few seeds, so help them grow.

Trust me, NO ONE is trying harder than Micky, and Pete down at D&D Family Billiards. That is the one place you could go to and guarentee seeing 14.1 for the last 25 years. If you take the time to check out http://www.thebilliardstour.com/dd-weekly-tournaments.html you will see the fight is on to bring 14.1 back there. Check out the list of players, and the structure for the "King of the hill" monthly 14.1 events...no entry fee, put your name on the list, winner keeps going.....$150 to the king! $75 to the looser for doing nothing more than playing a game to 300 points!....

Gerry