Brunswick Gold Crown II Vs. Diamond

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright so I was having a conversation with a table mechanic yesterday and the question came up about which pool table to buy. He said the only pool table he would ever recommend is an Olhausen. Then I brought up Gold Crown and he said yes but only a Gold Crown II because of the adjustable legs.

What did interest me was when he said Diamond sucks and not to even consider it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if he was on bad terms with the Diamond company or not he seemed to allude to it.

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member
His opinion on diamond tables is a stupid one; you will always be able to find such stupidity in life about anything, from bowling eqipment to soccer balls, from basketball to ballet shoes, from vodka to fine wine there will always be someone around to say a world leaders product "sucks"; the trick is not to get sucked into the stupid

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His opinion on diamond tables is a stupid one; you will always be able to find such stupidity in life about anything, from bowling eqipment to soccer balls, from basketball to ballet shoes, from vodka to fine wine there will always be someone around to say a world leaders product "sucks"; the trick is not to get sucked into the stupid

I believe I phrased it wrong. Like I said I think there is some argument that went on between the Diamond company and this guy but I can't be sure as nothing specific was ever said.

To clear the air- the guy I talked to is a VERY good, VERY knowledgable table mechanic so maybe I should change the direction of this thread.

Can someone tell me what the main differences are between Diamond tables, Brunswick Gold Crown II, and Olhausen that you would be able to see in daily life?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe I phrased it wrong. Like I said I think there is some argument that went on between the Diamond company and this guy but I can't be sure as nothing specific was ever said.

To clear the air- the guy I talked to is a VERY good, VERY knowledgable table mechanic so maybe I should change the direction of this thread.

Can someone tell me what the main differences are between Diamond tables, Brunswick Gold Crown II, and Olhausen that you would be able to see in daily life?

In my experience, pretty much every table brand and model have some good and some bad attributes.

that said, the general consensus amongst those 'in the know' would be that early series gold crowns and diamonds are great tables.

olhausens can play well but have problematic pocket cuts and shelves.

you should have asked the next logical question of the mechanic who said diamonds suck; that being: "Why do you think they suck?"

was he an olhausen dealer? :D

best,
brian kc

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion, if its worth anything, is this, both the Gold Crown and the Diamond are great tables if setup right. True they are different playing banks and kicks. But both are a dream to shoot on.
I don't like the Oldhausen. I have only played on two of them but didn't care for either. Just my thoughts.---Smitty

PGHteacher

John Fischer
Silver Member

There are some people that are just petty, it's a reality of life; it afflicts most of the population.

There is no petty vs. good at what you do ratio they are totally separate things.

It depends just as much on how well it is set up, where it is set up, what it's setup with as it is what kind of table it is, my only advice would be not to decide on a diamond table and have this guy set it up; consciously or unconsciously he is going to do a less than great job no matter how good he is at it, pardon me if I stated the obvious there.

Like someone else said "there is a give and take to all tables", IMHO there isn't enough of a difference in the 3 tables for it to be of concern or even care; ANY of those 3 types being setup well, with the right stuff and in the right place is going to play great; and as for the differences, they are inconsequential because you will adjust to them in no time. If it were me I would pick the one that I liked the look of and I could get the best deal on, that's just my 2 cents; may or may not help, sorry if it doesn't.

MoonshineMattK

Silver Member
The key to any table is condition.

If you are looking to purchase a used table hold out for one in good condition. It will be worth the wait.

Remember the older a table is, the more likely you will find stripped bolt holes or missing parts. Wood under the rails or backing the slate can be stapled out. Slate or rails can be mismatched (from two or more different tables)

Take your time and learn all you can.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they suck wonder why most pro events and large tournaments are all done on diamonds ?

JUSTABANGER 2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is absolutely true of the Olhausens I have played on. They do reject perfectly struck balls.

Also, try this Diamond vs. Gold Crown thread out. Enough food for thought to keep you busy. And no, I would not buy an Olhausen period.

Yep I had an Olhausen for a couple of years it was very frustrating. You would be running a table and hit a ball good and get the Olhausen ''death rattle'' I got to hating that table. I sure hope your guy is wrong about Diamond tables cause I got one coming:thumbup:

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
Diamond Pro-ams are the best tables as far as playability and I think, appearance. Everything about them is just right, as far as pocket cut, shelf, ball return, rail width...

Gold Crowns are good tables too but just don't play as well as a Diamond.

As far as Olhausen... hmmmm....

