Checking the Score in 14.1 Games

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scoring errors are not rare in 14.1 games. Perhaps the approaching World 14.1 event (next week) reminded me of that, because I have seen quite a few scoring mistakes in that event over the years.

One way of checking for errors during a game is to look at the total score at the end of each rack.

General Rule -- The general rule is that the sum of the two players' scores at the end of any rack is a multiple of 14 (i.e., 14 x the number of racks played) minus the number of points lost throughout the game by both players because of fouls.

Example -- If 5 racks have been played, and one player has committed one standard foul (1 point), and the other player has committed one standard foul (1 point) and one breaking foul (2 points), then the total of the two scores should be 5x14 - 4 = 66.​

Special Situations -- I am aware of three situations that may affect the general rule:

1. 15th Ball Pocketed -- If the shooter made all of the remaining object balls on the table with his last shot of a rack, then the count for that rack is 15 rather than 14.

2. Three Consecutive Fouls -- If a player commits three consecutive fouls, the 15 balls are re-racked and the offending player must shoot under the requirements for an opening break shot. Since a player's third consecutive foul could have occurred at any point in the rack (i.e., after some balls have been pocketed), it may require an adjustment to the general rule (multiples of 14 minus fouls).

3. Stalemate -- If a stalemate occurs, the players lag and one of them then shoots under the requirements for an opening break shot. Since the stalemate could have occurred at any point in the rack (i.e., after some balls have been pocketed), it may require an adjustment to the general rule.​

Rule Accounting for Special Situations -- The sum of the two players' scores at the end of any full rack (14 or 15 balls pocketed) should be:

• 14 x (the number of full racks played),
• minus the number of points deducted for fouls (1-point standard fouls, 2-point breaking fouls, and 15-point serious fouls -- including any points assessed for unsportsmanlike conduct),
• plus 1 for each rack, if any, in which all 15 balls were pocketed,
• plus the number of balls legally pocketed in any rack in which a player committed his third consecutive foul,
• plus the number of balls legally pocketed in any rack in which a stalemate occurred.​

Last edited: