AZB'ers sweep Indy straight pool league

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
How cool was this? At the conclusion of our 19 week season (18 players, round robin + 2 extra "position round" matches, straight pool to 100) our 3 AZB members swept the top 3 places (probably all of those good hints from sjm, Blackjack, and Stevie L.).

From left to right: Second Place = sandianakid (IPT player, he's pretty good), First Place = anonymous lurker (carefully guarded screenname), Third Place = Williebetmore.

If our first place player had beaten sandianakid on the last night, I would have finished second. I think they cut me up.

Attachments

• Allisonwinners.jpg
    Allisonwinners.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 324

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I don't know about those two ugly guys, but the one in the middle is kind of cute.

Congratulations to all of you!

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I don't know about those two ugly guys, but the one in the middle is kind of cute.

Congratulations to all of you!

Blackjack,
It's good to know that your eyesight is still perfect.

I can tell you that I lost 3 matches to these players because of poor safety play strategy. Against this type of player; safety play is very different. If there are 2 loose balls and you leave them ANY ball to shoot at, they will probably make the shot and get on the other open ball. If there are 3 loose balls then they are almost guaranteed to make it and eventually get into the pack. It is EXTREMELY discouraging to play against this kind of firepower.

My initial strategy was to freeze whitey to the bottom rail, leaving a very difficult shot if they could see a ball (works great against the more average players - but the better shotmakers escape the bottom rail successfully fairly often). That strategy has failed miserably against the great shotmakers. I now just try to hide whitey from every makeable ball - but dang, that's tough sometimes.

Even against the superior shotmakers, though, the side of the rack safety still yields a "safety battle win" about 80% of the time - so I'm trying to do that as often as possible.

Last edited:

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Blackjack,
It's good to know that your eyesight is still perfect.

I can tell you that I lost 3 matches to these players because of poor safety play strategy. Against this type of player; safety play is very different. If there are 2 loose balls and you leave them ANY ball to shoot at, they will probably make the shot and get on the other open ball. If there are 3 loose balls then they are almost guaranteed to make it and eventually get into the pack. It is EXTREMELY discouraging to play against this kind of firepower.

My initial strategy was to freeze whitey to the bottom rail, leaving a very difficult shot if they could see a ball (works great against the more average players - but the better shotmakers escape the bottom rail successfully fairly often). That strategy has failed miserably against the great shotmakers. I now just try to hide whitey from every makeable ball - but dang, that's tough sometimes.

Even against the superior shotmakers, though, the side of the rack safety still yields a "safety battle win" about 80% of the time - so I'm trying to do that as often as possible.

So what your saying is Breakup would clean up in this league?

>>>>Ducks and runs for cover<<<<<

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow Willie with players like those other two maybe next year you will get more than three players in the league.

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
supergreenman said:

I'm not sure SGM, if they play Betmore modified rules (play until Willie is ahead and then he quits) I would still have a tough time with it. Apparently playing the other two players he was never ahead in a game.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
supergreenman said:

SuperG,
Yes; breakup would DEFINITELY be assigned to the janitorial service. No room for a bum like that in a league with real players. Very perceptive.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
breakup said:
I'm not sure SGM, if they play Betmore modified rules (play until Willie is ahead and then he quits) I would still have a tough time with it. Apparently playing the other two players he was never ahead in a game.

breakdown,
Well, at risk of dignifying your inane remarks with a response; I can tell you that I was actually ahead in all 3 of the matches (let's not mention the huge handicap I receive to start each match; they basically spot me 100 balls in a race to 200...I'm counting on your discretion to NEVER MENTION THIS TO ANYONE).

Against the winner I was ahead 80-2, then 91-28. I never missed a ball after I got to 50, and I lost 100-91. Stung like a biatch.

P.S. - you really sound a little bitter about your crushing defeat at DCC. Perhaps you should be practicing when you get home from working the drive-thru.

P.P.S. - There were 18 players in the league (you know, the same as the total of your fingers and toes).

Last edited:

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
COLLECTION GURU said:
I Know The Beautiful Lady In The Middle Is Ky Young Kim; What Do I Win?
you win a trip to the principals office and a 3 week detention.

Last edited:

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did you play

Willie,
At which location (pool hall) did the league play at? I like the overhead counters.

