Irving Crane Greg Fix 1986 World 14.1

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Hey my old friend. Long time no talk. Hope all is well. We should catch up. FYI, there are some other Crane matches from this tournament. You do have those too? If not, I am happy to send them to you.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hey my old friend. Long time no talk. Hope all is well. We should catch up. FYI, there are some other Crane matches from this tournament. You do have those too? If not, I am happy to send them to you.

Jordan: I have the two others. Crane Sheahan and Crane Burke.

Any more??

What happened to you? Fall off the face of the earth?

Some guy is starting a straight pool league up at Pressure soon.

Two guys came from Milwaukee to Red Shoes this past Saturday to play in our straight pool tournament. Another guy from up by you. You still playing?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I wish people wouldn't post the Crane matches from 1986. By then, his skills had greaty diminished. I was there and I remember that he was pretty embarrassed by his play, which belied his great credentials as a champion. It was his last 14.1 event and it was also the last time I ever saw him.

A little like watching footage of Mickey Mantle from 1969, when he was a terrible hitter about to retire.

On the other hand, if anyone has the footage of Jack Colavita's upset of Mike Sigel in that same event, please post it.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I wish people wouldn't post the Crane matches from 1986. By then, his skills had greaty diminished. I was there and I remember that he was pretty embarrassed by his play, which belied his great credentials as a champion. It was his last 14.1 event and it was also the last time I ever saw him.

A little like watching footage of Mickey Mantle from 1969, when he was a terrible hitter about to retire.

On the other hand, if anyone has the footage of Jack Colavita's upset of Mike Sigel in that same event, please post it.

It would be nice if someone had some footage of Crane in his prime, but alas I fear there is none available. There is a little bit of him shooting a variation of 14.1 in that old 10/20 video but that is about it as far as straight pool goes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDlf5qp4tY

I'm sorry if it brings up bad memories for you, Stu. I'm sure people will take his play with a grain of salt and give allowance for his age. If you ever get a lead on some video of Crane in his prime or that Colavita/ Sigel match, please let me know.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It would be nice if someone had some footage of Crane in his prime, but alas I fear there is none available. There is a little bit of him shooting a variation of 14.1 in that old 10/20 video but that is about it as far as straight pool goes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDlf5qp4tY

I'm sorry if it brings up bad memories for you, Stu. I'm sure people will take his play with a grain of salt and give allowance for his age. If you ever get a lead on some video of Crane in his prime or that Colavita/ Sigel match, please let me know.

On several occasions, a link to Crane's 150 and out against Joe Balsis in 1966 has been provided on this forum. Now that's Crane in his prime!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I disagree, I enjoy it and have watched every match. His patterns and safety play are outstanding to learn from.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
That is definitely a classic. The reason I don't like linking to free versions is that Pat Fleming sells it at Accu-Stats

The Crane-Balsis match predates the existence of AccuStats by nearly twenty years. The match footage was, I believe, the property of ABC sports.