Mike Sigel was playing regularly in our room in Orlando for a while, back before the IPT was in full swing and they were trying to decide between having Diamonds or Olhausens for the tourneys.. Well, both companies sent us comp tables and the Diamond was much more solidly built and if we ever had to move it, it only took a few minutes to re-adjust the level while the Olhausen would twist and take a half a day to get back to playing condition.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown or Diamond

I was in this same quandry a couple of years ago. There were plenty of Olhausen's to be had, only a couple of GCs, and no diamonds in or around my area (DFW). I made my decision this way:
1. I wanted a very durable table, preferable commercial quality, and similar to what the pros play on; this qualification removed Olhausen. Most Olhausen tables are home grade tables and don't have the same durability as GCs or Diamonds. I didn't want to run into leveling problems due to inferior hardware or structural designs.
2. I wanted something affordable that could be tuned up eventually to tournament standards. A good table mechanic can do this with just about any solid foundation, but I know most prefer the sturdiness of a GC or Diamond.
3. More GCs were available at a decent price. I bought mine for $700. It's a GC III and was tuned up by RKC. He can make any table play like a wet dream. He didn't seem to think there were too many negatives surrounding newer GCs, other than they weren't quite the same quality, but still better than anything else out there. With his tuning my table plays better than even a new diamond.
4. If I had the cash and could have afforded it right away, I would have bought a diamond. But the situation wasn't there at the time, and I love my cobracized GC more anyways. It's got a classic look with an updated playing surface. The best part is my wife thinks it looks great. I showed her a picture of the cocobolo diamond and she said it looked ugly! I'm happy to have my GC and it keeps my wife happy too. There's not much more I can ask of it, other than the winning lottery numbers....
Good Luck with your search-Ryan

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright so I was having a conversation with a table mechanic yesterday and the question came up about which pool table to buy. He said the only pool table he would ever recommend is an Olhausen. Then I brought up Gold Crown and he said yes but only a Gold Crown II because of the adjustable legs.

What did interest me was when he said Diamond sucks and not to even consider it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure if he was on bad terms with the Diamond company or not he seemed to allude to it.

Yes that mech. was a (I'll be nice) not so smart.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

----------
To my knowledge Gold Crown II"s are not the only Gold Crowns with adjustable legs or I should say adjustable feet on them.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
----------
To my knowledge Gold Crown II"s are not the only Gold Crowns with adjustable legs or I should say adjustable feet on them.

I'm sure your right but I was more referring to Gold Crown IIs being of the same make as the Gold Crown I but with adjustable legs. I believe something in the construction was changed for the Gold Crown IIIs but they may have adjustable feet as well.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure your right but I was more referring to Gold Crown IIs being of the same make as the Gold Crown I but with adjustable legs. I believe something in the construction was changed for the Gold Crown IIIs but they may have adjustable feet as well.

Actually I was referring to Gold Crown I's when I made that statement.
But you also need to remember when your talking about a table that old you will get gullies along the rails in the slate from use. Unless you are lucky enough to find a Gold Crown I or II that was hardly used, good luck with that. There is a reason almost all the biggest tournaments use Diamond tables, don't you think?

Fast Davie NC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in this same quandry a couple of years ago. There were plenty of Olhausen's to be had, only a couple of GCs, and no diamonds in or around my area (DFW). I made my decision this way:
1. I wanted a very durable table, preferable commercial quality, and similar to what the pros play on; this qualification removed Olhausen. Most Olhausen tables are home grade tables and don't have the same durability as GCs or Diamonds. I didn't want to run into leveling problems due to inferior hardware or structural designs.
2. I wanted something affordable that could be tuned up eventually to tournament standards. A good table mechanic can do this with just about any solid foundation, but I know most prefer the sturdiness of a GC or Diamond.
3. More GCs were available at a decent price. I bought mine for $700. It's a GC III and was tuned up by RKC. He can make any table play like a wet dream. He didn't seem to think there were too many negatives surrounding newer GCs, other than they weren't quite the same quality, but still better than anything else out there. With his tuning my table plays better than even a new diamond.
4. If I had the cash and could have afforded it right away, I would have bought a diamond. But the situation wasn't there at the time, and I love my cobracized GC more anyways. It's got a classic look with an updated playing surface. The best part is my wife thinks it looks great. I showed her a picture of the cocobolo diamond and she said it looked ugly! I'm happy to have my GC and it keeps my wife happy too. There's not much more I can ask of it, other than the winning lottery numbers....
Good Luck with your search-Ryan
Good Post!! I recall I was in the same situation not long ago! Love my wife and my Mark Gregory tuned GC4