Isn't it funny JL is holding a placque with the first word "Allison" lol

Best Regards,
Hal in Ohio

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Hal2 said:
Willie,
At which location (pool hall) did the league play at? I like the overhead counters.

Isn't it funny JL is holding a placque with the first word "Allison" lol

Best Regards,
Hal in Ohio

Hal,
The league plays at Airport Billiards. Oddly enough, the only scoring strings are over the billiards tables and the snooker table. The pool tables have only the rolling counters built into the end rails.

Remember Betmore's Basement has much nicer 150 point strings, so drop by if you get the urge.

The league originally started as the Allison Transmission (division of GM) factory league. It has always been the "Allison league." How ironic.

Of course, we have had the same winner 2 years in a row now; perhaps it will have to be re-named soon as the "Jeanette league."

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie's basement

Williebetmore said:
Hal,

Remember Betmore's Basement has much nicer 150 point strings, so drop by if you get the urge.

QUOTE]

Willie,
Thank you for the invite and some Saturday I will take you up on it. My wife like to go to Indy to get her hair done for special occusions downtown at Studio 2000. It costs me an arm and leg but for free pool it would be worth it... lol

BTW what was the high run in your straight pool league? Back in the early 90's no one would even think of playing straight pool let alone form a league. Wish we still lived there for many reaons.

And did Tony Ventura or Tom Pickett or Waldo or carpenter John play in it?

Best Regards,
Hal

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And just between us ...

Willie the wife would rather work around your house, or in the garden or build neat stuff instead of watching two guys play straight pool.

LOL,

Hal

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Hal2 said:
Williebetmore said:
Hal,

QUOTE]

Willie,
Thank you for the invite and some Saturday I will take you up on it. My wife like to go to Indy to get her hair done for special occusions downtown at Studio 2000. It costs me an arm and leg but for free pool it would be worth it... lol

BTW what was the high run in your straight pool league? Back in the early 90's no one would even think of playing straight pool let alone form a league. Wish we still lived there for many reaons.

And did Tony Ventura or Tom Pickett or Waldo or carpenter John play in it?

Best Regards,
Hal

Hal,
Actually the Allison Transmission straight pool league has been in continuous operation for around 50 years. I don't know Tony or Tom. Waldo and Big Arm John have never been observed playing 14.1, and do not participate in the league; though we see them regularly in other money games at Airport.

I'm sure if you guys made a visit to Indy, we could at least have dinner with the wives. Remember that food, beverages, lodging, and pool are always free in Betmore's Basement; and Indy makes a nice little 1 or 2 day trip from Ohio(we have lots of room for guests). I'll send you a PM.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
u12armresl said:
That league was far more fun to be around when it served it's initial purpose and didn't just let anyone in, especially assh***s like Jeff B.
Whoa there big fella. That " asshole" has a pretty good reputation everywhere I have been in the country. He is also a friend of mine.

Is he an "asshole" because he snapped you off at some point? Jeff is one of the class acts in this game. The company he keeps attests to that fact. He is also a member of this forum.

I would like to know what caused you to throw out an unsolicited insult of that kind? I wonder if you would say the same thing to him at a tournament ?

My name is Justin Collett. I play on the northside of Indy and some of the tournaments at John Waynes on the southside, and was in said league for a little while this year.

Who the hell are you ?

Last edited:

Hal2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update

U12arm,
Thanks for the update on those folks.

Best Regards,
Hal

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
JCIN said:
Whoa there big fella. That " asshole" has a pretty good reputation everywhere I have been in the country. He is also a friend of mine.

Is he an "asshole" because he snapped you off at some point? Jeff is one of the class acts in this game. The company he keeps attests to that fact. He is also a member of this forum.

I would like to know what caused you to throw out an unsolicited insult of that kind? I wonder if you would say the same thing to him at a tournament ?

My name is Justin Collett. I play on the northside of Indy and some of the tournaments at John Waynes on the southside, and was in said league for a little while this year.

Who the hell are you ?

Anyone calling Jeff an a$$hole is just testament to the fact that, no matter who you are or how you treat others, not everyone is going to like you. If anything, Jeff might be TOO nice. He's a stand-up guy and a long time friend of mine as well.